Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

1. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, overnight. No charging, no discharge either. Keeps the level where it is. Seems that all devices & AVN8 are using external power while connected this way but definitely no charging the battery. At all.

Can you please refer me to the mod you mentioned? I only tried the method mentioned here in the OP.

Claud likes this.
  2. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you post a photo of your "charcing/otg-workstation" describing all the cables etc.? I tried one solution (https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=e361775b8231f2e5&id=E361775B8231F2E5!13375&sff=1&authkey) but the AVTN8 doesn't recognize the mouse while it is attacket. Pheraps because of I don't use any hub?

3. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Look, all I did is that I built the cable described in the OP with a switch between microUSB pins 4 and 5. Then I used a regular y cable for connecting external power and USB drive simultaneously. That´s it. Sorry no capacity to go through this step by step but this is really straightforward, would be not much more to explain here anyway.

4. DavidQ

DavidQ Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Folks, I have been following this thread for a while hoping for a solution.

I think this is it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1094775787/port-power-usb-at-the-same-time

The Project met budget and has closed, but they'll be selling these on Amazon next month.

They've tested successfully with the Asus T100, but not yet with the Vivotab Note 8. They're going to try to get a test unit.

When they have replied to me with results of their test, I'll post back here to let you folks know the outcome.

I think my perfect Note 8 setup now looks achievable!

5. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the news David! It is very promising. Please keep us updated!

If they can hack the otg charging, we will be able to do that mod as well! lets see whats gonna happen!

6. Waltibaba

Waltibaba Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys dunno what happened to my last post there that was cut short, I wrote this long post but the forum editor somehow cut it off. Whatever, wasn't that important anyway.

That +port thing might be interesting, please keep us updated DavidQ!

Right now I'm working on booting Linux (got some time during the Easter holidays). I've gotten it to boot off a USB with the new 207 bios and the instructions posted here: Ubuntu (or other Linux) on the Asus Transformer Book T100 | JfwHome

It's running on an unpowered 4 port hub with a mouse, keyboard, and booting off an Adata UV128 16GB usb3 stick with the latest ubuntu nightly (2014-04-14)

I modified the grub entry to video=VGA-1:800x1280e reboot=pci,force (since our screen is 1280x800 and we know portrait is default - that's why the Wacom Feel driver has the axes reversed).
    Boots perfectly, but doesn't read:
    - microSD (throws block read errors in dmesg),
    - capacitive digitizer,
    - wacom digitizer
    - wifi
    - bluetooth
    - hardware keys
    - acpi system (doesn't recognise it's a laptop/has battery etc.)

internal flash is mounted at /dev/mmcblk0 with partitions at mmcblk0p1-mmcblk0p4 (kinda like phones, so not on a sata-like interface)
    Screen res works perfectly, setting the rotation in display settings to counterclockwise makes it really usable with mouse/keyboard.
    Tried shrinking the main partition mmcblk0p4 by ~6GB, but it gave me an ntfs error, also gparted is really slow since I think it searches for /dev/sda forever.

Our best chance atm though, is to wait for further Intel commits to the kernel, 3.14 already added lots of Bay Trail support, and the future ones will be even better. Maybe once it's all fixed, we could make an installable image with all the fixes included...

I might make a new thread for this though, since its quite off-topic, or I could rename this thread if I'm allowed, to something like AVN8 hardware/software mods/tricks/etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    surt likes this.
  7. peter.j.caldwell

peter.j.caldwell Pen Pal - Newbie

The Kickstarter project port+ (data and charge at the same time was, as DavidQ says, successfully funded. According to the developers' website, Amazon is now taking pre-orders, see below copied and pasted from the site:
    "Purchase
    +port is available for preorder on Amazon and can be found at: http://amzn.to/1ivMxG8

