Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. fisk0

fisk0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I returned to the store where I had bought it and it seems like it's specifically that the VivoTab doesn't work with Kingston's Class 10 64GB SDXC cards. I and a couple of store clerks tried a bunch of different cards over 20 minutes or so, and copying files worked without issue both on other Kingston cards and other brands of 64 GB cards, but consistently failed on the 64 GB Kingston cards (which work without issue on other machines). We didn't try with another VN8 though, so maybe it's just mine being weird, but at least I got another 64GB card which works, and I guess I would issue a word of caution for others considering getting Kingston 64 GB cards for theirs.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yea I've only ever tried Samsung and SanDisk on it. Those both work. Thanks for the warning.

3. NotesTaker

NotesTaker Pen Pal - Newbie

First time posting in this forum... if you know that these questions have already been posted/ discussed, please let me know where to look for... Advance thanks for your time!
    --
    I'm planning to buy a Windows tablet - primarily for notes taking. From the little research I've done, AVTN8 seems to be ideal.
    I have tried Surface Pro 3 (returned!), but felt it was way too bulky for me to take it around to meetings etc.. and hoping that avtn8 will be ideal.

A few questions for the owners of Vivotab Note 8:
    1. How do you rate the "Notes taking" capability (usability wrt writing/ Stylus/ using with OneNote etc... )?
    2. I was also planning on ordering the Wacom Bamboo Stylus feel Carbon that is compatible... Any experiences?
    3. Any suggestions for a good case and a screen protector? (Which one do you prefer Matte or glossy? any recommendations?)
    4. Have you come across a better tablet (for Notes taking)? Do you think 10" or 11" might be a little more spacious? Any suggestions in that case?

Cheers!

4. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

1: I really like writing on the Asus. I only use OneNote (Modern UI app, never desktop) I also have a Surface Pro 2 and a Galaxy Note 8 (which is Android). Also only use OneNote, but the Asus feels the best to me.
    2: I only use the stock pens
    3. Buy a case that you can use as stand, and I prefer a matte screen protector. I never liked writing on "naked" glass.
    4. It depends on what you really want with it. If you want to write whole books, I'd say: get pen and paper or, if you type fast enough, a keyboard. If you want to take quick notes, maybe add some pictures, the Asus is large enough to move around in, and small enough to carry around wherever you go.

NotesTaker likes this.
  5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

NotesTaker likes this.
  6. snoxu

snoxu Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got this a few days ago. Sorry if this has been asked before as I haven't had much time to fiddle with this device.

I'm wondering if click pressure can be set any softer than Wacom Pen (720-9) settings allows. I've already set it as low as it gets, but I'm still missing and repeating pen clicks quite often

If not I'm wondering if a better Wacom pen would fix this issue.

Another issue I have is I can't get the Onenote App to do a 50/50 split screen properly. The Onenote page area will only fill about a 1/3 of the screen.

That is all for now. Thanks

7. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

NotesTaker-

1) I didn't buy my VTN8 for note taking specifically, so I'm quite happy with it as it fits in my pocket and is great for sketching and like that. Having ended up in a math class, I tried the Asus for a few days before giving up and going back to paper.

For me the problem is that the screen just isn't quite big enough for taking notes quickly, and the inaccuracy at the edges makes my handwriting unreadable. I'd be a lot better served by a 10 inch model for that use.

2) I've also used 4 different styli: the stock one, good as a backup only; the Microsoft Surface Pro stylus, better but cheap feeling and the button is distracting since it sticks out so far; the Bamboo Feel Black model that is nicest to draw with but whose single button is hard to find, and has no eraser; and the Fujitsu 5000 series model with 2 oddly placed buttons and an eraser.

I use the Fujitsu stylus most but consider it and the Bamboo model to have roughly equal strengths and weaknesses.

The Wacom model has the best feel, hands down, as well as the least effect from holding it at various angles to the screen. It has stopped working on me twice, only to 'fix' itself before I can get it fixed, and its textured finish wore smooth and slippery in a matter of weeks.

The Fujitsu has been 100% reliable and has the extra button and eraser, but suffers from insensitivity to light pressure and sensitivity to angle to the screen. I bought it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-Digitizer-replacement-Stylus-T5000/dp/B00791UTH2

3 and 4: I haven't tried any cases or screen protectors.

NotesTaker likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This tablet is the ultimate note-taker IMO. Samsung S10 eraser pen with soft tip on matte SP is my preference. Hdmi out would be nice.

NotesTaker likes this.
  9. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Can anyone speak to the ADH warranty said to be included with the AVTN8? I spoke with a customer service rep just now, and he said that Asus's computer systems are down, so he can't help me. That, of course, does not inspire in me a feeling of confidence, especially since I want to buy another computer from Asus. But well, what are you going to do?
    Then, there's this:

http://notebookcare.asus.com/Content/US/ADP/ADP.aspx

As has been pointed out already on another thread, the exceptions of what is not covered listed on this link are laughably all inclusive. No "intentional or unintentional" damage is covered. I'm completely at a loss to know what sort of damage is neither intentional nor unintentional.

Has anyone actually availed themselves of Asus' coverage?
    Thanks in advance.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I finally found something my M80TA can't do. I can't run Lexis for office. It needs 4GB