Asus Vivotab Note 8 - Charging and USB OTG at the same time

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Waltibaba, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waltibaba

Waltibaba Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I've read most of it and I see the fix they used. I mentioned it in my post, their fix is based on a non-reference implementation of USB by Dell - not Intel - that doesn't conform to any standards. Would have been too easy if that had worked :/

At this point it seems we need a software fix, basically a cut-down USB driver (the AVN8 uses an Intel USB controller), that doesn't tell charging (ACPI) to stop when data is connected.

Oooh I didn't know that... I'll have to read up on the Miix 2's hardware (specifically USB controller), if it's the same one as ours we might be able to straight up install it's driver on our AVN8, and have the exact same USB + power feature!

I'll be back with more info after some testing.

2. mitchellmcd

mitchellmcd Pen Pal - Newbie

Excited to see what you can discover!

3. reg21

reg21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Then we cant solve our problem like the Dell venue 8 users did, just using a hub mod?? Sry if you answer the question but in your first post i understand close to nothing xD

Thanks for all!!

4. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

While I still have the Miix let me know if I can check anything for you.

(outside of soldering any resistors or checking any sine waves of course!)

:)

5. Waltibaba

Waltibaba Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, had no success with their methods, sorry.
    I've tried all their fixes, including copying the experimenting they did in their thread here.

Yeah I checked online for driver dumps, dxdiags or other stuff on the miix, but didn't find anything. I would be really grateful for a driver dump of the ACPI system/USB drivers, or possibly all drivers if that's not a big deal. Using Double Driver on the Asus, the uncompressed folder was about 1.7GB total, and took around 10-15 minutes to extract.
    You can download Double Driver here, it's a freeware tool that's simple and works well. I've found no viruses or malicious stuff in it, of course you're free to check again though. Thank you for your help!

Reading up some more on the Z3740, I was reminded that it's an SOC, so the USB controller is on-chip as well. So really, the only customization the hardware vendors (Dell, Lenovo, Asus) do, is in the ACPI system (charging, battery, power management, etc.). So it will most likely be different between the AVN8 and the Miix 2 8, again not helping us much. Our only real possibilities right now are:

1. Intercept and block messages between the ACPI and USB drivers (coding/hacking skill required: expert)
    2. (Kindly...) ask Asus to properly implement USB OTG Battery Charging 1.2 spec
    3. Run Linux and modify the linux drivers

On a side note: I did discover that our GPU is the same as some Ivy Server/NUC parts, and we can use their beta drivers (I'm running 3383 NUC driver atm, intel website)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

1.7GB is going to be a challenge for me to get to you via Dropbox (mine's full) maybe Google Drive?

I might just get the ACPI/USB drivers if that's ok?

I tried to find a way to PM you but couldn't on this forum. Do you know how to send a PM here? If not, do you have an account over on XDA Developers? My ID is the same as here: a042349. Ping me there and we can work out the drive dump.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. Any news on this? Thanks.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You need to have 5 posts I think before your account will permit PM. I think its a way to keep spam to a minimum.

9. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, figured as much. I got him all the driver dumps last week and haven't heard back from him. I'm betting it's a HW limitation but what do I know.

10. sszz

sszz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I built this cable and got the exact same results - only that the device does not seem to really charge after switching to OTG mode and connecting a pendrive. The icon remains "charging", but the animated battery stops moving. As soon as I click the batt icon or open a battery monitoring program, it goes back to "discharging" mode.

The problem is, that even though it looks like that, the device does not charge. As I cannot monitor with any battery monitor apps because of imminent disconnetion, I just leave it for some time and check the batt percentage after 20-30 minutes and I get the exact same values as before -> no charge.

Anyone has any thoughts / progress on this?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.