Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ihavetwohands

ihavetwohands Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm talking about turning it on when it is in standby/sleep mode. In this state, if I hold down the power button for a few seconds, it'll ask me if I want to shut it down.

And very much so in regards to the price. There are cheaper Android tablets, but most of them, if not all, run old versions of the OS on hardware much worse than the Bay Trail 8" tablets. They'll probably never be updated either - aside from the ability to load a custom ROM.

I did consider simply upgrading to the 2013 Nexus 7, but it would be somewhere around $80 more expensive than the VivoTab Note 8 (and hey, I wanted to try Windows 8 on a tablet for a change). The just-announced Nexus 9 is tempting, though :).

About the screen; I was mostly talking in terms of the display sitting much further back and not very close to the actual glass like you see with some higher quality devices these days. And just general build quality - but I suppose it is to be expected from a device at this low price.

All in all, pretty good.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For turning it on out of standby, the start button seems to do this more reliably (for whatever reason).

3. Mesosphere

Yea, this is something that really stood out to me when I switched from my Dell Venue 8 Pro, but these days I don't even notice it.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If you have created an ICC color profile from your calibration and you would consider sharing it, I would love to have the ICC file.

5. d german

d german Pen Pal - Newbie

My FIIO E18 was capable of charging it to approximately 30% while I was using it (approximately 2 hrs). It is by no means precise, but I know it works. Check the specs of the E18, and it will give you an idea what type of charger you need.

--dmg

fishdavis likes this.
  6. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I only noticed it now, because it was mentioned...

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

That sounds reasonable. It is listed as 3500 mAh, which is usually based on 3.7V for the lithium cell. That is equivalent to 13Whrs and the M80Ta's battery is 15 Whr. With a efficiency of say ~75% the battery pack should be able to charge around 2/3rds of the capacity (while not using it at the same time). Two hours of use could easily burn 4-5 Whrs, so I think it is basically working as expected. You need something in the ~5500 mAh @3.7 V (20Whr) range to fully charge it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    fishdavis likes this.
  8. J D

J D Pen Pal - Newbie

To wake it up from standby/sleep mode, you only need to press (not hold) the power button or the Start button.

Sweetpea8472 likes this.
  9. ihavetwohands

ihavetwohands Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I know that. What I'm saying is that sometimes it requires more than 1 press to work. In other words, the power button isn't as responsive as one would expect. I was actually not aware that you could wake it from sleep using the Start button, but it seems to work much better than the power button :).

10. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Me neither! I always use the powerbutton as that is more conveniently placed, but I also have that "problem" that it doesn't always respond as well as it should.