Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Neither would many of us, unfortunately there is no high price (and hopefully high quality) option available to us. If windows, 8" and Wacom quality pen input is needed, we have to make do with the M80Ta for now. At least the cable problem is fixable.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Just got my Nokia back from repair. Ironically, it was having touch issues. I got a rebuilt phone that seems to be working perfectly. One down, one to go. I'm trying to figure when I will have the time to get to the MS Store with my M80TA. I would like to get it exchanged.

I would love a penabled TP8 or anything built reasonably well in that size with a Wacom digitizer. I just don't think anybody sees the market for a higher priced 8" tablet. Asus really went with bottom dollar components on this thing.

3. J D

J D Pen Pal - Newbie

A couple days ago, my touchscreen failed due to error in device software reported error. Today, my inven sense sensor failed in the same way, which caused the auto rotation of screen stopped working. I fixed it by uninstall and install the device again. So, it's a software issues. I guess it must be some kind of conflict some where. Something in common in these 2 incidents is I turned on and off Bluetooth a few hours before I noticed the problem happened. I normally disable my Bluetooth. However, I am not sure this is the trigger to the problem. I also put the machine into sleep a couple of times before this happened too.
    Anyway, not a big deal, easy to fix.

4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nop, this is just the first symptoms of the cable issue.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. J D

J D Pen Pal - Newbie

ah, is Asus aware of this? Is better cable used when it is sent back from repair? A small problem can make big damage to the company reputation as in this case.

6. Mesosphere

It appears to be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left one is doing. Some parts of Asus seem to be aware of the problem (particularly in Singapore), other parts seem to be oblivious (units returning form RMA with a simple OS reset). The cables I got in my RMA for my first unit look identical to the originals, however they haven't shown any signs of failure (~5 months now). Asus reputation has already taken a beating among people who have owned this tablet.

On the bright side, the digikey cables seem to be good so far, and a little bit of fiddling with the existing cable seems to remedy the situation in most cases. However, that is little consolation for those that are unaware the problem is self repairable and/or are squeamish about self repairs.

Solrax likes this.
  7. J D

J D Pen Pal - Newbie

It may be easy to replace the cable by ourselves. However, I am very hesitated to do that because, by doing so, we could void the warranty of the unit.

When RMA the unit, do you need to send it to Singapore? Do you need to pay for the shipping cost?

8. Mesosphere

Yea, it may void the warranty, although, if you are careful not to muck up the case (like I did), they probably would have no way of knowing. That is definitely an important point though.

I don't think sending it to Singapore is an option unless you live there. There were just reports of people being able to bring their tablets to local repair facilities and having them fixed on the spot by replacing a cable. That news was the key hint that led to my DIY fix.

9. ihavetwohands

ihavetwohands Pen Pal - Newbie

Update after having had the tablet for a week:

Pretty good. I haven't had any issues with either the touch screen or pen so far. The power button isn't too great, however. It appears that you have to press it in a certain way for it to work sometimes. The other day I spent almost a minute trying to get the tablet to go out of standby-mode.

I haven't managed to take off the back yet to look at the cables (manufacture date: 04/14). It seems more firmly attached than I had expected and I didn't want to potentially scratch anything by using a screwdriver.

It's definitely noticeable that this is a very cheap tablet as the overall build quality is most certainly on the low side. Even my 2012 Nexus 7 feels more solidly built (and also has a better screen).

But performance-wise, there is nothing to complain about. Certainly not at this price.

10. J D

J D Pen Pal - Newbie

To turn it on, you need to press and hold the power button for about 2-3 seconds until the very small light on the button lights up.

There is no doubt that the build quality is not on the top. However, for the price that I paid and its capability, it is a very good tablet and I am very happy with it. If you look around, this may be the best priced Windows tablet on the market. Certainly, there are cheaper Android tablets, but not Windows.

Regarding to the screen, it would be nicer if the resolution is higher. I think the original Nexus 7 has the same resolution but a 7" screen. The screen is better after I used my Spyder to calibrate it. As far as I know,there is no screen calibration solution for Android and iOS. So, if you want the right color, you have to stay with Windows.