Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. HdNote8

HdNote8 creative technical writing

i use my note8/w10 all day every day, sometimes more ... im freelance so my livelihood rests on it ... not had a crash since the first week of november, dont use any other technology but my windows phone (waiting for windows 10 for that too) ... this device + this OS = huge productivity increase for me, love it

dellaster likes this.
  2. tr0910

tr0910 Pen Pal - Newbie

What is your business, and how do you use the vivotab on a day to day basis? Do you have a laptop too?

3. HdNote8

technical writer, documentation manager ... during the day mostly meeting-based / note-based work, switch over to writing (word/visio/framemaker) in the evenings ... was always a staunch advocate of the thinkpad brand until a company x240 put an end to that, retired it late last year after acquiring my note8/64/w10 ... dont have any other technology, at the moment dont need any but am quietly looking for a NOS second note8 unit as a fallback ... paired with a quality keyboard/mouse for hardcore writing, this is the perfect device for me.

4. tr0910

tr0910 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is still running W8. Surprised you are so happy with W10 on it if it is your only device. My laptop's are all W10, but I won't let the vivotab upgrade. Glad you are happy. Definitely grab a second one. EBay refurbs are only $100.

5. HdNote8

not in the uk, really hard to find !

6. SH_P

SH_P Pen Pal - Newbie

Upgraded my AVTN8 to Windows 10 using the media creation tool (with keeping the apps option on.) and here is my take so far:

1. It has been stable for the past 3-4 days and I haven't seen any crash or BSD yet.

2. Driver issue after upgrade: camera stopped working -> solution: installed Win 8 SOC driver from Asus website -> Doing that, broke the rotation sensor (it stopped working randomly) ->Solution: uninstalled rotation sensor (G-sensor) driver and installed the one downloaded from Asus website (for Win 8) : Seems like it is fixed. I Will report if not. (I had the same issue in Win 8 too)

3. Windows apps (such as Mail, Calendar) are much better than their Win 8 counterparts and they are being supported and updated frequently.

4. OneNote on Win 10 has some new useful features which were not available for Win 8, such as: selecting and moving the strokes. Auto shape recognition, better interface overall. Pen functionality (tracking, palm rejection, ...) seems to be on par with Win 8.

5. in the default mode, when you are in OneNote, task bar is not hidden and accidentally touching it can be annoying when writing. But you can go into the full-screen mode and the problem will be solved.

6. Battery life seems to be a little bit better than Win 8, probably because I enabled the option to turn the WiFi off while it is sleeping.

7. Edge has its own good features, like note taking, but I feel that it is not as reliable as IE in loading pages with different standards and the current lack of extension support means no ad-blocking which sucks! :(

8. I like windows 10 interface and in my opinion it is well suited for 8 inch device. It is more consistent compared to Win 8 and I don't understand why people still prefer Win 8 interface.

Overall, I am happy with the upgrade and I will stick to it, if it continues to behave reliably.

thierryb and Marty like this.
  7. Akif Kücet

Akif Kücet Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there everyone,
    I used to have Wacom Wintab driver installed in Win8.1, after I upgraded to 10, I got no palm rejection in apps like Sketchbook Pro. So I thought uninstalling it and installing new Wintab Driver for 10 may work but it did not. I uninstalled it too, now it has palm rejection. In Photoshop CC though I need Wacom driver to get pressure sensitivity. Anybody has any idea how can I solve this, or maybe back to 8.1 is solution?

8. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

So I did a clean install this weekend via USB OTG. Had a random BSOD during sleep I couldn't get rid of. Happy to report that ALL drivers are now available via Windows Update, with the exception of the audio driver, which the Windows Update version doesn't work and I had to manually copy the Audio folder from the SOC package only. One other problem is that the camera LED no longer works (camera itself works fine though).

Tablet also runs faster now.

9. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for that. Looks like the media creation tool method might be the solution. To complete the picture, could you let us know which
    Bios and
    Pen driver
    version numbers you are on?

10. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

On Win 10 for about two months now. Have two issues that have cropped up:

1) Sometimes windows fails to acknowledge that the power is plugged in (icon doesn't show charging signal) even though the small red light is glowing on the power button. Reboot fixes this.

2) my sound has completely stopped working. the sound icon will no longer mute or unmute, and trying to play a test sound gives me a "Failed to play test tone" error. Tried messing around with drivers, services restart, etc to no avail so far. Going to try reinstalling SOC drivers