Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

upload_2015-12-25_1-6-21.png

2. iad-artwork

iad-artwork Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello people, I'm still confused about Win 10 and AVTN 8, I use my device for sketching most of time, so is that BSOD problem occurs while using the Pen?
    Thank you very much.

3. thierryb

No more BS0D

iad-artwork likes this.
  4. iad-artwork

iad-artwork Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, and that's with updating normally through Windows integrated app in Windows 8.1?

5. thierryb

Yes

iad-artwork likes this.
  6. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. This is the particular driver that seem to be causing the BSODs on mine. I upgraded to the Windows Update one and it seem to cure it, but it doesn't list my BlackBerry's hotspot in the GUI.

7. minigendo

minigendo Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wanted to share my experience with installing Windows 10 on the Asus VivoTab Note 8 this evening. Running the upgrade via the get 10 notification was relatively easy, although lengthy. Once installed, things seemed to work fine. I soon discovered, however, that I no longer had a camera. As far as Windows was concerned it did not exist.

Reading other threads on this board, I installed the latest SOC (available on the windows 8 drivers page of the ASUS site). I now have a camera again. However, it had an oddity. If I took a picture with the rear facing camera, and then viewed the last image taken, the image was distorted horizontally. However if I then tapped the image, it would resolve. This went away without warning as I was typing this message.

Other than that things appear to work.

8. minigendo

One day in, and screen rotation has stopped working.

It was working fine last night after the SOC install, but stopped working sometime today. I installed the wacom feel driver, which necessitated a restart. My guess is that it went away at that time, though the issue is probably unrelated. Uninstalling the feel driver did not resolve the issue.

At first the device did not believe it could rotate at all. All options relating to auto rotation were gone. I removed the ATK install and the rotation options returned. The Device will now sense rotation, but only once, during startup. If I hold the device in the orientation I'd like to use it in as the machine restarts, it will flip to that orientation. It would ignore any other rotations.

I reinstalled the ATK, and restarted again. This did not seem to immediately resolve my problem. However, when I went to the control panel to investigate further, the device behaved peculiarly. The all settings panel was reluctant to come up. This continued for several minutes, until the problem resolved. After this, screen rotation appeared to return as well.

I'm beginning to suspect that Windows 10 is not stable, at least not on the ASUS VivoTab Note 8.

9. minigendo

My final report for the moment re: Windows 10. I continued to encounter seemingly random behavior from Windows 10. Rotation would stop working without warning, Wifi would occasionally do the same. The control panel continued to lock up for 5 - 7 minutes after each restart (except on the rare occasions when it didn't (which was usually when something else decided to stop working, like the Wifi)).

I probably could have dealt with that. I don't really use rotation that much; and being able to use the maps app offline with the inbuilt GPS is pretty cool. Then I ran into a number of bluetooth issues and decided I'd had enough.

During the restore procedure, Microsoft suggested that before I uninstall, I call support. I didn't have much confidence in this, but I figured what the heck. The tech I spoke to said that there was nothing they could do. The problems I was experiencing were entirely the fault of ASUS drivers, and I should revert back to 8.1.

I would hardly take this as an official statement from MS, but it does not make me hopeful that these issues will be resolved in the future. My suggestion to others on the fence about the upgrade would to wait until the final month of the free upgrade program, give it a shot at that point, and see if things had improved any.

10. story

story Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been putting my Note 8 away ever since I use Macbook OSX.
    Today, I picked it up, install all updates, did some settings in display (themes, colors etc) and now I can't get into System - Display. It just hangs there. I only have the option of closing Settings. This is all on TH2.

How much time can you spend to fix a Windows problem?? Or I will use the time, make more money and get a Macbook Air 11".
    Windows is such a disappointment. Apple will win BIG if they decide to release a full OS tablet.