Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

First point: no issues with win 10 on avn8
    Second point: the tip (tablet input panel) has changed a lot. what you write is immediately pushed to where you want to write. That is interesting. But it miss few important features : ability to correct a word before it is send, you will have to correct later; ability to make a word will be learned ; ability to write character by character.
    Third point: you can now have many metro apps runing at the same time, and adjust the size of their window. that's really great.
    Fourth point: the major issue that can be a reason for a no go, we have lost ghost files with onedrive. You have to sync, or not to sync all the files of directory and not have only metadata of files. That could be an issue if you more space used in onedrive than the size of the disk of your avn8 .

Then many other things have changed, but it is not easy to say it is better or worse.

I have 2 avn8. One is on win 8.1 and the second on win 10. Since Microsoft has solved crashs, I have used only the win 10 one. I really love the third point, and try to adapt myself to the second point and the fourth.

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You can save your OneDrive space by mapping OneDrive as a networked drive, everything stays in the cloud that way, but access to files are slower and if you need them off line it is not a solution, but they have changed the requirements so that you can now save your stuff to the D: drive if you have a mSD card.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried to install Win 10 and the process failed. I think I will hold off a bit longer. I like 8.1 well enough. I just am going to have to solve my stupid unnecessary recovery partition problem, 8.1, unlike 10, does not allow you to install apps from the store on your SD card, and I have absolutely no room to maneuver on my 32gb model.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  4. HJK

After yet another fubared ill advised attempt to remove the partition with minitool (do not try, if you ask me), I had to restore to factory settings. When given the option to "upgrade to Windows 10 now," I decided I might as well give it one more whirl. Downloading Win 10 now (perhaps again against my better judgment). We'll see if it takes this time.

5. HJK

Once (if) I get Win 10 going, this is the first thing I will want to do. If you can point me to some instructions, that would be awesome. I'm also hoping I can move it straight to the already created OneDrive file on my MicroSD card, so that I already have all of the files there. I know how to do all of this on Win 8.1; it's a snap. But Win 10 looks to be much trickier.

6. HJK

Oops!
    Two questions I should have looked into before starting the download:
    1) (make or break) you can set your photos to automatically store on your SD card in Windows 10, right? I had taken this for granted, so I didn't look into it. This is a must. If not, I'm aborting the install or going back to Win 8.1.
    2) (good to know) can you still install store apps on your micro sd card in Win 10? I read that that option was up, and then down. Since I can't do this on Win 8.1 either, that's not a deal breaker. But it would be a nice plus.
    Sorry to hijack this thread. I'll lay low soon, I promise

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

On YouTube search; Sean Ong, map OneDrive

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I definitely prefer win 8.1, but I hate being stuck in the past and just forced myself to stay with win 10. With touch gesture studio and Adguard it's not that bad. It's a shame Microsoft wants to lose customers, because most people forced to use win 10 on a 8" tablet are going to hate it, versus win 8.1 was the perfect OS for it. But win 10 is workable, and even very nice in some aspects.

9. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

I own a Win 10 version for about 10 days now, there's definitely a problem with palm rejection. But moving the Taskbar to the top helps already quite a bit. . . although i'm not shure if it's a pen issue as to don't use the original pen. and it also seems different from one app to the other.
    I like very much that the new TIP seems to store the position relative to the cursor and isn't stuck to the bottom of the screen.

10. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Can anyone please check which version of the Wi-Fi drivers are they using, as well as the hidden bcmfn2 device under System Devices?