Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. mournerjack

mournerjack Pen Pal - Newbie

Evenings all. Long time stalker, first time poster here.

Been familiarizing myself with this fun little toy for a few weeks now. So far, so good. (Tho I still can't get used to Win 8.1... Coming from Android, I have no clue what they were smoking when they decided it was a good idea to put this OS out as it is. Unwieldy for desktop use, infuriating on a tablet. But I digress.) This thread has been invaluable when it comes to ironing out some of the kinks in the system, so thanks to all the posters are in order.

Now, onto the actual question I had. Has anyone experience with switching out the OSK? Maybe a recommendation, idk. Preferably something highly customizable, as far as layout goes. Or has MS, in their infinite wisdom, locked down this part of the OS? ("Yeah no, you don't want customizability, we know better. THIS is how you want to do things, trust us.") The whole point of the exercise is, I got to playing around with the gaming potential on this thing (Fallout 1&2, Bloodbowl, anyone?), only to find out there are issues playing some games without getting a physical keyboard. Namely, trying to get anything running in a window to respond to controls. Now, some games work fine and dandy with the current OSK, it's just that I don't really need that many keys for most situations. Also, there's the black background. Hrm.

I have tried both GestureWorks Gameplay and Virtual Gamepad, neither of which seem to work for this situation (GW won't work without fullscreen, VG is... a little rough. Also, not really customizable enough for my purposes.)

/wall of text

TL;DR: Looking for a custom/customizable on-screen keyboard for gaming. Recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey mournerjack,

not really a answer to your question but i am playing a lot games with the note 8. At the moment Tie Fighter and Dishonored. I am using the Ipega 9023 Controler and x360ce and Joytokey . That is working out great (for me).

Here is a link to the Ipega with Dell basicly it is the same with the note 8.

3. trenzterra

trenzterra Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, I've a USB OTG cable and have recently tried to plug in my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my external hard drive to transfer files. However, it seems to detect them for a while, then disconnect, detect, disconnect, and the cycle goes on.

Is this a sign that my tablet can't supply enough power? Plugging in mice and thumbdrives seem fine. The funny thing is when I hook them up to an unpowered USB hub and then to the tablet, everything seems to work fine!

Is my OTG cable at fault?

4. mournerjack

mournerjack Pen Pal - Newbie

I was not aware those controllers came in tablet sizes nowadays. I was on the verge of hacking up a version myself from a regular x360 one... I'll have to look into sourcing one of those instead. Not quite what I was after, but a good lead nonetheless. Much appreciated.

(And after re-reading my question, I did realize it would have been more at home on a generic Win 8 forum. But it came up while fooling around with my VTN8, so.)

5. Mitch Miller

Mitch Miller Pen Pal - Newbie

I just recently purchased the 64 GB edition of this tablet. I am unable to find any map program I can use with my GPS. I tried the HERE maps but I only get point A to B directions and no turn by turn, I've set to allow the app to use the location services.

Also when looking at the Asus drivers website do I want to install all of them which are a higher date than my purchase date or the build date on the back of the tablet?

And how do you update the bios? Or are there still issues with it? It appears 209 fixed an issue I see where when it's charging sometimes the percentage never changes.

And should I be pressing the power button when I am not using it and is that what puts it into sleep mode? Or do I need to do something else?

6. thkn777

thkn777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    thanks for all the hints in this thread.

In case you run the german version of Win8.1 the Wacom driver updater will direct you to the EU website instead the US one. As a result it will try to download and install v.7.1.2.9 drivers instead of the v.7.2.0.10.

Don't do this - the US version works in landscape mode at least, while the EU version is buggy.

After some testing I decided to go with a Wacom Bamboo feel stylus and Artrage for drawing/painting. UI usable on the 8 inch display, starts up fast, doesn't need the Wacom feel drivers, 'lag' is not too bad compared to many other programs.

One minor thing - the paid version won't disable 'finger / palm painting' for me, while the free Starter version of Artrage does it. Already opened a posting in the Artrage support forum and asking for advice there.

With kind regards,
    Th.

7. person135

person135 Pen Pal - Newbie

The guy I am buying it from is a nice and trustworthy guy. He says he has been using the tablet for 4 months, after which he upgraded to the newly released Surface Pro 3. Since he doesn't use this tablet anymore, he gave me the tablet to let me play with for a few weeks. Since I've been busy, I've only had the chance to play with it starting today. There have been no issues so far, but I'm also using a SP2 stylus (he is looking for the stylus that came with the tablet). I doubt he still has the receipt, and even if he does, there will only be a few months left until the 1 year mark.

I plan on testing it out for maybe a week or 2 more, but right now I feel inclined to buy it because it's been issue free, and I'm worried that if I buy a new one, it will arrive plagued with issues. The pros for buying a new one include I can get a 64GB one for $229 on amazon currently (will it be even cheaper during black friday?), it will have a fresh battery, and that it will have a warranty. But will the battery difference be that great, and will the Asus warranty be able to fix any issue? I read that some RMA end up with just an OS reset.

8. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

A little horror story...

I plugged in my Note yesterday morning as I had forgotten to plug it in overnight (or rather, I was too tired and just put it behind me on the shelf instead of trying to fiddle the usb cable in...). So, by evening, I wanted to write something down (it's our time to invent something for Christmas this year and I had thought of something, where else to put that down except in OneNote!). So I picked up my Note... Which was still attached to the USB charging cable and as I was turning away from my desk, it pulled from my hands and fell on the floor...

Oops...

Thankfully, I have my Note in a sturdy casing and it survived the fall without any damage...

I love this little tablet!

2.0™ and Mesosphere like this.
  9. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

The closest thing you'll find for turn-by-turn navigation is Streets and Trips and MapPoint (which has been discontinued by Microsoft).

HERE says that because majority of tablets do not have GPS so they are not adding HERE Drive+ to Windows 8 yet and will focus on Android. They do have it for Windows Phone 8 though, so I'm not sure why they don't just port that. I thought the point of Windows 8 store was that apps in between are easily interchangeable?

I found this, going to try it when I get my tablet back tonight from RMA: http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/download/

10. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

Here in the UK I use AutoRoute 2013 (European version of Streets and Trips) which is still purchasable by download from Microsoft UK here until December 31st. Maybe it's the same in the US or where ever you are? I also have a large collection of mapping at many scales that I use in MemoryMap. MemoryMap doesn't do turn by turn navigation though it does have GPS tracking.

Both those programs need a serial port connected GPS so I use Centrafuse Localizer from http://localizer.centrafuse.com/us/ to map the internal GPS from the Windows 8 Sensor and Location API Platform to a virtual serial port for use with both programs. Localizer version 4 stopped working on the Note 8 a few versions ago but the latest version 5 seems to have fixed that.

http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSView/default.htm is a useful free diagnostic to check GPS is working.