Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

It works without freezes and BSODs, but the rejection could use some fine tuning. I see some accidental palm triggers when I lift the pen.

Bedy likes this.
  2. ToniCipriani

The Windows 10 Feel driver works fine on 10547, I'm using that. However one person reported on Microsoft Answers saying the pen is not detected in that driver, but I think it's a separate issue.

Pressure detection seems to work in Fresh Paint.

3. Bedy

Bedy Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad to hear that. Seems like someone at MS is aware of the issue and is on their way to sort it out. Ps. did you have a chance to testdrive it with Onenote 2013 (desktop)?

4. ToniCipriani

Just installed it, ran out of disk space due to Insider build and upgrade files so I couldn't earlier. Seems fine. Created a few pages with my palm on it. Interestingly the rejection is much better than in Fresh Paint and OneNote Mobile.

However I still maintain, I do not recommend average users to install 10547 at this point. There are other issues (e.g. screen going blank in tablet mode, notifications not opening) with the build at the moment which may affect daily use. Maybe, just maybe, the next build that hits the Slow ring. This is a Fast ring build after all.

iad-artwork likes this.
  5. Bedy

Bedy Pen Pal - Newbie

True. I, for one, need VTN8 to be fit and reliable for some heavy note taking at university, and at the moment it's reliable on Win 8.1 Upd... I guess l'll have to pass on 10547 at least until the slow ring. Or let's hope MS could push the fix to the 10240 users through Windows Update channel, if it's feasible

6. germanib

germanib Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad to read about a solution!!!

7. germanib

germanib Pen Pal - Newbie

windows 8.1 pros:
    - Pen is working 100%, no wacom driver, gpu driver or anything else needed
    - Battery life is clearly better
    - Internet explorer with navigation swipe
    - Onedrive app
    - Virtual keyboard and pen input with two rows

What I miss from windows 10:
    - Always visible taskbar with the start button, keyboard button, volumen button and clock
    - Task view and Snap Assist
    - Notifications area

What I don´t miss from windows 10:
    - All the upgrade experience, too much tunning needed to get something working decently
    - Too many small bugs, screen flicking, apps closing, freezes, crashes, tiles not working, etc.

8. Bedy

Bedy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi
    Are you using Windows 10 build 10547? I guess some glitches and worse battery life is to be expected

9. Derson

Derson Pen Pal - Newbie

Almost 5 days with 10547 version and all good, taking notes with Onenote 2013 (desktop in my case) and others. The battery life is fine, like in Win 8.1. and don´t forget install ATKPackage ver 100039 from Asus drivers. No Wacom drivers at all.
    I have installed the last Onenote 2016 desktop in Surface Pro 3 (yes the SUN of Microsoft) and...surprise, the pen freeze randomly...
    Conclusion:
    Windows 10 1240 is a preliminary version and we must avoid if we have pc devices with stylus, that´s it. The last days of October we´ll have the good Win 10 version for us, like ever.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Bedy likes this.
  10. ToniCipriani

I didn't install the new ATK package and no mal-effects here. I did disable the stock AsTouchPatch thingy from 8.1 though.