Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys

I was in Currys (UK) and saw the Samsung ATIV Smart PC - exact same specs to the Vivo Tab 810 but apparently it has an SSD instead of eMMC. Can this be the case?

The downsides of the samsung I note are as follows:
    1) slightly thicker and heavier
    2) 100% plastic finish
    3) no battery in the keyboard dock

Positives:
    1) It's available easily and £50 cheaper
    2) Slot for the Spen
    3) Samsung driver and customer support is better than Asus

I'm wondering if anyone else considered the Samsung and can give a few reasons why they went for the Asus?

2. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

3. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

It's same SOC with the same components built in and lacks SATA and USB 3.0 support, all Z2760 devices have eMMC. The screen is also a lot dimmer 400nits compared to 600nits.
    While I do favor Samsung over Asus, this is their first transformer device and I don't like how it manages to weigh more for the same battery size (both have 30wh).
    As for support fingers can be pointed at intel since the updated drivers they provided and HP delivered cause screen flickering. Most complaints here are driver or windows related and you'll probably encounter the same issues on samsung's tab.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you help me out with a few reasons?

5. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

As vadimpelau stated, the Samsung ATIV Smart PC is also eMMC. The z2760 doesn't support SATA so it can't have an SSD.

I've also read in reviews that since the dock doesn't have a battery, it's very light and makes to device top-heavy when in laptop mode. To be honest, the extra battery life is the main appeal of these devices to me. Without one, I don't see the advantage (technologically-wise) over the ME400C with a transleeve keyboard..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure thing - ask me whatever you want :)

Beside Samsung XE500 I had my hands on XE700, and Dell XPS12, and Envy x2 and Iconia W510? (the one with keyboard) and Vaio Duo (if I got the name right).

7. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I did try to tell the Currys guy that it's not SSD, I can't believe they make the mistakes with the label, although it's also on other websites.

How are you guys getting on with the narrow screen in portrait mode?

I've just started a sole trade and need a laptop for it and if I buy one before April I'll be able to claim back a tax rebate of at least 32% so now seems like the time to buy!

8. galtom

galtom Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't use it in portrait mode. I have never used iPad this way either (well, few time when a game needed that mode).

9. loxzzz

loxzzz Pen Pal - Newbie

Any Canadians here that have managed to get hold of the dock? Any retailers here I've spoken with tell me it's a discontinued product and they won't be receiving anymore.

10. MaximumFish

MaximumFish Pen Pal - Newbie

I went with the Asus because I've always been impressed with their motherboards in the past - they tend to be built to last - and my experience with the original Transformer, beyond the lack of any decent apps at the time, was generally positive.

I looked at a few of the i5/i7 models like the Taichi and XPS12. The former's battery life was disappointing and in the flesh it just looks outdated with its enormous bezel. I almost bought the XPS12 (in fact I placed and later cancelled an order) as I liked the hinge mechanism and the overall size but the lack of pen input turned me off.

In the end I decided that battery life was way more important than grunt for the tasks I'd mostly be doing (taking notes and running admin utilities like Filezilla and PuTTY) and I have a beefy desktop and Xbox for gaming so I looked at the Atoms. I'm not a massive fan of detachable keyboards as I find that, unless you explicitly re-dock it whenever you're finished using the tablet, you'll invariably not have it with you when you need it! That said, Atom tablets with built-in keyboards seem to outright not exist so I was stuck with it.

The Samsung was out due to having no secondary battery in the dock, both for the unbalanced weighting mentioned above and because the backup battery is half the appeal of a dock. I've never been much of a fan of Acer build quality and I'd read mixed reviews about their tablets so that was out. Again, I was down to a choice of Asus or Asus (I didn't know of the HP model until after I'd purchased). I was about to go for the VivoTab Smart as I was happy with the idea of a smart cover to type on but the lack of pen support ruled that one out.

So overall I've been happy with the TF810C. I've had the same niggles as most people here but I see they've just released a bunch of drivers which will hopefully fix most, if not all of those. And I'm still struggling with the detachable keyboard for the reasons mentioned above! Currently I'm taking great pains to attach the dock after use both to keep them together and protect the screen, but it does detract from the portability and pick-up-and-go mantra of a tablet somewhat.

Still, if it's £50 between that and the Samsung I'd say get the Asus, if only for the extra battery in the dock as it nearly doubles the overall run-time for very little weight.

TL;DR - The Asus is the current best of the bunch in terms of both build quality and features. For an extra £50 it's a no-brainer, especially as they've finally started releasing updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.