Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. tigner

tigner Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, thank you!

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

First off, there's always something better on the horizon. So, if you want to wait for the new/better/shinier devices, you'll wait forever :p

Second, I have both the GN8 and the VTN8. For me, writing on the Asus works better than the Samsung. I can't describe why this is so, but when I write on the Galaxy, I feel I write with a felt-tipped pen (I think is the name in English), while writing on the Asus feels more like a ballpoint. I prefer to write with the latter :p But in the end, it's all about the OS. Android will never be more than a toy for me, because most of the tools I use are Windows only. (but I still wouldn't want to get rid of that Galaxy!)

3. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Amsterdam broke my record and made me remove and scan my tablet, bah. Fortunately the Note 8 fits inside one of those airport-sized freezer bags, so at least there is some barrier protection against the vile germ-incubation trays.

I like how easy it is to remove the Note from
    the Supcase, too. Perfect for reclining and messing around with while falling asleep on a red-eye flight. Someday I'll actually get my typing speed on the Win8 soft keyboard higher than 10wpm...

My laptop/s are now mostly gathering dust, unless I feel like doing a lot of word processing and no penning. The other advantage to microUSB is that I can also use the AVTN charger to charge my phone as well, cutting down on even more crud!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. Peter Rail

Peter Rail Pen Pal - Newbie

I am a new user and am wondering which wacom driver to install. The Wacom site specifies the 7.2.0_10 driver but the Asus support download is version 7209. Which one should I install and what needs to be deleted to get a clean install with no conflicts?

5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

You can download and install the Wacom Feel driver from Wacom's site. You can install over the current driver. What Windows does is to store the old driver such that if you uninstall the current driver, it will automatically reinstall the old driver you had. There won't be any conflicts.

6. fisk0

fisk0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I got the Vivotab Note 8 32GB a few days ago, and bought a Kingston 64GB MicroSDXC (Class 10) card for it two days ago, but now I'm running into a lot problems. It shows up as "Generic SD64G SD Card" in Windows' hardware monitor (not sure if that part is a problem, but the recovery SD card that was bundled with the device was not a generic card I think?), can only be formatted as exFAT - if I try to format it as NTFS the format just fails with an unspecific error.
    I had intended to install some software and simpler games on the SD card, since the main hard drive only has about 6 GB free on it with Windows 8.1, but it seems like I run into problems whenever any files larger than a few MB are copied onto the card. I first installed Steam onto it, and the install itself went fine, but when it tried to do updates it would just stop at 7-10 MB out of 13. I then installed Steam to the main harddrive and instead created a SteamLibrary folder on the SD card and tried download a 60 MB game to it, but it too fails after downloading around 7 MB with a "Write error".
    Thinking the card was faulty, I returned it to the store I bought it at, and got a new, identical Kingston card, but the problems remain the same.
    Looks like others here have been successful installing 64 or even 128 GB SDXC cards on the device, so the size shouldn't be an issue? Shouldn't Kingston also generally be reliable enough for it to be unlikely that I've gotten two faulty cards in a row?
    Anybody have an idea of what could be causing this, and if there's anything I can do on my end?
    Could it be the internal MicroSD card reader that's faulty, or just some software issue?
    I don't have any other MicroSD cards to try with, but I've considered buying a cheap 4 or 16 GB card to see if the results are the same, which I guess should show if the card reader is at fault.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My guess is the reader is faulty. Seems more likely than two faulty cards. You should be able to format to NTFS.

8. trenzterra

trenzterra Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it just me, or is anyone else often experiencing errors with Windows Update?

I keep getting the 8007371B error from time to time, and usually I would have to do a refresh/repair install in order for me to install future updates. All the DISM and SFC /scannow stuff doesn't work. It gets really annoying after a while.

At first I thought it was because I kept force shutting down the tablet (because of the stupid wake from sleep issue) , so after my latest refresh install I stopped doing it altogether.

Barely 3 weeks later, the same problem happened again. Thankfully, System Restore was able to get it back this time.

I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat as me? Or is there something wrong with my eMMC?

9. kekinash

kekinash Pen Pal - Newbie

I recommend you first to fix the sleep issue, like I used to have, downgrading the bios to 207, is the only one that works perfectly on my tablet. Then you will need to do a factory restore using the recovery. Seems you windows install is corrupted beyond repair. But you need to fix the sleep issue before.

The dd command I used to get the right bios size was: dd bs=2048 skip=1 if=207 of=n207
    where 207 is the bios file name to be modified and n207 is the output file.

10. trenzterra

trenzterra Pen Pal - Newbie

Well the thing is since I last did a fresh install, I always managed to wake in the tablet somehow so I did not have to resort to a force shutdown, so this problem shouldn't even be happening to me.

What happened with the recent update (450mb) was I think my tablet entered connected standby and somehow or another windows couldn't update properly even though I did not encounter any wake from sleep issues throughout