Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Did you try to reboot with the keyboard and the mouse already attached?

2. Zhivko

Zhivko Pen Pal - Newbie

I did, yes and it did not help.
    I took it apart and turns out the port is busted. So now I am looking for a replacement m80ta_IO_BD that does not cost 50 Euro, because it is just not worth it imo.

3. vince.chee

vince.chee Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm thinking of upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1, do you guys recommend it? I am a comic artist mainly use AVTN8 for comic production.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Windows 8.1 is better for a pure tablet like the Vivo Tab. Storage is the tightest bottle neck on that device, so getting rid of anything that isn't essential will increase its value and pleasure for you.

5. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm still running 8.1 on mine, and haven't had any of the problems associated with the 'upgrade'. Do you really want forced updates and the constant threat of them borking your system?

6. joytest

joytest Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm late to the party, managed to get a used 64gb one for approx $90 yesterday.
    Was using a Dell V8P for a few months and didn't like the need to keep replacing the battery for the pen.
    Upgraded to W10 using the Update Assistant, then used a W10 Pro key to change version. So far so good, Win 10 Creator's Update installed everything nicely the first time, even sound, camera, Wacom etc. Only experienced the failed rotation today and rolled back the Invensense driver.
    Using a spare Lenovo X61 pen and works well with calibration.

HJK likes this.
  7. CmplxAdSys

CmplxAdSys Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been having touch screen issues ever since I installed Windows 10 - I've in fact spent more time maintaining the device than using it! The touch screen function crashes randomly although pen still works. It used to be fixable by either using Windows' Hardware & Devices troubleshooting function or by reinstalling driver. However, in the past few days, even this hasn't worked.

I've tried reinstalling both SOC 10E and Wacom 7209 and using the troubleshooting function. No dice on reinstall and reboot, and the troubleshooting function recognizes an I2C error, reinstalls the driver, but now says it can't fix the problem.

Here's what properties of the device currently says under the Device Manager under Device Status:

The device cannot start (Code 10)
    A request for the HID descriptor failed
    And under the events tab under the last "Device not started" event:
    Problem: 0xA
    Problem status: 0xC000009E
    Any clue how to get the touch screen to work and keep it working under Windows 10 would be greatly appreciated.

8. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Two thoughts. First of all, have you tried to do something with the digitizer cables? You may need to reseat them or replace them. There is a thread on the topic with a tutorial video by Mesosphere and links to where you can buy cheap good replacements, if you haven't found it yet. Your problem may not be Windows 10.
    2. Having said that, I was having tremendous problems with the touch digitizer on my AVTN8 on WIN 10. A bit over a month ago I tried reseating the cables and it didn’t help at all. The touch was dead as a doornail. So I tried to reset it to factory settings. The reset didn’t take for some mysterious reason, but touch came back and has worked flawlessly since.

9. CmplxAdSys

CmplxAdSys Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't tried replacing the cables. It's something to keep in mind, though. Looks like a significant problem as a lot of people seem to have done this.

Keeping a reset in mind is also something to consider.

However, I tried the Hardware & Devices troubleshooting app again this morning after the device was shut down overnight and rebooted with an inactive touch screen, and strangely it worked! The app reported the problem was fixed, and the touchscreen now works.

This behavior makes me think this is a software issue, not a hardware one, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the reply!

10. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I you read the threads concerning this issue you will be convinced this is a ribbon issue (thank you Mesosphere)