Asus VivoTab 8 and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by avi, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Zealot

Zealot Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately I haven't enough time for writing of this app now. I was going to learn API's for work with digitizer, which as far as i know there are in .net framework. And probably it wouldn't be a WinForms app, but something like windows service.

2. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

3. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't want to lose some of the more tablet-friendly orientation of 8.1, but I think the gains (getting the new Maps app; being able to treat desktop and modern apps alike; having access to newer apps in the Windows store; being able to install store apps on my SD card; etc.) may outweigh the losses (inferior swiping mechanism; smaller tiles and small buttons all over the place; notifications and taskbar not as touch-centric as charms bar; wasted space when in portrait mode; etc.). Cortana is a disappointment in its present state, but I think there is time for growth on that front. The biggest downside for Win 10 for me is the fact that OneDrive is now much less usable. But I can overlook that, and I hope it will be addressed within a year.

4. Canuck

Canuck Pen Pal - Newbie

Also had both reboots and BSOD when trying to write using OneNote following the upgrade to Windows 10. Rolled back to Windows 8.1 after a day since it wasn't usable and the whole point of my having the tablet is using OneNote for hand written notes. The rollback to 8.1 almost worked properly...

After going back to 8.1 there were about a half dozen Modern Apps that wouldn't start when clicked. In the Windows Store they showed up in the "Installed Apps" section as "Not Installed" (no confusion there!). Couldn't re-install them because Windows behaved like they already were installed. But couldn't uninstall them either because they were listed as "Not Installed".

Finally traced the problem to a mismatch between the folder the app was actually in versus where Windows 8.1 thought it was. Maybe those apps got updated to new versions in Windows 10 and the changed folder information didn't get passed back to 8.1 during the downgrade. The folder name always contained a higher version number than Windows 8.1 seemed to be expecting.

If anyone else has the problem, use Windows Powershell get-appxpackage to see the InstallLocation that is listed for the app, compare that with the folder name in Program Files\Windows Apps. If they don't match, manually rename the folder to match what is listed in InstallLocation. After doing that I could uninstall (via remove-appxpackage) / repair / reinstall those broken apps successfully.

I am sticking with Windows 8.1 until Microsoft / Wacom / Asus gets this issue sorted out.

thierryb likes this.
  5. Akif Kücet

Akif Kücet Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there everyone,
    I think the tablet mode of Win10 is nice as I saw from youtube videos, and wanna try it. I just hope that a fix will come to all problems as soon as possible, than I will give it a try. Will watch this topic, thank you.

6. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I revert back to win 8.1 after 3 reboots in 2 minutes, and I was not in Onenote!
    I gave 2 reasons to Microsoft: bad implementation of palm rejection, bad implementation of bluetooth com port.

Thanks Canuck to give us away to reinstall some metro app.

7. thierryb

Bad news. I can no more use the tabtip to write anything. My windows was in French, probably it is the reason. So do not revert if your primary language is not English. I have not already found a solution.

8. germanib

germanib Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all

I'm writing this with the stylus. Just before I had two crashes writing just the first sentence.
    The difference before then and now is the execution of the program "C:\ProgramData\AsTouchPanel\AsPatchTouchPanel.exe" (9. jan.13)
    This program is normally run by the task scheduler at the user logon.
    I disabled the task in the scheduler and now I'm running it manually after every wake up and killing it after a moment with the task manager (ASUS Patch for touch panel).
    This seems to fix the stylus problem for me.
    I believe that those who rolled back to windows 8.1 lost the patch or it isn't longer in the task scheduler.
    I haven't confirmed, but it seems the graphics driver must be updated for this to work as violetzie (this tread) and nate_mich (
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/cc9a3568-4cae-4773-a404-c47b070ae988?page=6) have reported the problem was fixed for them too.

I have the following drivers:
    Gpu: 10.18.10.4252 (distributed as 15.33.38.4252)
    Wacom: 3.0.1.1 (from Asus support page ISD_DualTouch_712-9)

Maybe some more tests with more drivers can be done but right now I want to play with my toy while it isn't crashing.

Good night!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  9. thierryb

I did not succeeded to solve my tabtip issue after rolling back to win 8.1.
    So I reinstalled Win10 using the Windows Update procedure.
    And no issue until now with palm rejection and pen, even in OneNote.
    I checked the Touch Panel patch, and it is running on my AVN8.
    So I do not understand.

In fact, before I decided to roll back to win 10, I installed the Wacom drivers.
    It could be the cause of the increase in frequency of bsod which forced me to rollback.

10. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

I had similar issues, my tablet was set to Traditional Chinese. In addition to the Apps not working, I could not type anything. All the input methods and keyboards said "available for Desktop only", including the built-in Windows ones.

I just went ahead and reset Windows 8.1. I was due for a cleanup anyways, had lots of issues with Wi-Fi.