Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Nope, didn't work for some reason.

BTW, what does it say in Device Manager under version? Mine is 3.1.0.5

2. Kumabjorn

This time around I installed the latest driver. That will run the pen for some five minutes but sooner or later there is a "short" for lack of a better description. You can see the hover cursor flick like it got an electrical shock. You can either wait for something like ten minutes and it will come on again, or you can close it down and turn it on again, but the second time around you only get something like 30 seconds. If I knew where the conflict was I'd gladly turn off the offending driver if practically feasible.

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

And we're positive the problem isn't the fault of the cables?
    I have an old 32 gb with a dead usb charger and an old 64gb with a cracked screen. I'm thinking about making it my project over winter break to Frankenstein the two together and see if I can get a working AVTN8 again.
    I'll be curious to know how yours works out, Kumabjorn. Besides the pen, how is the performance? I've found old Atom devices to be unbearably slow on current Windows 10. But, before my last AVTN8 died, it was the snappiest of the bunch (surprising considering it has the weakest processor compare to the other two I had at the time).

4. Kumabjorn

As reasonably sure I can be without opening the damn thing. When I bought it I had the cable problem, sent it into Asus Japan’s repair center. They called me back and wondered how attached I was to the camera. Told them I had no plans of using it. They claimed they had a surefire way of fixing the cable problem, but it required the to unhook the camera. Told them to go ahead. Since then it worked flawless. Until all this Win10 upgrade crap started. Wish I had locked it in Win8, but hey, hindsight has 20/20 vision, right?

It actually worked just fine for two days. To the point where I was getting giddy to work on it. I use it for one, and one thing only right now. Annotating documents inside OneNote. It has the perfect form factor and when the pen works it is a joy to work on it. Ohh, ok, two things, I also use a Japanese dictionary app to look up etymologies. And then add some of those findings in my annotations. All that works just fine. No hangups, no lag, no waiting. I also have Word installed on it, but haven’t really touched it. My main concern is the limited storage. Not for the documents, they are all in the cloud, but all the TMP files and all the other garbage that Windows creates.

I remember there is something you can do to make the microSD card (64 BG) actualy work as a hard drive, that would enable me to off load things like Restore point. I feel I should do something like that once I have it up and running the way it should again. Guess I have some googling in front of me.

5. HJK

Sounds like you might want to try cracking it open and resetting the cables. The replacement cables are cheap from digikey.
    (Whatever happened to Mesosphere, anyway?).

6. HJK

Re: storage space, I have a HP Envy Note 8 2gb/32gb that is absolutely worthless because there is absolutely no free space on it. I walked past a 32gb device on Windows 10 at Walmart today, and noticed a notification on the screen saying "warning: your device is almost out of storage space." If the display model in the store doesn't even have any free storage left, why the *&@$ are they even selling the thing? What is anyone going to do with it?

7. Kumabjorn

4/32 devices is something that should never have seen the day of light. Unless they came with Pen Windows.

8. Kumabjorn

On the ongoing saga to get my Asus MT80-A up and running again with functioning pen capability.

Decided to reinstall Windows 10 from a USB stick. Everything goes smoothly until it has "updating apps" then it turns black (backlighting is still on). I hold down the Power button for ten seconds until it goes completely dark, wait another ten seconds an push the Power button again. I t churns and churns but essentially nothing happens. So I even tried with another USB stick containing Windows 10 setup, but I got the same result.

My final approach was then to turn it on without any USB stick attached. Still get the Blue "Please wait" churning circle. Checked out Asus site for the manual to figure out how I boot into BIOS but found nothing. Anyone remember how that is done?

9. Kumabjorn

This is a continuation of postings on the thread on "How far back can I go on a Galaxy Note 8" where some of us got sidetracked on this device.

So the following has happened.

Installations stop in the middle of installation. Even when I left it over night. It hung around the 74 % mark of "Getting files ready for installation" (which I interpret as some sort of unzipping). I had to got out to the DOS prompt (called Command prompt these days I believe) and run setup from a brand new installation I created by downloading from Microsoft. This is the one that hung a few times.

Next step, earlier today was to reformat the C: drive from inside the installation program. That way the C: drive would be completely clean.

This time the installation program did not hang at the 74 % mark. It went through the whole way. But when it rebooted it wanted to run the installation again. Seems weird, but whom am I to question the brains of Redmond. Well, guess what? It just ran the whole installation again a second time and when that was finished it wanted to run it again. I think it is time to go back into UEFI and reset everything to shipping conditions.

10. Kumabjorn

So, finally I have installed Windows 10,through a powered USB hub with keyboard, mouse and two USB sticks connected. Once I had Windows up and running I had no touch. Sort of like a regular computer rather than a tablet. I did not connect WiFi because I don't want to start updating just quite yet. First I wan't to get Wacom pen working. But if I want access to my OneNote files one OneDrive I have no choice, but what can I do to stop Update from messing with the device? It feels like you have to stay out of that conundrum as much as possible. I'm not too concerned about virus attacks since there is nothing of consequence on it.

Those of you who have a working device I'd really appreciate any and all advice you have so I can keep this as my primary annotation device.