Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Pretty much except in the area that matters most to a lot of us; stylus usage.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. person135

person135 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does that include navigating different browser tabs and windows? What if you use the Surface Pro stylus with the Asus? Does that make it better

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

They stylus and tablet tech are not independent. You can't use the Asus pen (Wacom) on the Sp3 or the Sp3 pen (N-Trig) on the Asus. They are incompatible. Anyway the pen isn't the problem with the Asus it is the strength.

Solrax likes this.
  4. Jet_Stream

Jet_Stream Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have been following this page ever since I bought my very own AVTN8 and I thought maybe I should also give my remarks on the tablet itself. I had no major issues with the tablet so far, good for students and quick design sketches, and yes the design is a little solid IMO.Only issue I have are the stylus slot is loose, it rattles like an ungripped bolt, but the pen doesn't slide off, it could be a build fault, and the corner/bezel bug on the stylus or screen is still somehow present

The atom baytrail Z3740 processor in this tablet build don't have turbo boost 1,80ghz,..all 4 cores are stuck or locked at 1,3ghz..I can see it at the PC info and UEFI,..Now, Maybe that's something I should complain about..

In Comparison to the DV8Pro, well, the wacom stylus is the only big thing here...SSD:) vs eMMC:( etc.. DV8Pro seem to fair better in other areas

Overall, the tablet is quite alright,I use it everyday, got some slowdowns on some desktop apps, but it could have been great if it has better hardware IMO, perhaps the MS Surface Mini would best this tablet if it gets released

5. person135

So what issues are there exactly? So far people have only said things along the line of "the pen isn't great" or "the dell is better than this in most things we care about", but no one has said what the issues are exactly. What specific issues are plaguing the device?

6. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

I have experienced:

- "Pen stops working" you pull out the pen to do something and there is no cursor, it simply doesn't work. You look in the Windows Device manager and the pen input I2C driver is showing an error. Sometimes it comes back after a reboot or a wake or sleep cycle or simply starting/stopping the device. Eventually however none of these work and you have to RMA it and hope Asus actually does something aside from reinstalling the OS, or you open the back and reseat or adjust the cables yourself, or you do as I did and follow Mesoshpere's instructions and order a replacement digitizer cable from DigiKey and replace it. That fix seems 100% reliable so far.

- Display stops working. I am the only one I know of who has seen this. Went to turn it on one day and it appeared to be dead. Rebooting, restarting, power cycling, nothing worked. In a darker room I realized the backlight was on, and if I pressed the back I saw pretty colors. As I did so, the display suddenly flickered to life. I carry my tablet in a messenger bag with books etc. Apparently pressure on the flimsy back caused the exposed (when opened) display cable to flex and a conductor to break. This cable seems to be custom and I have no idea where to get a replacement. Temporarily I have put some foam between the back of the case and the cable to put pressure on it that seems to make the required connection. It will be sent back to Asus for RMA before my warranty is up because this is not a permanent or reliable repair.

- Hot spot on display. I don't know anyone else who has reported this. My display has a bright spot the size of a pencil eraser. It doesn't show against black, but is an area that is brighter than the surrounding area whatever other color there is. Very distracting, but not quite worth RMA'ing yet just for that. Seems to be an Asus thing because my Asus Android table has them larger and all over the place (after warranty expired of course.)

Others have reported:

Touch stops working - problem and fix are similar to the Pen stopped working problem described above.

Display issues - others (Bronsky I believe) have described working, but badly corrupted displays.

These are the ones that I can recall.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

mUSB no longer works with the stock charging cable. Other than that, you seem to have encapsulated it.

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Also some people have faced (not me), CPU overheats (Bronsky), WiFi problems (dstrauss, probably others).

On mine, one speaker doesn't work on one device, and the microphone is very bad on the other device.

It seems to crash more often than the Dell did ...

In summary it tends to be more problematic than the Dell. It isn't any one issue and most people don't ever encounter any given issue (except the pen/touch stopped working), but if you add up all of the issues all of us have faced ... I think issues crop up more frequently than they do for the Dell. There you go, nice and vague =)

9. person135

Thanks for the explanations. It seems there is one bucket with people who have received some faulty device, and another bucket where people have had good experiences with their tablet. This is definitely a risky purchase. Would it be safe to say that if I bought a used note 8 that has had no issues so far, it probably isn't a faulty device?

10. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe if you trust the person you are buying it from, and they'll give you their original receipt. The risk is high enough you'll need to send it to Asus for warranty repair you'll want to be sure you have enough documentation that they'll honor it. Otherwise I wouldn't buy one used unless it was dirt cheap.

Kumabjorn likes this.