Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Stresspresso

Stresspresso Pen Pal - Newbie

Have not tried downgrading any drivers yet, but I did get the cable I linked above, and its a fast and easy way to get the zero drain state. Using the little OTG-Charge switch makes the process a snap.

2. garagebattle

garagebattle Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you report back on how successful this has been?

I ordered the same hub with the switch. Can you give the instructions to make it work?

Swear this is the most frustrating damn issue.

Thanks!

3. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

4. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

check this out. Scroll down. they say this is tested with the Note.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...inkpad-8-X98-M80ta-WT-8-Miix2/2038609573.html

(from the Venue thread). This
    Of course, waiting weeks is a lot of fun :D

I also have a Mixx 2 and yesterday looked around for any updates to this . Had been using a Y cable, + OTG+adapter+ hub, which works but is not very pretty.

Apparently, there are all sorts of adapters now for the Mixx and Venue. The Note is apparently not friendly to this, but this adapter in the link looks like it might work.

Of course, I haven't a clue what's going to work. I bought a adapter for the Miix yesterday. Maybe that will work with the Note. At least the Miix hasn't been a problem.

Personally, I think these tablets are the best thing since sliced bread. But i'm worried about what the companies are going to do next. I've read they lost money. Hope that's incorrect. Then again, they also seem to be addicted to pumping out just about anything :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    cmergel likes this.
  5. ravescar

ravescar Pen Pal - Newbie

flick switch to microUSB end, connect it to tablet + charger, tablet should now charge at full capacity

plug in your usb device, flick little switch to USB end, tablet should recognize usb devices and maintain charge(but does not charge).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Bronsky likes this.
  7. Mac jones

there appears to be solutions now coming from China and US, for all the tablets. I just bought another Y cable for a Toshiba W8 (I use for HDMI), that apparently is made for it. I seems this seller (or sellers) modify this Y cable for a lot of the tablets ( Sort of like the cheap cases modified for each brand of tablet).

Got to hand it to them.

Here's a link to the cable I just bought for the Toshiba (for reference).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231258147649

8. garagebattle

alright i have received the y-cable and the mini hub.

y-cable: would not charge my tablet at all

mini-hub: the minihub works to hold the battery level with no discharge. plugin the hub to the tablet, plugin the microusb charge cable, then whatever USB devices you want into the hub. move the switch to position 2, then back to position 1. you get the charge indicator that indicates charging for a little bit, then moves to 'plugged in'. i left the screen on for 3 hours, with a USB nano receiver for kb/mouse, and a USB PS3 wireless adapter plugged in.

62% when i started, 62% when I checked it just now. I also unplugged the hub to check the battery level, and the battery stayed at 62%. Rebooted with no hub/charger hooked up, and battery is still at 62%.

Cool part is you can use the switch from 1-2-1 position to re initiate the charger/plugged in mode without having to pull the cable out or turn the screen on/off. On top of that you get an awesome little hub.

This is the one i used:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univ...inkpad-8-X98-M80ta-WT-8-Miix2/2038609573.html

AriWS, WillAdams and thierryb like this.
  9. Mac jones

Well.... I just tried that Alliexpess hub and it works. Not only that, but this thing apparently charges ALL OF THEM LOL
    It has a switch with 3 settings, which covers about all the tablets. Setting one works with the Note and my Miix 2 (but the Miix never was an issue).

So I only tested this with these and it 'seems' to work. Of course the way these things act who knows?

BTW, the guys who threw this together must be congratulated. It's a rather clever thing.

WillAdams likes this.
  10. garagebattle

my guess is its utilizing the low amp charge mode (of 3 modes available) so the tablet is not switching the port to 'charge only' mode.

kept mine running for a day with the screen on, few usb devices plugged in, no issues.

now i get the fun job of dumping all this bluetooth keyboard and mouse crap back to amazon/ebay

also anyone want to buy a dell OTG charge/hub?