Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

How has it been with this after a few weeks? Are inking, palm rejection and touch okay again? I am considering finally making the big move but I am suspicious by nature.

2. abeki

abeki Pen Pal - Newbie

This was due to the infamous faulty digitizer cable. No one else reported it so it was just my hardware. Its 100% stable now.

3. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I appreciate that.
    Glad you managed to resolve the problem.

4. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to ask this but I am on unfamiliar ground.
    Do you have to install the BIOS and SOC packages from USB?
    Also what about the Trusted Execution Engine Interface?

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just download the soc package on the Asus site and install it, even if it tells you that the one you have is up to date.

Bronsky likes this.
  6. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    It worked.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

An Asus M80TA is selling on EBay for as little as $66 used. http://www.ebay.com/itm/152115541595?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT You can update to W10, change the digitizer cable for under $10 and have an incredibly functional 8" windows tablet with Wacom EMR digitizer held in a proper silo. If I was in the market for an 8" companion tablet, I would have to be looking at one of these (I loved my old M80TA). Only if used HP Envy Note 8's come down in price about $100 are they going to be competition for this small wonder. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. Gray2Hairs

Gray2Hairs Pen Pal - Newbie

Upgraded my M80TA to Win10. Clean install, reinstalled the SOC. Only issue is the cameras not working. I have read most of this thread and it seems the SOC reinstall is the answer. Removed and reinstalled again with the cameras not being recognized. Any additional steps? What is the process to change the digitizer cable and what might that solve? I did not follow the specific reason for the replacement.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The digitizer cable corrects digitizer problems like the one that was being sold on EBay had. The problem is very common in M80TAs.

10. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like that someone try my fix: only change connectors heads from motherboard to touchboard.

On the original cable, there is a line that goes to the top of the cable like an half-shielding, meaby a common/ground line avoiding resistance. This line is not properly aligned where it goes to the top at the conector's head. With naked eyes you can see that it goes dangerously close to the line nearby there and, at the connector, it is just where lines arent' protected (of course it's a connector). Furthermore the top line is inside the bend at the motherboard connector on manufactured M80TA. Compression can only bring closer the line nearby, pure logic.

I can't confirm this with 100% (I broke my ZIF clamp for the touchboard) but I tested the original cable with no loss, no mess! Then I visually checked the original cable, recheck picture on this forum to see how it was connected first. I found out that inverting connectors heads reverse the bending at the motherboard connectors. It should prove my point without reassembling the back cover (even with the backcover there is less room for bending this line on compression at the touchboard, it should be also ok).

That's my guess, it's free and not worst than a new cable without a line spreading at the top anyway (so no difference to exchange this line with the opposite).

Of course gently lift the ZIF clamp (need to unscrew the board for the mother board connectors). Not lifting clamps are also fine like 1° made at http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...8-pen-touch-failure.63696/page-62#post-475295

Me I lift the ZIF clamp with no caution, I even lift the connectors itself and connectors line became mess. Soldering with flux pen is my only hope cause a touch-board cost 50€ (if you can find it, ID stickers is not recognise) + (screen have to be remove from the case to replace it).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016