Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Rodney

Rodney Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Claud,
    Thanks for the great detective work!
    (If you open the Japanese site in the Chrome browser, Chrome offers to translate the page into English for you. Which turns out to be a sort of best guess broken English, but nevertheless you can get the gist of the conversation.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Claud likes this.
  2. lordu

lordu Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I just ran across this "problem"

I was hoping to see if I could charge my asus vivotab note 8 by connecting the tablet to as PC USB port. But alas, it did not :(
    I suspect that the amperage which comes from the USB port isn't high enough to reverse the voltage going from the PC into the note 8.

The 500 mA (max amperage) given by the USB 2.0 standard across all USB 2.0 ports is too low (that can charge the tablet).
    Hence why the power icon doesnt change or show it is charging.
    Which is why the the given power supply (the one that came in the box) is rated @ 2 amps. That can charge the note 8.

I also plugged into the note a 5 volt, 1 amp power supply into the asus. The icon changed and shows it charging. So in, conclusion, just based off my 2 minute test.
    The note can charge even at 1 amp, but not 500mA (1 amp = 1000mA) supplied by a generic USB 1 or 2 port.

- U

p.s. thanks for the post on the amazon link and japanese blog, Ill probably order one now lol.

3. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Good point lordu. AVN8 might just not show charging icon when the input mA is too small.

However this might not fully address the "problem". Same to what the blog mentioned, I too notice that there is not only no discharge but also no charge on AVN8 when follow the process in the otg mode. The author managed to play online game with three usb devices connected in harf an hour time without any battery loss. I also experienced 0 watt battery discharge in similar period with full screen brightness.

Now I can say the tablet is definitely not charging in the setup. But the uncertainty lies in the maximum load it can hold without using the battery. Unfortunately the linked adapter doesn't give a spec on the wattage of the power supply so it is not very easy to do some accurate calculations. I will try playing some heavy games with otg devices and see when I can break the unchanged battery level and report back.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried the same thing with the same connector and mine does discharge when connected to power and when dongle inserted? So, looks like this may not be a fix... discharge.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi greatg,

Here is the steps that passed my test and worked for me:

1 Screen off AVN8
    2 Make sure the nothing connected on the usb adapter
    3 plug the adapter to AVN8 micro usb charging port.
    4 connect AVN8 micro usb charging cable to the adapter with power.
    5 Turn on AVN8 screen

Now your AVN8 should already be in the no/less discharge mode. And you can now plug your otg device/usb hub to the usb port on the adapter to use your devices.

Note:
    1 If the screen is back off, you have to remove the device on the adapter's usb port. Repeat the step 4 and 5.
    2 do not change windows power plan in the 0 discharge mode as I found it somehow break the charging setup.

More photos on my test: I managed to see a tiny discharge on the tablet when I ran a graphic intensive game (WSOP from store)
    uploadfromtaptalk1398991352647.jpg

After I exited the game for a while:
    uploadfromtaptalk1398991385918.jpg

Normal internet thing plus downloading. Please notice the small change of the "current capacity"
    uploadfromtaptalk1398991454083.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1398991474207.jpg

Please let me know if you still have the issue to put the tablet into the 0 discharge mode.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. reg21

reg21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Any place to buy that adapter from europe?

Regards!!

thierryb likes this.
  7. philby337

philby337 Pen Pal - Newbie

Claud likes this.
  8. Solitude

Solitude Pen Pal - Newbie

Bumping this thread so new owners can find it.

This thread needs to be stickied.

OleksP likes this.
  9. juanpa74

juanpa74 Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the adaptor described in your post in amazon us.
    It is not working for me. Maybe mine is defective.
    If I connect just the power through this adapter shouldn't the tablet start charging? I mean without anything connected to the USB port.
    I tried in two different tablets (the ASUS Vivotab and one running Android) just to test if it charges without using any USB connected. None would charge. Power wouldn't go through.
    If you plug your adapter between the power cable and the Vivotab note. Does it charge?
    Thanks.

10. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

No, the tablet will not charge even if you simply plug it with the adapter with only power connected. The adapter is only able to stop the tablet from discharge.

It is a bit tricky to make the tablet work. My advice is to setup a different power plan that never automatically turns off the screen in battery mode, as I found this could break the charge&discharge balance when the screen turned off.

After you switch to a never sleep power plan, you can then try the following steps and see if you can get your tablet away from discharging:

1. Screen off your M80TA with nothing connected on its microusb.
    2. Connect the otg adapter only with power and connect it to the tablet.
    3. Turn screen and then plug your usb hub to the adapter.

You may wait a few seconds in each step. And in my experience, it is not always 100% working. But once you have followed this process, you can just use your tablet a while and check the battery level. If you notice the battery level remains the same in about 15 mins, then it works.