Asus Vivotab Note 8 ctrl key stuck?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BrDavid, Jun 1, 2017.

1. BrDavid

BrDavid Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, I've recently bought a vivotab note 8 mainly for taking notes on the go, drawing sketches. My main problem with the unit is that the ctrl key sometimes get stuck(?). I have no idea how and it happens random times, 90% of the times i didn't even pressed the button. When I'm hovering the pen, there is the little box beside the cursor with Ctrl written in it, and i can't click on anything. It happened both with windows 8 and windows 10 (even after a clean install).

2. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure what the problem is, but have a guess. If you are using an aftermarket stylus with the factory one in its silo something like this can happen.

I use a Fujitsu stylus with mine, and noticed that sometimes I'd get false clicks registered when hovering over the lower left corner of the screen in portrait mode- near the ctrl key on the OSK. Eventually I realized that somehow the stowed pen and the one in use were interfering. I tested the idea by removing the factory stylus while using the aftermarket one, and the problem stopped.

I solved the problem by applying some aluminum foil tape in the silo, around the stylus tip, to impede electromagnetic interaction there. It has worked perfectly as far as I can tell.

Not sure I'd open the case just for that, but chances are you'll need to soon enough for some other reason- cable replacement or whatnot.

I hope this helps you get to the bottom of the problem!

3. BrDavid

BrDavid Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the answer. I'm using the factory stylus, nothing is inside the pen holder. I've already opened the case because of cable replacement (had to replace the touch screen and the stylus cable).

Meanwhile I've been reading about Wacom driver issues with Mac. It's called sticky key and it seems I have the same issue. I'm using the latest feel drive from Wacom, maybe this could be the problem. I will do a fresh install after work with only the Asus drivers and will report if it solved or not.

(Sorry for my English)

4. glassonionz

glassonionz Pen Pal - Newbie

Same problem here and without any keboard atttached. Sometimes are the CTRL, WIN or ALT keys that seems stuck and I must Restart Windows, but at the time the problem reproduces again. Any idea? I have plug in a USB Keyboard and the problem persist, nothing changes. Seems a problem with Wacom Driver or with the Touch Keyboard. Please help.

5. cocklederry

cocklederry Pen Pal - Newbie

I was getting the same thing: factory pen, nothing in the silo, randomly decides to start holding ctrl, alt, win, or some combination of the three. A few times it went away on its own, but for the most part if I wanted it to stop I had to restart the device.

So a little while ago I uninstalled the wacom drivers and just let device manager detect it as an I2C HID device instead of a wacom device. It seems to have solved my problem but I'm not sure if that's because it was actually a driver issue or because it's an inconsistent problem to begin with.

6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

7. BrDavid

BrDavid Pen Pal - Newbie