Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

So some clarification needed here.

For the benefit of new readers who may get scared off by comments (including mine) above it would seem that there is confusion over whether the dock/keyboard has been discontinued or the tf810 itself. I had read the above to be the tf810 being discontinued and hence my comments, but as pointed out earlier it could be just that the dock or the dock as a separate item has been discontinued which would be a very different situation.

Frankly, its another Asus mess due to poor communication and support BUT - this is still the best form factor on the Windows 8 platform, no one else can give me massive battery, low costs, full fat Windows 8 in a "transformer" format and the Atom processor copes admirably with all my work requirements so I am failing to see the benefit of i5/i7 based alternatives.

Just wish they would sort out the damm support!:mad:-

MM

2. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh-you-83219197145.jpeg

I find it anything else than cheap, it's pretty much it's only weakness.

3. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, in the US it's $799 for the tablet + $199 for the dock. $1,000 for an Atom transformer is pretty steep and it's more expensive than the $749 HP Envy x2 and Acer Iconia W510 with their keyboard docks. Not saying it isn't a good product or worth it but it's not cheap. For $100 more one can get a Zenbook Prime Touch Ultrabook!

4. Klingon73

Klingon73 Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe is true that Asus has a bad support, i didnt buy any Asus before. (Samsung is the best in support, at least in Europe, dont care where u buy Spain, France, Germany dont care. Upgrades, replace brokens fast, no many questions).
    But im not sure that is only a problem from Asus. I could buy TF810C in UK or Germany but Im waiting for buy it in Spain 6 months later. Why? The 810c tablet is very New with Windows 8 NEW OS and u know Microsoft sells OS and later patch them a lot, new upgrades each week, new drivers for new tablets for new OS. I think they need only time. I hope : ).

TF810C+dock is in Germany about 950Eur like Spain and France will be. In UK 700P-800P (cheaper, i dont know why) and in USA about 1.000USAD

5. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm surprised the UK is cheaper for once. This might be as Currys/PC World is the only one that has it in stock and perhaps they just want to get rid of the last few they have. The HP Envy x2 is £799!

6. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

To try to investigate the rumors about whether the TF810 was being discontinued, I emailed an Asus rep I saw mentioned earlier in this thread. I got this reply:

Thank you for reaching out. I've seen the rumors on the forums, and I would just like to say that the TF810 IS NOT being discontinued. We still have multiple accounts selling the product and do no plan on discontinuing it early, either.

The only retail store that I know of that is carrying it would be select Best Buy stores, Sam's Club and Microsoft retail stores. Aside from them, I don't think any other retail accounts are carrying them.

However, you can find lots of online resellers who have it in stock still. Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect all have them as of now.

7. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

I actually do think it is low costs relative to the alternatives.

I paid £700 for mine in the uk to replace a Lenovo Tablet that cost me £1500 a few years back. The equivalent Lenovo I would also look at is the Helix which will have a £1500+ price tag as well. I could get a Surface Pro (if you could find one) but by the time you add a keyboard that will be £1000. OK these all have i5/7 processors so you may say it isn't a fair comparison but see my comment about trade off's, the Atom does everything I need with a massive battery life.

Equally I could look at some of the similar Atom devices like the Ativ. I would only save £100 roughly and sacrifice the battery life as they have no second battery in the dock.

So in my view it is low costs compared to what I was planning to spend on a business machine and good value compared to its direct Atom powered competitors due to the battery life (and it looks nicer :))

Cheers,

MM

8. PDAJah

PDAJah Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought my TF810C from PC World for UKP699.99 about 3 weeks ago. For a business person like myself, I cannot explain how important it is to have great battery life. This device will always last a full working day and is powerful enough for most business tasks. Also at the UK price, which includes the keyboard, it is a bargain!

9. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

Well considering the VivoSmart is almost 1/2 the price it's a bit of a ripoff. The Smart is 500 euros and TF810c around 1000. In any way you'd put it the digitizer and keyboard aren't worth 500 euros. However there is no better alternative at the time so Asus pretty much has no competition in the Atom range of tablets out there.

I know both Dell, HP, Samsung and Lenovo have Atom tablets, however a quick look over specs, size, weight and battery will easily point the winner out. The two years asus had to perfect this design really show.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. PDAJah

PDAJah Pen Pal - Newbie

Based on a UK price of UKP700, the TF810c is the equivalent of Euros 810!! Not sure why it is so expensive outside the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.