Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

If I disable the touch driver in Device Manager. One Note does not crash. If not, it crashes regularly. I am testing with the One Note app in non tablet mode but I don't think that matters.

Terry

2. Bedy

Bedy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not into coding but at ths point it seems a relatively straightforward fix might be a script that, when it senses mouse hovering, disables the touchscreen, and viceversa

3. mr2ns

mr2ns Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone made a script which turns off touchscreen. I use that to avoid BSOD. But a code like that ^ is what we need in the interim

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm getting pretty bad standby run-time of Windows 10 (actually, I'm not sure it's even going into connected standby). As it is, I've found myself no longer using it all. Chargin it every night along with all my other stuff just isn't worth the effort.

Windows 10 also almost bricked it, and I no longer have an authentic copy of Windows, but that's the price you can pay for being a tester.

5. ciarlill

ciarlill Pen Pal - Newbie

For the record I did a clean install of Win 10 Home 32-bit from USB using an OTG cable. I installed *only* ASUS ATK Packge (ATKPackage_Win10_32_VER100039) and updated BIOS to 211. Went a few hours with no problems and thought I was in the clear... then just got a restart.

This eliminates some probable causes:

1) Conflict between OneNote 2013 and OneNote Metro
    2) Wacom driver
    3) Win 10 upgrade & leftover conflicting software

I had working palm rejection before installing the ATK package. I may try uninstall it and seeing if I still get crashes with just the default Win 10 drivers.

6. ciarlill

Removing the ATK Package brings back BSODS. ATK package seems to result in restarts. I am ready to throw this thing out the window.

7. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you can always go back to win 8.1

8. ciarlill

True... I just don't feel like I should have to. The more I read and research the more it is obvious there are serious palm rejection issues in Windows 10, not limited to this device. The problem is that all evidence is anecdotal and spread across a wide variety of forums and social media. Microsoft online-support is completely useless and there is no way to collate this feedback into something meaningful enough for them to address it. The whole situation is aggravating. I could understand switching back to 8.1 if I went out of my way to upgrade to Windows 10... but I did not. I clicked a button that Microsoft provided in order to upgrade. I should not have to lose productivity, time and money because I took a recommended upgrade path. I have already gone far and above the expectations of a consumer in examining memory dumps and trying various combinations of drivers and software. As someone who runs linux on all of my other devices (software developer), I am open to troubleshooting and dealing with software issues. But when I am a paying customer I expect my issues to be addressed and resolved. I get better support from open source projects with a single part time developer than from MS. The sad part is Android and Google's ecosystem is no better. I understand it is difficult to code for *and* support so many various devices, a problem Apple does not have... but at least acknowledge there is a problem, whether or not you can put forth the resources to fix it.

/rant

Tams and 2.0™ like this.
  9. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

@ciarlill I feel your pain, brother. I feel your pain. Indeed, you shouldn't have to go back to 8.1. But if going back means the difference between a working, mostly reliable unit versus a buggy, randomly unreliable unit, I guess we have to swallow the bitter pill Microsoft handed to us.

This Windows 10 "upgrade" is one of the most troublesome and disappointing OS upgrades I can recall during my X amount of years computing. I thought MSFT would have learned their lesson with Windows ME and Vista(driver issues).

In any event, it doesn't look like there is going to be a viable fix for this. Not from Microsoft, Asus, or third party devs. So I'm thinking about going to myDigitalLife forums and asking for help there. There are some brilliant folks over there who have help me solve some difficult issues in the past.

iad-artwork likes this.
  10. Bedy

Bedy Pen Pal - Newbie

Did someone try on VTN8 any of the most recent Windows 10 Insider Builds (532 or even 547)?