Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my beauty yesterday. I have to say, it is a premium device. The screen is awesome and the weight and feel give it premium feel while not being too heavy.

Windows 8 - quite a learning curve. I'd appreciate any tips

A few points:

1) I'm a little annoyed there is no way in Windows 8 to stack apps when in portrait. I know it's possible in landscape to pun one on either side, but as this is a taller tablet in portrait it would be really useful when writing. Anyone know a way around this? I saw something a while back about an application that allows custom pinning windows but I just can't find it!

2) I understand the issue of the capacitive button when using one-note - I really would have liked a hardware windows key. I guess you can't disable this.

3) The stylus, there is no eraser on the other end, I thought the Asus pen had this option. Am I doing something wrong?

4) I got a full HD 1080p movie playing in MPC with the advice in the video thread. It plays in the background without issue, I'm really impressed!

5) No battery tests so far as I've only just got it fully charged but seems robust

6) Asus update seems to work perfectly. Windows update done, no issues so far.

7) Bluetooth mouse seems to be flaky, I'm not sure if it's my mouse or the bluetooth connection, I will check this soon

8) Speakers - people complain they are not loud enough but I find them fine!

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

1) Can't comment. I never use the screen in portrait mode, to be honest.

2) Use the tablet upside down so the capacitive button is away from you. Should avoid you hitting it with your wrist.

3) Definitely has an erasure on the top. Works fine in Journal for me. You have to press a bit more firmly then the writing end though.

4) Yep - Quite a low CPU usage - 20% on average I found when playing 1080p.

5) Off-dock it last around 10 hrs for me for web browsing. Very impressed. Connected standby is very erratic in regards to battery drain, however. I find sometimes it will drain 1% all day, but some days it will drain around 20%. Needs investigating.

6) Worked fine for me too. I don't envy the people who get the 'Can't connect to server' message though.

7) Try turning Wi-Fi off. Some people have said this improves things for some reason. Although this does leave you without internet though, so might not be too useful.

8) I find them very quiet. You can improve it by holding the tablet differently, though.

3. PDAJah

PDAJah Pen Pal - Newbie

For the rubber to work, at least in One Note, you do need to press the it hard against the screen as the button at the end does need to be pressed down for the erase to function.

For you BT mouse issue, try the BT drivers mentioned in this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/54684-tf810-driver-update-guide.html

4. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah yes the eraser - i was worried this woudl scratch the screen as it looks a bit hard but on closer look its the same material as the pen end

One major drawback I've found with Windows 8 is the fact you can't sync google calendar- not the devices fault obviously

In regards to Asus web storage, anyone tried? I might just stick with dropbox and google drive

5. tgwallbank

tgwallbank Pen Pal - Newbie

I notice that Breed is in the UK and can connect to the update server. I'm in the UK and get the Cannot connect message . This seems strange. I have uninstalled LiveUpdate and reinstalled it and still get the message Cannot Connect. Just wondered what message, if any, people now get who have got all the updates. Does it give you a box saying everything is up to date or what? Also just thought that I have Windows 8 Pro installed cos I wanted Media Center, wonder if that makes a difference? Can anyone else with Pro connect to LiveUpdate?

6. PDAJah

PDAJah Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the UK and could not connect before I had Win 8 Pro and still cannot connect. In the end I downloaded the drivers as per on of the other threads here and the TF810 seems more stable now. See the drivers here: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/54684-tf810-driver-update-guide.html

7. Deep Blue Sea

Deep Blue Sea Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi! Your issue appends also in Germany. It comes allways, when you try to start Asus LiveUpdate manually. If you wait until it pops up by it's own (for example, shortly after restart) it will work properly. It will show you existing updates and then you can click it to start the downloading.

Another bug: when it says it's done, it is not! If you look into the target folder, where the zip-File has been downloaded, this file will only have couple of Mb istead of 45 Mb it should be. If you check the file properties minute later, the file will icrease. The download is running in the background and it runs very slowly, although it says it were done. If you try to open the zip-file before it's ready you will get error message. Even when the download is done, don't open the zip-file. Update service will fullfill the update without you. Just go drink a cup of coffee and relax. :)

8. RussT0

RussT0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

Now that I have got my TF810 largely after reading this thread for a couple of months, along with any other material I could lay my hands on about it. I purchased it about 3 weeks ago in the UK once they had started to become readily available again. Overall I am ecstatic with it. I think this is almost the perfect device, the right balance of tablet and PC. I have found Windows 8 not too much of a problem to get used to and in fact during the day at work I use it mainly in desktop mode. I am only fairly light business user, office, Outlook, browsing etc...

However there are one or two things that I a struggling with so if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

1) If the Tablet (connected to the Keyboard dock or otherwise) has been in sleep mode for a long time, say over night, it takes a little while, long than normal, to come out and in some cases it reboots, now this might be my knowledge of how windows works but it would seem to make sense to me if the device is in sleep that it comes back on quickly as long as the batteries don't run out.

2) I have been getting "cannot connect to server" errors from the ASUS Update utility does anyone know if its broken?

3) In my offices I need to connect to an external screen, in fact I often have to do this for presentations. When I am at my desk I want to use extended desktop mode but I am finding it hard to get the right connector. I have a USB to VGA connector and this allows some of the modes on the monitors I use but not extended desktop just duplicate screen, which is fine for presentations. I am waiting for a cable to connect the micro HD to VGA to see how that works but if anyone has done this and could suggest an appropriate cable that would be great.

Other than these small niggles this is a great machine. Faster than my old machine, there is enough storage on it for my needs, and it gives me the best of both worlds both a fully functional PC and a tablet. I have iPad's and although I love their UI they cannot replace a PC and in particular Office and Outlook. I think that the Windows App store will get better over time and in many cases what I need is there or I have Windows 7 programs that will run on it. Even my companies demo systems run because its a full windows PC. I am even thinking of trading in my iPhone for a Windows Phone later in the year!

Cheers

Russ

9. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the cable that I plan to acquire: Vector HDMI Cables - Silicon Micro Display
    I have other micro HDMI cables and they all seem to bulky for phones, putting too much strain on the connector. TF810C's connector seems to be modified to match the curved borders, so I definitely want to get something as lightweight as possible.
    It's expensive, but you can get micro-to-fullsized adapters on e-bay so it can have more purposes than the tab alone.

Here is the driver/bios update pack if you can't get LiveUpdate to work. Some people seem to not be able to conect.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/55566-new-asus-drivers-810-2-20-13-a.html

10. PDAJah

PDAJah Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.