Asus VivoTab Note 8 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

iad-artwork...be safe. Wish I could do more than pay lip-service to such a horrible situation. My thoughts are with you.

Solrax and iad-artwork like this.
  2. iad-artwork

iad-artwork Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, you're right, I just left the device to sleep, then had this issue, and yes I2C HID Device is showing an error.. So I'll try to fix the cable or something, but I'm not sure how to open up the back cover yet..

Thank you very much, you're very kind.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I have a youtube video linked to in the thread. It takes less than a minute to open up. Very easy if you are not squeamish about that sort of thing.

iad-artwork likes this.
  4. iad-artwork

iad-artwork Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot! I managed to open it from the top corner near power button.
    I took the touch cable off and on, (both cables are too long somehow), and now everything is working good again! Thank you

Solrax likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Amazing!

iad-artwork likes this.
  6. ihavetwohands

ihavetwohands Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there!

Long post incoming...

First time visiting as I have been researching low-budget Windows tablets for the past couple of days. I have been pretty set on the VivoTab Note 8, but reading about all of the issues people seem to have is certainly not making the decision easy.

Is there any note on devices manufactured after the first batch? Do they have the same problems?

I don't actually need the pen which is why it's easy enough to look at other tablets, so I was wondering if any of you have some advice to give. I would primarily use the tablet for media consumption (primarily browsing, videos and reading) and hopefully a game of Hearthstone here and there.

The Lenovo Miix 2 seems to have a good amount of issues too (failing touch functionality).
    The Acer Iconia W4 appears to be big and bulky, but otherwise seems to have few reports of failures.

Then there is the Toshiba Encore of which Toshiba recently released new ones of. The first edition with the Z3740 CPU (and 2 GB RAM) seems awfully hard to find at a decent price in Europe, but the new Encore 2 8-inch is available for less than the Miix 2 and VivoTab Note 8. However, it only has 1 GB of RAM which sounds like it could be a problem and the Z3735 is actually slightly worse than the Z3740 by the looks of it (I don't imagine this being perceivable in daily use, though). The 10-inch model can be had with 2 GB of RAM for an extra 115€ while still sitting at 32 GB of storage and the same 1280x800 resolution.

So that leaves the Dell Venue 8 Pro. This seems to be a good choice if only I could find it at a price similar to the other 8 inch models... As it stands, I could pretty much be getting the Encore 2 10-inch with 2 GB of RAM for almost the same price.

In regards to 8" vs 10"; I don't have a particular preference, but I would like to be able to use the screen comfortably in portrait mode here and there. Something which I didn't find very possible with my old Asus Transformer TF101, although this one does have larger bezels than the Encore 2 from what I can tell.

Other experiences with tablets include the Nexus 7 from 2012 - the one I am replacing as it has had problems for months now (random reboots, unable to boot etc.).

I would quite like to purchase the Asus, but it sounds like you can almost be certain that there will be issues only a few weeks down the line.

7. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

I've actually had camera issues since day one I got it. Sometimes the cameras won't work, and opening the Camera app would cause it to BSOD, right out of the box.

Although I haven't had them since going for the pen RMA.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

@ihavetwohands You sound like a perfect candidate for the new HP Stream tablets at $99, sure they are low end but they will do what you want, they'll beer ubiquitous so you can find accessories even at Wal-Mart.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

2 GB Ram would be a minimum configuration for me. I have monitored my tablet's performance and I am often above 1GB of memory utilization. Haven't seen the stream (can't even begin to tell you what image that name evokes) but I would only get one if it had 2 GB RAM or was expandable (not likely). My guess is that the 8" Toshiba Write will have 2 GB and cost a bit more. NTrig pen and mHDMI port.

10. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

I wish there were a way to swap out my note's 2gb for 4gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk