Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

with bluetooth I get a short delay when I first start typing...it takes the first letters a few seconds to appear...once they do however there is no lag after that initial one. I get this on my Cintiq Companion also...with it's default bluetooth Wacom Keyboard...so not just on the Note 8. Therefore I never gave it much thought.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My display has striations in the LCD layer. They are all horizontal, viewed in Landscape position. There are now about a dozen. They're about 2" long and appear translucent while the functioning pixels remain solid looking. They've been progressive. For the longest time, I only had a couple. Lately, they're multiplying like crazy. My display is nowhere near as bright as yours.

3. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone any recommendations for an external travel power bank for the AVTN8? I've seen a few listings on Amazon that specifically say they won't charge Asus tablets (but will charge other 2A tablets) but I have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. michaelws

If you ever find out why the ASUS Note is different, causing it to not be compatible with travel charging units...hope you'll inform us. Seems strange if it is in the same class as other tablets that are compatible.

5. fishdavis

I poked a bit more on google and found a forum post that said it charges 15V and 2A. (that might not be for the AVTN8 so please don't take that as gospel) I'm no electrical engineer so I guess that's a rare combination?

But for example I was looking at the Anker battery packs which go 'compatible with all phones and tablet brands! Will automagically adapt to your voltage needs! Don't worry about it blah blah'

*scrolls down*

'except Asus tablets'

sigh.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I don't think it is different beyond requiring the data pins be shorted. That is the same for pretty much all windows tablets though. My Anker battery pack works fine as do all the wall chargers that short the data pins. Samsung, htc phones as well most 8" windows tablets (among many others) do this. It is fairly common practice. Further if you use a "charging cable" which itself shorts the data pins you can use pretty much any USB charger.

7. michaelws

Not being tech savvy I don't understand "shorts the data pins."

8. Mesosphere

Basically the two wires that carry the data signal are connected together.

michaelws likes this.
  9. fishdavis

thanks Meso. is there an easy way to tell if I have a charging cable that shorts the pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mesosphere

I think you have to buy it special. Chargers that short the pins are common but the cable is less common.

If you have a multi meter you could test it though, but the pins are small so it might not b easy.

fishdavis likes this.