Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I can see how the removable keyboard will lead to you walking away with the tablet.

I've decided on the Asus. I went to PC World and they have 3 in stock in the entire country in the warehouse somewhere. The guy has asked for one to be delivered to the store. Seriously though, 3 in the entire Currys/PC world stock. How can this be? Something doesnt make sense. You can't buy it anywhere.

2. MaximumFish

MaximumFish Pen Pal - Newbie

Similar to the trouble I had getting one in Sydney. Plenty of places advertising them but nowhere in stock apart from one place miles away from me that seemed to be a massive Asus warehouse. Wouldn't surprise me if they had the only stock in the state.

3. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I just get an update on the DRIVER state failure, and freezing issues associated with the Vivotab 810c. Do alot of poeple get it, or all of you or some of you?
    I have contacted Asus support via Email, I keep getting told to send into repairs, but I can return for exchange so need to know if it can or has been solved with the updates. Calling support and they are at a loss with the driver power state failure issue, equally they dont seem to have the driver update 2.03.
    Currently I am one of the few who is stuck on the 33% unzip failure issue with the liveupdate, so I am unable to see if the updates help. I have done a reinstall of the OS, and that brought the freezing down to once a day or less. Which is great as it used to freeze few times a day, and having to manually restart is a pain.
    I like the tablet and there are no options like it on the market atm, as mentioned ebove size, Asus, battery life are all points I want.

4. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

Read the update thread,

This is what worked for me:

Try deleting all the logs and the files in download. Make sure these guys aren't running:
    LiveUpdate.exe
    EeeStorageCommand.exe

Delay the sleep time so it doesn't enter sleep mode in 3 minutes and monitor your traffic with task manager. If the traffic stops, close, in this order:
    LiveUpdate.exe
    EeeStorageCommand.exe

Start live update again, it will hash check and resume downloading.

5. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Just yesterday my Live Update reported new updates available for download (ver 2.03 - size 45,4 MB) but I was not able to install them.
    Checked Asus site to download them and install manually but they are not published in support/download section.

6. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

(as why TF810c)

Right now I got a bit of spare time so I can write a bit more - why.

I was looking/waiting for an iPad regalement for last 3 years.
    I still have iPad 1st gen.
    When Tegra 2 devices showed up I have almost got one.
    After consideration of all pros and cons I have decided to wait.
    Tegra 2 + Android did not offer in my view anything (or much) more than I already had.
    I like idea of Transformer, but 10" size was still to small for comfortable work away from office and Android system was lacking (as iOS) in terms of multitasking and software that I need for comfortable work (mainly Office and easy to use [Windows] desktop browsers).
    When Tegra 3 devices were introduced not much changed (better video playback capabilities - also important for me - Netflix/Hulu/720p mkv, etc) but again - beside entertainment (that was partially offered by my old iPad) not much changed in terms of productivity. Also, Windows 8 was supposed to be released quite soon and not long after fires Transformer - like devices with Win 8 on board were presented.
    I decided to wait again as this was exactly what I was looking for.
    Comfort of iPad - when relaxing, plus ability to work (during weekend - buuu :-( ) when necessary/

Now, to the main subject - why out of all devices TF810c?

First of all, as I wrote I needed comfort of iPad.
    That meant that device had to have similar weight and passive cooling.
    Since I do not play much any more (few games on my desktop PC) and I hardly played on iPad - computing power was not an issue.
    Combining that with bigger weight, heat and noise from all iCore tablets/hybrids = Atom Z2760 was only sensible choice.

I have checked (to make sure) all iCore tablets in the shops and I was right - they are heavy, they blow hot air and I would never use this extra computing power that could justify this sort of purchase.
    Probably those of you who need extra RAM, Cores and Mhz will be happy with them but I my case it would be a waste.

Than I have looked at Z2760 choices.

Samsung Ativ - at first I thought, this is it. Price was acceptable, size was right, screen resolution was the ONE (I don't want Full HD screen because of video streaming/battery life/ CPU/GPU power needed to run it).
    Luckily for me I was able to touch one first.
    I was very unhappy with plastic quality, lack of second battery in the dock and weight.
    Since in my case this purchase has to stay with me next 3 (maybe more) years I wanted to buy something that will make me happy on all angles.

HP Enxy x2 - I was looking at it right next to TF810c.
    It is a bit cheaper - true, but also does not come as well equipped as Asus.
    First I have asked myself if saving few bucks on a device that is supposed to stay with me that long (and make me happy every day) sensible?
    Well, no :).
    I like that I got case for tablet, I like that I got USB dongle, I like that I got WACOM stylus.
    If I would buy all that separate would HP still be cheaper? Doubt...

Secondly the look. I simply do not like that HP got so flashy, so "look at me!".
    Its big HP at the back is almost as shouting as the once on Macs.
    It is to round.
    I wanted something that looks ordinary but does not feel cheap - and Asus does not disappoint here.
    Materials are great, it comes with all the options you will ever need, built quality is superb.

The only thing that I like better with HP is docking mechanism. While with Asus you need to get used to it a bit and you need to do it carefully with HP this was not the case.
    Hooks (and I think magnets) were big and easy to target - so big plus for HP for the way tablets docks in keyboard... but... well that is it. One could say that additional SD extension is useful in dock.
    Probably if you work with big files and you got lots of them YES.

In my case however that was not essential. I still don't have additional 64GB micro SD in tablet and I got over 15GB left after 3 weeks of working on it.
    Holidays? Lots of pictures? I will simply plug USB HDD when necessary - additional SD card would not be a solution here.
    And since it is Atom based device I do not plan to work with big files on it anyway.

I choose Asus and beside small driver issue (that I am certain will be sorted soon) I am 100% happy with my choice.

7. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Galtom for your reply. I agree with your logic. I also do not need a powerhouse as I do not play many games. I also don't really do any video rendering or deal with massive photoshop files.

I do use photoshop and would like the ability to quickly edit and resize an image, but nothing more heavy than that.

The stylus will be a good touch

I have just read that clover trail devices can have SSD, so now I'm really confused.

8. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

Wherever you read it, there's somebody really misinformed. If I'm not mistaken even HP advertises "SSD" in their X2.

Just because these tablets have flash memory, it doesn't mean it's an SSD. Just because SSDs use flash memory that doesn't make every flash chip an SSD.

Now to the technical aspect:
    The SATA controler is integrated in the in the Southbridge on the motherboard on normal PCs.
    However everything is integrated into the Z2760 (Including North- and Southbridge) and multiple reports already confirmed no SATA controller is onboard, so there is no way somebody can add a SATA controller or even run an SSD at SATA speeds.

Adding a separate Southbridge chip or SATA controller is most likely neither possible nor relevant considering the extra power needed to drive it.

Whoever claims that an Atom Z2760 based tablet has anything to do with SSD is either a fraud or dumb.

You could wait if you want since nothing can make a more spectacular difference than an SSD in PC performance (IMHO) but intel will probably not bother including one as long as the ARM competition doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this vadimpelau

It's exactly that, misinformation at the stores. Currys states this:

Hard drive 64GB SATA III, 5400 rpm

What a joke!

10. Cthugha

Cthugha Pen Pal - Newbie

Read the driver update thread including my post here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.