Asus Vivotab note 8 black screen

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DJPizzaboi, Apr 13, 2015.

1. DJPizzaboi

DJPizzaboi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone, I recently bought a vivotab note 8 and one day i turned it on and the white led came on along with the backlight but nothing else. I can see the orange led when it is plugged into a USB outlet and I can clearly see the backlight being on but no screen at all. Since the backlight is on i don't believe it's the battery, but if anyone has had this problem before, a little help with this would be super appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

2. justpick1

justpick1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was getting a similar black screen any time I interacted with the camera: the wake from sleep option to quickly access the camera (instead of logging on) by swiping down or using the default camera app. What would allow me to power off was either a long press of the power button or a similar long press of the power button and volume down at the same time, then pressing the power button to restart.

Somewhere online, I saw someone was having freezing issues with the camera until he updated SOC drivers from the Asus site (the ones of 2014/06/20): http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_VivoTab_Note_8_M80TA/HelpDesk_download/

I'm happy to report that I have had no issues since the update this past weekend.

Hope this works for you. Good luck!

3. DJPizzaboi

Thanks for the reply, I just tried holding the power button down for a long time and i can see the backlight go dim for a second then turn off. After hitting the power button again, it goes back to just showing backlight. Same with the power+volume down.

Thanks a lot for giving me something to try though.

4. justpick1

You're welcome - nothing more frustrating than a sick VTN8 :(

It didn't always work the first time, and you can also try the power/reset with the charger plugged in - if you haven't already. Give it a few minutes with the power connected; I think the issue is similar to a low battery state problem that some devices encounter.

The good news is this happened quite a few times with mine before the SOC update, and it always came back. I hope yours does too.

5. DJPizzaboi

Alright Thanks a lot. I'll keep resetting this bad boy with the charger plugged in.

6. DJPizzaboi

Interesting news, I held the windows button and power button (While the backlight was on) and the narrator was turned on and began speaking. As i swiped the touch screen I could hear him begin saying stuff like "Lock screen" "Focus Password" and so on and so forth. My question is, is my screen dead? I assume there are 2 parts, the backlight, and the actual LCD but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone has any light on this situation please feel free to let me know.

Thanks as always.

7. DJPizzaboi

So long story short, I can use the tablet, but the screen never shows. Touch screen works, and I can log into windows (I can hear it) but it seems the LCD has quit. Does anyone know where to buy LCD screens for this?

Thanks.

8. DJPizzaboi

Good news everyone! I let the tablet die over the weekend and i plugged in the charger today and attempted to turn it on. I was surprised to see a full lit up screen with time and everything!

9. justpick1

Yay you! Score one for "the little tablet that could" :)

10. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie