Asus VivoTab Node 8 Stylus inaccuracy issues

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BlueWRXPride, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this has been talked about in other threads, like the massive one, but I thought it might make sense to have one thread dedicated to the issue of inaccuracy with the stylus.

I just received my Note 8, and I have found an issue with the top and left side of the screen when holding it with the Asus logo at the bottom. I was doing much of my testing in OneNote. If I draw a line across horizontally, to the left it goes straight to the edge, but as I draw to the right, the line gets thinner and thinner, and then stops about a half inch from the edge of the screen. If I put one note in full screen, I have issues tapping the three dots at the very top of the screen to bring the menu into view. I can tap it with my finger, but rarely can get it to register with the stylus. Has anyone else had this issue, and has it been resolved? Is there anything I can do or do I need to get it replaced?

ineffableMF likes this.
  2. ineffableMF

ineffableMF Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I posted a comment on this in the "Review" thread. My and others experiences are identical sounding to yours. Here are straightly drawn lines with (fairly) even pressure on mine:

[​IMG]

I emailed Asus technical support about it and encourage others who have this issue to do the same. I am fairly certain it can be fixed with firmware if enough people report it. Thanks for starting a new thread.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. BlueWRXPride

Mine seems to be much worse than yours, unfortunately for me. What program did you use to get a completely full screen to draw on? Even when I go full screen in OneNote, I still have the spot at the top for the menu activation so i can't draw on that part. I want to get a picture like you did so I can get a clear illustration of my problem.

I've also found that at the edges of the screen, the hover accuracy is poor. If I'm at the middle, and I start the bring the stylus down, the hover point stays in the same place until contact. But if I'm at the edge, as the stylus gets closer to the device, the hover point moves closer to the edge. Lift it up and it moves back away from the edge. This obviously makes it hard to hit menu items at the top of the screen. What I really want to know is if I have a faulty device that is worth replacing, or if I'm just hitting some limitations of a low-end walcom device.

4. ineffableMF

ineffableMF Pen Pal - Newbie

I used the "Fresh Paint" program that is in the metro side of things. You can move the bottom toolbar around so you can draw there.

That does sound worse than mine. Did you calibrate? I ask because my pen accuracy was actually worse after I did, so I undid the changes.

5. replax

replax Pen Pal - Newbie

My digitizer is also of worse quality. It has hover accuracy issues, too! I am actually fairly certain that it cannot be fixed in software, since other Wacom tablets extent the digitizer over the screen area, to fix that issue!

Another issue I have: I have to press the stylus significantly harder at the edges of the screen to register a click... Is that the same for you?

my image drawn with a ruler: Screenshot.jpg

6. bigr3dd0g

bigr3dd0g Pen Pal - Newbie

The difficulty registering clicks on the edge is what bothers me. When I write something too close to the edge sometimes i'll be missing the first letter. Or trying to click menu buttons on OneNote / change my pen color will take several clicks to register sometimes. Much worse than the edge inaccuracy on my Thinkpad x201t

7. fachiri1808

fachiri1808 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I find myself having the same problems. I wish it wasn't so, because other than stylus being rather badly implemented, the tablet is actually very nice.

The problem is that the stylus is the only reason I bought this product anyways, so I might actually return it.

8. erephus

erephus Pen Pal - Newbie

Code:
    tabcal devicekind=pen lincal novalidate YGridPts=2,25,50,75,100,208,316,424,532,640,748,856,964,1072,1180,1205,1230,1255,1278 XGridPts=2,25,50,75,100,200,300,400,500,600,700,725,750,775,798
    I ran the above code in at command line, administrator rights (do not know of that matters) the tablet was locked in landscape view with the Asus logo at the bottom. I calibrated with the Asus stick pen as close as 90dgr to the pad as I could get it.

I had similar results as you have earlier in this thread and similar as what is shown in the review thread. But I have a more consistent straight line now after than before, it overcompensate at the camera side but perhaps that can be made better with more calibration points, a narrower grid. I tested both times with the pen close to 90dgr to the that pad. The sensitivity have not changed anything though.

To reset find this key in the register, LinearityData.
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\HID\?????\Device Parameters]
    For more information, [HOW TO] PROPERLY calibrate your PEN and fix those stupid corners (273 test points) - xda-developers

And it is from xda that I have based my post upon, I changed the calibration grid to fit the resolution. And it is possible to exchange X and Y coordinates as fit.

9. erephus

erephus Pen Pal - Newbie

I forgot some information on how to reset but use my tabcal code and also read the xda post and I hope that it will be more clear what is needed to be done when resetting.

I also have to add that when writing and using the pen more tilted towards the pad the pen will be more inaccurate.

10. BlueWRXPride

I have a new one being sent to me by Microsoft, it'll be here tomorrow so I sure hope there's an improvement. Much like someone above, I really bought this because of the stylus, so if that isn't any good, I probably won't be keeping it.

Has anyone been happy with the stylus? I don't know if this is a case of the squeaky wheel or what, but I'm just curious if there are cases where the digitizer works fine.