Asus Vivotab Note 8 and full wifi 802.11n 150Mbits/s bandwidth

Discussion in 'Asus' started by graki, Nov 20, 2015.

1. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

In order to get the real advertised 801.11n bandwidth (150Mbit/s) of our wifi radio we have to choose the 20/40Mhz bandwidth capability for all a/b/g norms in the device properties. By default it is on 11a:20/40; 11g:20Mhz which is ~72Mbit/s max bandwidth.
    In short, by default we have:
    Capture bandwidth capability 1.PNG
    And it should be for max 150Mbits/s :
    Capture bandwidth capability 2.PNG

And here is the bottom line : it doesn't work. More precisely, it works for a time and it will renders your wifi unusable until the next reboot, it could even crash/bluescreen your AVN8, and corrupt the filesystem. I've tried it on two different AVN8, windows 8.1 and 10, and different versions of the broadcom BCM4324 driver, same story.
    My interpretation is that the wifi chip is from factory NOT tailored for full 150Mbits/s 802.11n bandwidth because of voltage restriction (perhaps 40Mhz bandwidth is requiring more current) we can't overcome without comprimising the stability of the whole device.
    Or is there something I missed to make this work ?

Regards

2. messiah

messiah Scribbler - Standard Member

well i did get constant 150MBPs at campus without tweaking the options but i get less than that at home unless i am very close to the router . , my home router is Wifi AC capable and and i am on fibre plans
    well i guess it depends on the wifi router...

3. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was talking about 40Mhz option with a pure 2.4Ghz Wifi router, which is disabled by default for the AVN8. Of course with some router and 40Mhz bands on 5Ghz you may get 150Mbps. I'm just suprised that 40Mhz support on the 2.4Ghz is that instable on AVN8, perhaps the option should be disabled.