Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. BenGman

BenGman Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the Official Dell OTG Data and Charging Cable before I read that it would not work. Well it does not work as intended but I do have a use for it.

The Dell OTG Data/Charging Cable has actually replaced my other OTG Cables. The Dell stays in the AVTN8 (during an extended session of tablet use) so I would not have to keep plugging things in and out of the tablet. I just plug the charger/USB devices in and out of the Dell Adapter instead, thereby, hopefully preserving the life of the AVTN8 micro USB port.

2. angelorpheus

angelorpheus Pen Pal - Newbie

the alimented otg cable trick its just an illusion...

you see the battery with a stable percentage, ..unplug the cable...and you will see the REAL percentage

(a loss of 40% for me after 1 hour of intensive usage)

don't waste time tryng

3. gadgeteer

gadgeteer Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, no. It works. I have been running the setup I described in my earlier post for two weeks now, with external HDDs and a DisplayLink compatible monitor and my tablet is not losing charge if set up the way I described. So, until you want to tell me, I am incapable of properly checking my battery after doing deliberate tests on this for two weeks, I stand by it: The no discharge trick works.

4. hellwasta

hellwasta Pen Pal - Newbie

Any news for any fix and does anybody tried to update their bios??? I know they have fix for the usb so maybe the otg and charging are fix with bios update. I did not see anyone who told he tried to update the bios. As soon i receive my tablet i can try.

5. gadgeteer

gadgeteer Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the latest bios installed and there was still no charging, while using OSB OTG (only the strange no-discharge state). I'm not sure, if that is something, that COULD be fixed by software.

There are different ways to wire up the micro USB port to give you charging and data capabilities, that's the reason why solutions that work for the Dell Venue 8 Pro don't work for the AVN8 and vice versa.

6. ravescar

ravescar Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Roost

Roost Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while and was excited when I saw gadgeteer's posts insisting that the no discharge-state works. I got all the hardware gadgeteer recommended on the prior page (like the powered USB OTG hub), and unfortunately for me, I am in the camp where I see the battery charging and at a stable level until I unplug the device and find that the battery level has significantly dropped. The multiple peripherals including the usb monitor do work at least, but the discharge makes it less useful.

I'm wondering if I may have missed some kind of setting that enables this mysterious no-discharge state.. I have the latest Bios (210), did the whole slow plug to get the battery icon to show charging initially, and set my tablet to not go to sleep. Despite this, I still loose charge. Any help on getting this to work would be appreciated!

@ hellwasta: have you had any luck with your set-up? Could I be missing a setting or something?

8. Jet_Stream

Jet_Stream Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to wake up the thread but does anybody here still use the Ultra compact self powered USB-OTG that detective Claud recommended from amazon??,o_O Does it work?,:vbconfused: or was it just an illusion like what angelorphy was saying, that sounded like killing battery and hardware frying on the insides:eek:

9. Stresspresso

Stresspresso Pen Pal - Newbie

I had a similar powered USB OTG hub mentioned in this thread from before I got the tablet, and could have sworn the first day I used this tablet I got it working with charging. Used it for 6 hours strait and checked to see it was still charged at the end. Then forward a few days later, and I've updated everything I can on my tablet and I can no longer keep a storage drive hooked up and the device charged. Even though on my 6 hour trip I had a storage drive, usb peripherals attached, I was watching stuff from off the storage drive, and playing games all while still having over 90% charge on the thing in the cab ride back home.

So now I'm not sure if I just did the 0 discharge trick right my very first try, or if updating drivers has changed how this thing works. I contacted Asus about my problem and they told me that I should update my wireless drivers (?) but those are over a year old so I'm pretty sure I already did that. You can download old drivers too though, so I'm wondering if downgrading some of those might also work? Either way Asus didn't tell me that the device can't charge and use OTG at the same time. However customer service reps knowledge is usually based on assumption rather then device specific knowledge, and Charging + OTG isn't some crazy new concept.

Oh and yes, I can do the 0% discharge trick, with some amount of success. It's not 100%- 0% discharge though (wat?) and the fact that just checking to make sure it's working means I have to stop it from working makes it almost useless. It seems backlight brightness effects how much my tablet gets drained. If I keep it at full I notice almost no benefit, but if I put it down to 1/4 or less it's much less of a drain. Testing this kind of stuff is a serious pain, so I havn't done it much. My routine was putting on a youtube playlist, playing it for an hour and checking the battery level afterwards. I usually only get about 1-2% drops where I'd normally get at least a 10% drop over an hour of watching youtube videos with it unplugged. I havn't tested with the screen brightness at minimum- because I kind of do want to watch the stuff on the playlist- even if I'm doing a test of the device. So I'm sort of working my way down on brightness, to see if there's a sweet spot.

Finally, maybe it's my charger, I noticed right away that simply attaching to my comptuers USB to charge wasn't helping at all, and finally got the 0 discharge to work in some way with my phones Samsung 1A charger. So maybe if I used the original charger, I could get better results? Also waiting on getting one of these cables, hoping that the little switch will be a more reliable way to get this 0 discharge state versus the slow insertion thing. Plus the fact that the cable in question can use microUSB to charge makes it far more useful then that USB to AC cord setup that the powered USB OTG hub uses.

10. garagebattle

garagebattle Pen Pal - Newbie

Any update on this? I bought the Dell unit and yeah no good. Ive got another Vivotab coming in that I will start with bone stock with recovery, and check the Dell adapter before and during updates, see if there is an update that breaks the charging.