Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

Rodney and Claud like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I don't get the point of the device on the AVN8 to begin with. If it doesn't charge the battery, then it's basically useless. I don't fond any utility in a 0 discharge state.

3. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

In my use pattern, it is far from useless. 0 discharge state means the tablet can be used in desktop mode forever without losing any battery.

The usb 2.0 displaylink adapter can still deliver an OK performance together with the AVN8 in the desktop mode.

Actually apart from the surface pro series, you don't see a noticeable charging speed on other clover trail/ bay trail devices if they are in use (10% gain in 1 hour use with screen on maybe?).. So 0 discharge in use is not that bad..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use both my M80TA and my X301 Thinkpad side-by-side at my desk. While my tablet is at my desk, it is charging. That way, whenever I take it with me, I don't have to give the battery a second thought: it's fully charged. That is why I do not find the idea of a 0 discharge accessory to be a big help. I would wind up having to decide between use and battery readiness. It's a shame that Asus did not build into the device the possibility of docking it like you can do with the Dell 8"er.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Dell didn't build this in either. It required third party hacks to make this possible.

It seems you may be missing his point though. Zero discharge does make docking it practical. Docked+tablet use probably results in significantly more use throughout the day with no opportunity to charge it. I know if the docked Asus was my desktop it would certainly not last the whole day if it discharged while docked. If it simply maintained charge while docked though, I could probably make it.

In any case though, I have no interest in cabling up my tablet. It would make writing on it difficult =P

6. Guyya

Guyya Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had any luck installing and using mouse/keyboard sharing software on the Asus and another computer with peripherals? For example, there is Syngergy or Mouse Without Borders . I've tried both but never successfully got either working—however, I was trying to do it via my smartphone hotspot which may have caused trouble.

Any tricks to get things working?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. anurag

anurag Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Waltibaba: I tried and get exactly the same results. Have you done anymore experiments on installing ubuntu? Thanks

8. anurag

anurag Pen Pal - Newbie

9. awe300

awe300 Pen Pal - Newbie

hi- ho so you connect this exactly?

that cable has a male micro usb, a female usb a and a male usb a

the tablet has a female micro usb

can you tell me where you connected the USB power adapter? do you need another cable for it?

10. gadgeteer

gadgeteer Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this thread isn't exactly the newest anymore, but this seems to be an issue that a lot of people have and that a lot of people are interested in.

I have been fiddling around with this for a while and found that a) No, charging while using USB is not possible, but having the Note 8 in a no discharge kind of state does, as described above and b) that it works with a lot of different y cables, but it's a bit fiddly.

The two versions I got to work were:
    1: a powered USB OTG hub like this one
    or
    2: a normal USB OTG cable and then a Y cable like this one

Both options need a powered USB hub, if you want to use anything more power hungry than a USB thumb drive or a usb mouse/keyboard.

I found, it's not necessary to switch the Note 8 off/put it in screen off/standby mode, but here is how I go about it:

I make sure, there is no USB device connected to my hub/USB cable rig (make sure to plug the data leg of the Y cable into the USB OTG adapter, NOT the power leg or it won't work), then connect the power. AFTER connecting the power (and this seems important), slowly insert the micro USB plug into the Note 8. You might have to try it a few times, pull it out a little, plug it back in, until you see the charging icon come on. For the first few seconds, it will look, like your device is actually charging, but the charging animation will stop as soon as you plug in your USB devices.

I recommend using a powered hub (so yes, technically, you need two power outlets), which you should, again, plug into the power first, then into the USB port of your hub/USB cable rig, that is now connected to the Note 8 and then, go nuts with your peripherals. Right now I have my Note 8 hooked up with the USB OTG hub, which connects to a Y cable like the one above, both draw power from a power brick like this one (eliminates the need of two power outlets) and the Y cable is then connecting to my Asus MB168b+ USB monitor. On top of that, I am using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to complete my little desktop workstation.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT! click on the battery icon! This will force another handshake of the charging/data connection and the system and go back into data only mode and you will have to tear it all down and set it back up (unplug the Note 8, unplug all your peripherals from whatever for of connection you've chosen, plug the OTG back in, convince it to go into charge mode, plug your USB stuff back in).

So, is this an ideal solution? No, of course not, but it works and for me it works quite well. It has made my Note 8 about ten times more useful to me (with the big monitor, which works completely fine, even with just the USB 2.0 connection).

A little disclaimer at the end, though: I am not sure, how well the micro USB port and circuitry of the Note 8 will stand up to this form of treatment (power and data at the same time) over a prolonged time. I take no responsibility for any fried hardware whatsoever. I'm just sharing what works for me (and this setup has been working for about a week now, pretty reliably).

OleksP, Kumabjorn and solitaire01 like this.