Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Perhaps you can try a longer time. Because if it is not discharging, it is already a good news.

2. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, nothing like that. It can hold the charge at best or slowly discharge, when in "OTG mode". As I switch to charge mode, it starts to charg the device normally.

Any input is higly appreciated. Thanks.

3. Mac jones

Mac jones Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't believe they all dropped the ball with this. What an oversight. The Miix works normally, but it might be by accident (likely, considering...). The Dell only works because they made a mistake and the USB controller malfunctions. This one looks DITW for this.

I have iPads which have always suffered form this affliction, and i'm tired of it. How stupid can it get? LOL Not only that, but when an IOS gets low enough on battery, it shuts down and will not start again for like ten minutes until it charges up a little, which is incredibly annoying.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

CONSPIRACY NUT WARNING GOES HERE

I am convinced no ball was dropped at all. These are almost all (except for the Lenovo's) based on the Intel reference design, which apparently makes it difficult to impossible to charge and use IO, nor connect to an external monitor EXCEPT using a subset of the WiDi standard which is basically only good for streaming media content, I assume (there I go again) only usable because of some buffering mechanism.

Anyway - all of this inhibits (prohibits?) these from becoming extraordinarily cheap desktop replacements in tablet clothing. Surprisingly, I'm ok with this only because I have the 4.8# Acer Beast for REAL work, and I am desperately trying to discipline myself to using the Asus as a companion device. Sure, in an emergency, it would be great to fill out the device, but then would I really ever need to carry the Beast? Would I ever need to buy a Beast replacement in the future?

Or, perhaps, they just can't afford the extra $0.54 in parts to add HDMI and another $0.33 for the power plug with the $50 per unit tribute they pay to Microsoft (those numbers, of course, made up from whole cloth)

Maybe the ThinkPad Tablet 3 will change all of this and give us the true tablet experience (size and weight) with the horsepower to go desktop without the compromises involved with the SPro 2?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

No conspiracy theories needed.... Intel and the OEMs learned their lessons during the Netbook craze which would eventually hastened the erosion of the PC market. They have positioned Bay Trail Tablets as companion devices to complement AIO or Ultrabook Computers not replace them and everything in that use case is seen in what has been released.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:eek: Does that mean I'm not crazy? DON'T ANSWER THAT!" :eek: :cool:

jnjroach likes this.
  7. Waltibaba

Waltibaba Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, sorry I didn

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  8. Rodney

Rodney Pen Pal - Newbie

That okay, we forgi

Bronsky likes this.
  9. antonioz

antonioz Pen Pal - Newbie

10. Claud

Claud Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you manage to check the battery status after a longer period? Can you confirm your modification of the usb hub based on Dell's solution will at least hold the battery in the otg mode (meaning it is still charging but just slow)?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.