Asus Vivotab Note 8 : bios downgrade from 209 to 207 impossible

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, May 27, 2014.

1. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

As I encountered really serious issues with wake-from-sleep with the new 209 bios, I'm trying to downgrade the bios to 207. The usual way to do this is to call winflash with the /nodate option (allowing it to downgrade) :
    the problem is that it reboots but doesn't launch the flash utility, there is just a black screen with the camera led on and that's all.
    usb-stick bios programming is a no-go because it requires a directly attached keyboard (usb hub doesn't work at boot) and we can't boot on usb and switch on the fly to keyboard)

Any hints ?

2. solitaire01

solitaire01 Pen Pal - Newbie

Were you able to recover from the blank screen? Happened to me flashing up, but this was the fifth flash in a week and seemed random. I couldn't do anything to fix it...back to Asus.

What's the WFS issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

I could force shutdown from the black screen without problem (just press the power button more than 10 seconds). After that it reboots with secure boot disabled so doesn't boot up to windows (bitlocker recovery). To sort this out, just reboot with an attached usb keyboard with the right otg cable, navigate to "ignore this drive" with tab and arrows keys, press enter choose repair/boot uefi and reactivate secure boot.

With 209, I am sometimes unable to properly wake the tablet up from sleep, never happened with 207. And when this happens, if I attach an usb power and hit power button, It shows the battery charging icon on screen, which is new and came with this bios revision, so it seems to be related (and the release note speaks about something like that).

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've encountered this problem, don't have a solution either. Yep, 209 is really bad on mine in waking up. I tried to downgrade to 207 the same way, and ended up with bitlocker recovery every time I reboot. Now I've decrypted my drive to do away with that but I can't find where to re-enable bitlocker encyption.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Weird, no problem waking the unit in 209.

6. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

I confirm that the 209 bios modifies the bootblock handling the flashing, thus making it impossible to flash anything but himself with the usual path (winflash /nodate and/or easy flash).

Ok, folks this how to take the bull by the horns and to effectively make the downgrade.

1. Download the ami aptio flash tools at http://ami.com/support/downloads/amiflash.zip
    2. Extract the zip at amiflash\AptioV\afuwin\32 and extract it, too.
    3. Copy the M80TAAS.207 with dd, skipping the first 2048 bytes, its size should be exactly 5,242,880 octets in order to be usable by the ami tool (I don't what is exactly included in this two Ko preamble for ASUS)
    4. Launch the afuwingui.exe utility
    5. Save the current bios, just in case.
    6. Load the shrunk by dd image, in the options select only the bios image and the bootblock to flash.
      NVRAM MUST BE UNCHECKED, otherwise you'll get a nullified wifi nvram, and you basically lost your wifi forever. (unless you backuped the nvram before)
    7. Launch the flash, and be patient.
    8. Reboot to the UEFI micro program in the recovery option.
    9. Check everything is ok, and that the secure boot is enabled

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. thatdude90210

Interesting. Though I don't think I need the downgrade anymore. Since I decrypted the drive, I haven't seen the wake from sleep issue.

I wish there was a way to re-encrypt the device. After I decrypted it, Bitlocker is nowhere to be found, and the option to re-encrypt is not available. I even tried to completely restore the device, didn't work still not encrypted.

8. thatdude90210

Huh. I upgraded to bios 210 that was just released, and my drive C is encrypted again. I didn't do anything, just upgraded the bios, went to see if it would allow me to re-encrypt. And it indicated that encryption is already on. I checked file manager and my c drive has the lock thingy again. So everything is now back to normal for me, just hope bios 210 doesn't have the wake problem.

9. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried bios 210 too and I encountered the same Wake-From-Sleep problems than 209.
    Back to 207 again...

BTW, is there a special support service where we can report this type of problems? I don't want to go through the official "support" forms from ASUS, where you get only human robots with ready-made and stupid questions/answers procedures before you actually talk to a guy with any genuine technical background.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  10. thatdude90210

So far, I haven't had the wake from sleep issue with 210 bios that I had initially with 209. It's been about a day only though. Actually, I haven't seen the wake from sleep problem since I decrypted C drive from my 5/27 post. I wonder if the wake problem is related to bitlocker.