Delivery is scheduled for June 2014". I'm a backer. The developer says it was developed for Dell Venue 8 Pro and similar Windows 8 Tablets. I've also got an Asus T100TA. I don't know if it will work with the T100 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. netkillercat

netkillercat Pen Pal - Newbie

vivotab note 8 ubuntu 14.04 LTS - YouTube

ubuntu booting up 14.04 i have ubuntu installed on my vivotab note 8 dual booting and i booted up android also clover for hackintosh was installed and
    manage to boot a osx made for atom dell mini but black screen android black screen also im using old targus port replicator lol :eek:-

WillAdams likes this.
  9. netkillercat

netkillercat Pen Pal - Newbie

persistent USB install of Ubuntu for the vivotab note 8 windows 8.1 tablet
    also found a way to skip sdcard so no more error at boot witch is the reason for error mmcblk0rpmb bla bla and persistent don't work and just makes booting better no errors for sdcard so Ubuntu wont waste resources on that it don't see it at all
    its a 4 gig persistent casper rw on the USB my boot flags
    :hi2:

if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
    set gfxmode=auto
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod gfxterm
    terminal_output gfxterm
    fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Try Ubuntu without installing" {
    set gfxpayload=Yes
    linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper video=VGA-1:800x1280e reboot=pci,force sdhci.debug_quirks rw --
    initrd /casper/initrd.lz

any one with more info or a way to mount sd with out error please share hope this help people out

10. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks,

Now I can confirm that sszz's valuable findng is valid! The AVN8 can hold the battery level when in the otg mode. And moreover, the most important thing is, THERE IS NO MODIFICATION REQUIRED to achieve this!

After read sszz's post (quoted), I did a bit research however could not find any related topics with clear solutions in english. Then I tried to extend my search in my own language (Chinese) but was still no luck until a recent search led me into a Japanese blog by chance. Though I could only read the Chinese characters in Japanese, I realised the author found the way to use the otg and charge at the same time for the AVN8. I tried to guess by the Chinese & English characters plus the screen shots and roughly picked up the process described in the article:

1. You need a self powered otg adapter (the article lised one in Amazon Japan but it is also available in Amazon US. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ETL53AS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_XANxtb08ZESS8 ).

2. Connect the otg adapter to the tablet with the power supply but make sure the otg usb is not connected to any device.

3. Power up the tablet.

4. Connect either an usb 2.0 adapter or usb 3.0 adapter or just a device to the usb and enjoy.

The process is double confirmed by practice. I ordered the mentioned usb otg adapter and followed the process and YES, THE TABLET IS HOLDING ITS BATTERY! (NOTICE: The tablet will however always be in the Windows battery mode in this setup - the power icon shows no power plugged in, but the tablet has 0 discharge in this setup, until the tablet goes into sleep/hibernate. This means the tablet somehow has switched itself from using the battery to directly using the power. Clearly what you need to do, is to make a new power plan that NEVER allows the tablet to automatically change into the sleep mode when using the otg with power. You will notice your battery level stays at the same level and discharge rate is 0.)

[​IMG]

Some may ask if the unchanged battery level is just a display bug in Windows 8.1. The answer is no. I had the tablet screen on with full brightness for over 30 mins and it remained at 90% (see attached screenshot). To test if it is a display bug, I turned my AVN8 off. Then unplugged everything from the tablet and turned it on. As expected, the battery level stayed the same after the reboot.

Conclusion: There is no need to send money to any hacking otg charging projects to achieve the simultaneous otg use and charging. You could do it easily by using a self powered otg adapter. Plug it to the AVN8 with the power connected and then turn on the screen, you will find the tablet is actually not using battery anymore.

Further test required: Though I tested the linked the usb adapter and can confirm it works, I don't see any special hack/design on this adapter. Thus I assume a cheaper self powered usb otg Y cable would work the same to our AVN8.

At last, the credit of this great find goes to sszz and the author from the blog in Japanese. The article link is http://s.ameblo.jp/kawazuko/entry-11791596364.html

This adds more value to our favorable AVN8. Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bronsky, Rodney and ineffableMF like this.