Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mproudfoot

mproudfoot Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi folks, I don;t actually own a TF810C (yet) but am quite close to doing so and just wondered if I could get some feedback from current owners regarding a couple of points?

Basically, I currently have a 64Gb Surface RT (with 64Gb micro-sdxc card) which I really like, and was intending to use as a complete photo manipulation/browsing/email/entertainment device on an upcoming vacation to Costa Rica. However, it looks like I may have to do some work whilst away - and that unfortunately includes remote access to a customer site using their (Juniper networks) VPN software which is not achievable using Windows RT.

So.. I'm left with the choice of either taking a laptop which is something I was hoping to avoid (I'll be taking a load of photography gear and was hoping to get away with a tablet only) or ditching the Surface and getting an x86 compatible device. I have ruled out all the Ivy Bridge tablet options due to battery life so the TF810C looks like the best option.

So my queries are:

1. Has anyone tried photo editing using their TF810? If so, what software did you use and how was performance? I understand that the Cedar Trail and 2Gb may be limit the Photoshop experience but I am looking to be able to at least touch up the jpeg images (24mp) and file the RAW images away onto an external drive.

2. My Surface has around 46Gb free before I load any apps and, with several apps installed, I now have about 32Gb free. How are people finding the 64Gb storage on the TF810 with full Win8? I'd probably be installing some kind of imaging package, office 2010 and possible some emulation software (depending on how they run). All data such as movies/images/music will be offloaded to micro-SDXC and a portable HDD.

On the same note, is it worthwhile/easy enough to move the recovery partition off to an external flash drive?

3. Has anyone tried running console/home computer emulation software (e.g. WinUAE, Snex9x, GENS etc) - if so, how well does it run on the Atom?

Many thanks in advance for any feedback received - I have done some searching online, but either my search kung-fu is weak or there's not a whole lot of info out there on the above topics available yet.

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

1) Can't comment as I don't do photo editing.

2) Space will be a bit tight. I found once OOBE completes and Windows updates are installed you're left with around 30GB (The recovery partition eats around 8G). The recovery partition can be moved to a USB drive with a built in Windows 8 utility. I've never ran it personally. Might want to double check it will boot before you wipe the partition afterwards, though!

3) I've ran ePSXe successfully, graphics were a little slow, but that was with the really buggy GFX drivers. Still need to try it with the new updates. I'm sure you'll have absolutely no issues with stuff like Snes9x. Not exactly resource intensive.

EDIT: Just tested FFIX on ePSXe, it now runs fine on the lowest settings. I'll have to experiment to see how high I can bump the settings up. Also ran FFVI in zSNES and that ran perfectly too :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. mproudfoot

mproudfoot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much Breed - quite interesting to hear that it runs ePSXe. I've not really played about with PSX emulation much,I mostly use SNES, Megadrive and Amiga emus but I do have some good memories of the early PSX games (Jumping Flash, Krazy Ivan, Doom etc) so will give that a go.

4. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I have tested Kega genesis emulator and it runs superfast, even with filters. Snes9x runs very fast with simple filters, not so much if you use DirectX or OpenGl filters; I remember that Project64 runs fast too

Photo editing is fine, I still use old Photoshop versions 4.0.1 and 5.5 for painting but they are still quite good for editing (1996 and 1999). Also Photoshop cs6 works well so far. All of the painting apps I have tested, including Sai run good even on 6000x4000px canvases with layers, I run them without too many programs running in the background. Windows 8 manages ram very well.

With all my applications and games I mostly need I still have 10gb left, so disk space is not worrying for me, I recently bough a 64gb sdxc card and I'll save my work there, it is good as a backup.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Office 2013, multiple imaging software, some emulators, photos, and about 7 hours of high quality video sitting on my tablet and have 12.5gb free right now. My 64gb microsd has 31gb free. It's very comfortable.

On the topic of Office, I highly recommend you get Office 2013 if you use OneNote, or often edit documents without thousands of words. The buttons automatically resize themselves whenever you're using touch, and opening the onscreen keyboard automatically scrolls the document so your typing is not obscured (Extremely important!!)

