Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

I had my cables replaced and didn't have any issues with disconnecting, but I haven't tried drawing extensively. Primarily use mine as a mouse and for signatures.

I'll give it a try.

Driver is just the standard HID one, whichever Windows Update pushed to me.

2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Well there isn't a comparable tablet especially in size. The

I wonder how the rumoured Surface Go will fare in that, the 10-in screen is 3:2 so maybe it'll just be a bit wider.

3. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Heya,

how good is the standby performance in Windows 10? In Windows 8 it supported 'connected standby'.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Soo, after some headache I have my trusted old Asus Vivo Tab Note 8 up and running again. Actually, I am creating this post using the device with a little Bluetooth keyboard and portable mouse. But there is stil one old and one new problem.

New problem
    It looks like the screen has adaptable brightness. In daylight it is on a very low setting. I think this is because the front camera is disabled (I do not care) so it thinks it is night. The night light option is available. Where do I find the setting to turn off adaptable lighting?

Old problem
    Wacom pen driver 7.3.34 is installed but 0,3 seconds after the tip makes contact with the screen it blows out. Just hover and it stays on, only contact makes it go haywire. And no, it is not the old cable problem since it did not recognize even the hover cursor.

Addendum
    This is weirder than I thought. Using a different Wacom EMR pen (in this case a Bamboo) worked fine. It is when using the ASUS stick pen that crashes the pen driver. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  5. Kumabjorn

The Final Solution

And no, I'm not going all Nazi on you here, but I came across, by happenstance, what was missing in order to make the Vivo Tab Note 8 run completely smooth again. The brightness problem wasn't related to power savings, as this ignoramus thought. No it is found under Display Settings (and why not) so once that was fixed I was able to see the screen in daylight again.

And now, all pen works, including the Asus little stick (you know the one in the silo @dstrauss ) and what I had done wrong was not activate a mouse first (which seems odd on a small tablet like that). Every time I rebooted the first thing I did was test if the pen worked, and as soon as it got in contact with the digitizer it just went poof then I tried a run with connecting Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. After the mouse was active I discovered that the Bamboo pen would keep the mouse icon for a short while (hand, moving things on the screen) before changing over to the little hover wheel. After that I have tested it with several EMR pens and all have worked fine (with varying degrees of parallax) so it is possible to get the device back even after it has been completely bricked.

Yeah to me, but mostly yeah to anyone else who finds themselves in this predicament.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

WOW - what perseverance (gotta love those silos). From the start I have believed 8" devices were the best solution for reading and note taking - virtual moleskin - but apparently the OEM's and their customers seem to disagree with me. An iPad Pro Mini with smaller pencil would be a great addition to the lineup.

spinedoc77 and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Well, turns out the problems are back after the latest "Cumulative upgrade". In Device Manager the Wacom driver reports that it can't start IHD descriptor, error 10.
    Is my only alternative to reset the service and turn off upgrades?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

8. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got the same error with the ihd touch driver, I'm not sure it is after the cumulative update. Applied some magic massage on the touch ribbon inside and it works again.

I must say, the timing is weird.

9. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Try Wacom driver 7209. Works for Fujitsu Lifebook stylus in 1803.

10. Kumabjorn

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.