Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxi

maxi Pen Pal - Newbie

Your are a Genius ! This really improved the behaviour of my Screen. I had to add some calibration lines/dots at the lower end of the Screen where I had the Maximum deviations. I adjusted your figures as follows:

tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=10,25,50,80,110,300,490,680,870,1060,1250,1300

,1315,1325,1356 YGridPts=10,20,50,60,90,120,295,470,645,680,690,700,710,720,730,740,758

Thank you so much !

P.S. I run "cmd.exe" in admin mode (don't no whether this is really required)

2. dan9

dan9 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same problem with the digitizer edges ("snake lines," as you call them). I've owned four previous tablets with Wacom digitizers, so I realize this is a limitation of the hardware, but my past tablets (all 4:3, 12.1" screens) have had this issue for about 0.5cm around the edges. The TF810c, on the other hand, has at least 2cm problem areas around the edges, and things are especially bad in portrait mode (since pen orientation matters)--it's practically unusable in portrait mode!

Anyway, I tried this calibration trick, but it didn't really improve edge tracking, and it created 10-pixel dead spaces around the left and top edges (in landscape)--the pen won't register at all in those regions (so it's impossible to hit min/max/close or, depending on orientation, you can't reveal the charms bar or whatever the bottom settings bar). I tried adding calibration points that go all the way to the edges of the screen (adding 0 and 1365 to the X grid points and 0 and 767 to the Y grid), but I still have the same problem.

I'm not optimistic that calibration or drivers can solve this. Between this and the awful wifi range (plus the wifi/bluetooth interference), Asus seems to have failed to properly shield all the components. (Or perhaps they did the best they could, but the thinness/weight constraints make it hard to do any better.) I'm still trying to decide whether I can live with all these problems or whether this is getting returned.

3. rokkerstu

rokkerstu Pen Pal - Newbie

Happy to see that worked!

This is for everyone who might read this: Keep in mind, if you make the grid denser, you must be much more careful when calibrating, smallest deviation gets worse. It gives my hand cramps just to do mine at 180 points.

Hmm... I don't know if getting it closer to the edges will work but try using your pen perpedicular to the tablet around the edges and/or increase the calibration distance from the edges to 15 or more, or even removing the first ones along the edges. I had some problems with the pen not registering along the edges and when you can't hit that point precisely the offset gets way off. So try increasing the distance from the edges and holding the pen perpendicular at those edge lines.

I was even thinking of removing the lines along the edges and middle, and just keep the ones around the really distorted zones, it might work even better.

4. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

5. kittysu

kittysu Pen Pal - Newbie

You would have thought that PC World might have contacted me since I have one on backorder. I phoned them, and they said I have one allocated and they will push the order through. Monday perhaps? I kinda felt they were doing it because I called, not because my order is outstanding. >sigh< But the alternatives I have seen are hugely expensive or Asian imports. And the reviews of the importers are generally fine - as long as nothing goes wrong when everything seems to fall apart.

Anyone looked at the PC World description - 6hrs battery life, Kensington security lock and size 380x254.5x254.5 (open). And probably more I haven't spotted.

6. twism8282

twism8282 Pen Pal - Newbie

MicroSD causing blue screen crash when waking up from sleep

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I wanted to pass it along to save others the trouble if possible. I discovered last week that my MicroSD card was causing a crash on the TF810 when coming out of sleep. It's a 64GB Sandisk card that I've had plugged into the TF810 since day one. I had it set to Auto Mount as C:\MicroSD. (this is the only way most metro apps can access external storage.)

In the last month or so, I started experiencing AT LEAST one crash a day if not more which was way more than usual.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5B9DF04A0D3F2062!11322&authkey=!ANi99PooiBaRTeM

I ran across this thread (What does this error mean in Windows 8?), so I decided to just unplug the microSD card. I haven't had a crash since. I don't have any other microSD cards to try so I'm not sure if it's model specific, or a general issue.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  7. orjan

orjan Pen Pal - Newbie

I have also had a microSD card in my TF810C since day one. I haven't experienced the DPC blue screen crash. First week I had a 32 GB Samsung Class 10 microSDHC card plugged in and the last two weeks I have had a 64 GB Samsung microSDXC card plugged in.

Some of SanDisk's 32GB and 64GB SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSD cards are malfunctioning because of manufacturing problems. Maybe your card is one of the bad ones? See SanDisk cops to malfunctioning Micro SDs in Galaxy S3s at The Register for more information.

8. twism8282

twism8282 Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to know! I'll try buying a smaller capacity from a different manufacturer and see if that works better

Thanks

9. kittysu

kittysu Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my TF810C for just over a week now, and although it's not perfect, I am mostly very happy with it.

I didn't do anything particularly special with updating, just tried running Windows update and Live update early on. I had a panic when after a reboot I had no WiFi driver, but another reboot continued Windows install/configuration, so I think it had downloaded everything but was unable to configure it all in one go. Sometimes it didn't seem to want to download updates, but looking at the task manager, usually the CPU and/or the disk were working bigtime. A couple of times it just took a bit of patience.

It feels kind of schizophrenic - it doesn't seem quite sure whether it is a tablet or a laptop at times. the "modern" apps really seem to need a touch screen and are horrible to use in laptop mode. I hate desktop apps in tablet mode (e.g. window resizing with the on screen keyboard). And it really needs to be able to put desktop icons back where they were after getting the screen keyboard out! I have sometimes had the on screen keyboard popping up when I don't want it and other times had to manually bring it up when I do - I suspect it depends what program I am using, but I haven't studied it.

I would like more control on how the trackpad is set up - my husband's laptop lets you scroll by wiping along the right edge of the trackpad, and I didn't expect to miss this. Right click can be annoying when you press in the area that makes the click noise, but no right click is triggered, but I am getting used to pressing nearer the edge and it probably won't be a problem in a couple of weeks.

Deviation of the wacom digitizer can be a problem when inking around the edges. I think that rather than setting more calibration points, I will just learn to leave wider margins if writing notes in portrait - my main use for this is notes during a meeting rather than notes around existing text, so not not a deal breaker.

I originally decided to get a VivoTab so that I could do some web and java development. It seems to be running EasyPHP and Eclipse fine, although I had some hiccups on the way with configuring everything the way I wanted. I have no plans to run graphics/CPU intensive games. I might try some photo/graphics manipulation sometime, but I don't do a lot of that.

Would I get one again? Yes. I like the flexibility of having a tablet available (videos at swimming gala - Yay!), I need Windows for the software I want (maybe a Linux tablet one day, but Android won't do it yet). A physical keyboard is a must as I don't want to lose screen real-estate to a keyboard (and I find onscreen much harder for accurate typing). The Wacom pen on the screen is just so neat. The battery life is fantastic. And it is so light and quiet compared to the laptops I am used to.

Was it worth the wait? I think so. I ordered it 5 weeks before I got it, I could have had a Samsung for the same price in the UK or an HP for £100 more. No pen on the HP at the moment (ever?), so why pay £100 more for less functionality? I haven't actually seen a Samsung "in the flesh" so can't compare personally, but I have got the impression from reviews and comments that the Asus is better - pen, build quality, feel etc - but loses on cost in the US. I did like the Sony Duo, but decided I wanted something I could take apart. Not to mention price, battery life, noise and heat (although when I tested it in store I didn't notice either) and I just wasn't happy with the screen facing outwards all the time.

10. PDAJah

PDAJah Pen Pal - Newbie

At UKP699 it is a bargain! ignore that its from PC World!!!