I also recommend a little program called NTFSlink if you're getting a microsd card. It allows you to create shortcuts so deep, that software can't tell that the files are actually somewhere else and even the file paths assume that there actually is no shortcut. Useful for using your Pictures, Music and Videos libraries when the files are actually on the microsd card. Windows 8's media apps only ever look into the libraries, so you have no other choice. You can also use Command Prompt to create these hardlinks, but the light piece of software makes everything much easier.

Finally, I suggest you don't delete or move the recovery permission unless you're low on space. I've refreshed and reset my Vivo Tab many times. Perhaps this is because I was fiddling with drivers designed for HP and Samsung stuff during the early trial-and-error period of this device, before this part of the forums grew. Now there are official drivers, so it's less of an issue. Better safe than sorry, I think, this is riskier than any other device (Can't replace drives, no disc drive, keyboard may not work due to possibly proprietary connection method, USB sticks may not work due to the required adaptor and non-standard connection, etc)

6. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

First of major bug encountered today. During note taking inclass, my screen randomly shut on and off, or the tablet went in and out of sleep for some reason, and I got two dead spots for my stylus on the screen. Refresh did not help, disabling drivers etc did nothing. After hours of fiddling and updates the problem just went away. Multiple restarts always put the dead spots in general location on one orientation of the screen, but the spots moved. Nothing I did seemed to work. The problem could have been caused because I left my tablet in sleep over night. Generally I shutdown over night, but this was stressful, and now everÿhing is back to optimum operating order.

7. Deep Blue Sea

Deep Blue Sea Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

During my last attempt to reset the system to factory image something went wrong at 75% and so the Tab killed itself. No OS, no start, nothing. Only " ASUS Inspiring Innovation, Persistent Perfection". Oh, how ironic... :-D
    So I had to send my device to asus, and the've reinstalled Windows (Just imagine this one more time: A graduade Engineer is supposed to send his tablet to manufacturer to reinstall the OS ). ... This is not funny anymore.

Now it works, I'm downloading the drivers and probably I will finally get happy with this tab, when I'm done.

Anyway, there are some reasons for me to buy it. And if the drivers work, I will forgive Asus the last 2 months of terror. I even probably will buy other Asus devices in the future. Why? The 90% of reasons are exactly the same as the ones galtom told on the last page. Even the words are the same I would use to explain my chose.

The rest 10%:

I bought my first convertible tablet from HP right before the beginning of the studies just because I wanted too. Just a toy. But suddenly it became a very important part of my studies of naval architecture. I wrote every lecture on the tablet, saved every ebook on it, but I was dreaming about something less heavy (tx2140 weights 2,2 kg) and more mobile (battery life of less than 3 hours). But such a tablet just didn't exist. For me it became clear, that I never want to miss a wacom digitizer (I thin a tab without it is just useless consumer's toy) and that I never want to miss a big display. So, when ASUS slate ep121 came out I was one of it's the first buyers. It weight only 1,16 kg, runs almost 4 hours and was the most powerful slate tablet on market for at least an year. But I wanted something impossible from this tablets - a desktop replacement. And I saw, that I was wrong, when I was supposed to work with autoCAD first time and it didn't work. For this reason I was forced to buy a dedicated desktop PC, which has been transformated into a CAD workstation couple of years later. Anyway, the power of ep121 became obsolete and now instead of "Notebook without a keyboard" I was looking for a "Netbook without a keyboard". No matter how weak it is, it had to run for hours and hours and it should be as lightweight as possible. Unfortunately, my perfect tablet also didn't exist and came out only when clover trail were invented. Core-CPU-Tablets are to powerful for what I was looking. After comparing all the upcomming models, Asus was just the best in criteria of price-vs-effectivity.

Now I fanally have exactly what I was looking for.

8. loxzzz

loxzzz Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received word from an asus rep in Canada that the tf810 dock is discontinued and that there is currently no replacement scheduled st this time. Now I don't know what to do, sell the tablet or buy the discontinued dock from the states and pay large Shipping and duties fees. Thanks Asus

9. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

You probably could have put a Windows 8 ISO on a memory stick, booted to the installer, then accessed the OEM Restore partition via the Advanced Startup Options there. Would have saved you sending it to Asus!

10. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

Are they really discontinuing this product already? God damn. I LOVE THIS MACHINE. For the professional using Onenote, Outlook, and Word, it's the great promise. I'm sad this form factor didn't get more traction. Asus should give it more time (and support). I'm confident this is the wave of the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.