Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I received it and tested it with an usb2vgae3 that help me to have a big screen.
    Less than 2% lost in 4 h. That's really great. :):):)

Rodney likes this.
  2. thierryb

Day 2 : When it works, its effectively great. But It is better to have battery bar to control that it "working". And you should need to reconnect many times before seing a 0 in the discharging rate.
    I am ready to buy another one from another manufacturer, if it has the same feature, but if it is more reliable and seems more solid.

3. zikmir

zikmir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I'm new to the tablet world and this might be the wrong place to mention this. I just bought my first table the "Asus VivoTab 8" It is pretty decent but i have a major issue. There is no hdmi and no MHL. I tried the android MHL USB to HDMI dongle and it didnt happen. I really don't have enough money to spend ($80) for Miracast in Canada, Is there by a long shot any way to make the usb port fire an hdmi signal? If there are any forums that people are working or have ideas, please direct me as well.

Thanks !

4. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi zikmir,

This is what I have bought and tested to work fine:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S08ADI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another option is to return this tablet and buy one with micro hdmi slot if you do not really need the pen function. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck to this model.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. zikmir

zikmir Pen Pal - Newbie

What sd card? My version does have an SD card. And i asked for a cable solution not a $60 device. Is there a way to utilize the standard MHL method? For example a cable like this:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Micro-USB-HDMI-MHL-Adapter/dp/B005NG71K8

I know windows does not support MHL, is this a hardware limitation or just software/driver issue? Also it sucks to have not being able to charge while utilizing the port. I found this but the comments indicate that it does not work.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Data-Transfer-connecting-compatible-Accessory/dp/1059983354

Kindly if any one has an insight on the matter, perhaps any info would be appreciated.

6. thierryb

If you want a second or bigger screen, you will need to buy an usb displaylink device. I use a startech one, the reference is usb2vgae3.

With the AVN8 you cannot charge and use an usb device, but you can not discharge and use one or more usb device. It is not perfect, but it let me use a big screen during a day, without missing power at the end of the day. You will find in this thread a link to the hub I bought on aliexpress.

The AVN8 is not perfect, but it plays quite well the role of my main computer since more than a year now.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    WillAdams and Bronsky like this.
  7. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry it was my type mistake. I meant micro hdmi plug which provides better and cheap mirroring capability.

8. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

Any hardware hacks tried to get this working?
    • Bypass micro USB port and charge battery directly leaving micro USB port free for USB devices?
    • Solder one or two full USB extension cables somewhere on the motherboard for use with USB devices leaving the micro USB port for charging?
    • Any other hardware hacks like 'permanent' internal 256 USB storage?

9. thierryb

Not yet. But perhaps you will find a way for us?