Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. person135

person135 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I'm interested in buying this tablet, but I haven't been keeping up with the issues/problems (if there are any). I'm only using this as a ipad mini replacement but w/ flash and basic desktop functions. Is the tablet worth buying or does this tablet have so many issues that I should wait until something better in the same form factor comes out?

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Sounds like your needs are not pen dependent. In that case, I would get the Dell Venue 8, the Thinkpad 8 (deeply discounted lately), Toshiba Encore or any number of BayTrail 8" W8.1 tablets. They are far less expensive and you don't have to deal with the digitizer issue. If you need a pen, however, this is the tablet and the quality issues are "tolerable".

Solrax likes this.
  3. Greenlee

Greenlee Pen Pal - Newbie

Its pretty certain that you will have to send the tablet back for rma at least once also so be prepared...I think Asus really penny pinched with this model.. Just flexing it and feel the hollowness of the tablet makes you want to get a Surface Pro instead.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

If you subtract the pen issue, I think most people don't require an RMA. So for someone willing to self repair the cables, I think an RMA is far from a guarantee. I think even without the pen issue the rate of RMA's is still probably on the high side, but certainly not a certainty.

I have a surface pro. Feeling the hollowness of the tablet doesn't make me want to use my Surface Pro for the use case the M80Ta fills. I want an ~8" sub pound device for its role. I don't want a ~ 2 lb large screen (large lever arm) device.

In person135's case, if he is after a small tablet because of the size, but doesn't need the pen, then Bronsky's advice is spot on. If he is after a small device because of the price... Bronsky's advice is still spot on =P If he does want the pen and the size, then he has a decision to make. Build quality of some of the larger tablets vs. suitability of the smaller form factor. In my own evaluation the quality issues are "tolerable" in light of the suitability considerations. My SP is collecting dust (actually my wife uses it a lot).

5. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't understand comments like this. It almost seems that there are two version of this tablet. I have an early 64GB M80TA-DL004P (and also a Surface Pro) and I find the build quality of the Asus very good. It doesn't flex at all and feels solid in the hands with extremely good fit of the plastics. The pen is a very accurate fit in the silo and the buttons are very precise in feel.

Perhaps it is just that there are good ones and bad ones, or maybe they have more than one factory producing them.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Just goes to show you that even Pegatron can build a good one every once in a while.:vbrolleyes: My unit feels solid. The pen fits perfectly in the silo. But, the display is in the process of failing and the mUSB port no longer charges with the stock cable and charger. My tablet has gotten heavy use for the past 7 months, so it is not babied and has to show up every day to work. Parts of it have held up fine and parts have not. But, the tablet is not what I would call durable.

Solrax likes this.
  7. person135

Actually the pen will be a big part of my use. I don't really need to draw things, but I want to be able to control windows functions pretty easily with the ben, and I heard that the Asus has a better stylus technology. Will a combination of the Dell/Asus + better stylus work (and which one)?

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

What do you mean by Dell/Asus combination? The technologies in the Dell Venue 8 Pro (Synaptics) and Asus M80Ta (Wacom) are completely incompatible.

If all you need is a more precise pointing instrument, the Synaptics tech in the Dell is probably good enough though. If you want to take a lot of handwritten notes, it is probably better to go with Wacom (the Asus).

9. Bronsky

If you need a pen to take notes, the Asus M80TA is the only game in town. The 8" Toshiba Bay Trail tablet is rumored to have an N-Trig pen but I've not seen any for sale.

10. person135

What kind of issues do the Asus Vivotab 32GB/64GB have? Is the Dell better in every aspect?