Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Tonitti,

Disable Windows auto-brightness under General Settings (Charms) to achieve actual max brightness.

2. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I already did that because I also didn't like the auto feature, still It looks like about the same brightness as the Ipad 3, to my eyes.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a glimpse of what was going to be a drawing session using the tablet, Sai and a customized toolbar until my broken camera battery run out of juice suddenly; I'll make a full session when it's repaired. I wanted to make a good video and post it to Youtube to encourage people to buy it as an artist tool and maybe then Asus realizes that they need to provide driver updates for it and not left it in hardware limbo.

Asus Vivotab Tf810c - Glimpse of a drawing using Autohotkey Toolbar (1080p) - YouTube

4. pko

pko Pen Pal - Newbie

Any idea where I can go see a tf810c in person? Don't seem to be any in the Best Buy/Staples/MS Store locations I have visited in my area (DC/Suburban Virginia.)

5. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't hold your breath. I've been waiting for a place to see this thing for weeks. Asus does not seem to want to bring this to brick and mortar retail stores.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

6. Deep Blue Sea

Deep Blue Sea Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, and regards from Germany!

I have my tf810c since 20th of december and have a story to tell, I think. It's a play in many - many acts I guess.

Act 1: The buying of the tablet was a stroy on it's own in Germany. I purchased it on Amazon, then waited for 2 months for it, but it never came because it's not available until April or so in Germany. I've got it from other german electronics seller, but without a keyboard. Bad desicion, because the qwertz-Keyboards are not available for buying too... Noone knows when it will be available at all.

Act 2: when I became the tablet I was happy over the clouds and above! I moved to tf810c from an Asus EEE slate ep121, which I was using fro my naval architecture studies. You should know, that due to the tablets (the firs one I had was HP Pavillion tf2140eg convertible) I almost completely got rid off paper in my household, so the VivoTab was the best piece of hardware I ever held in my hands! But now it feels like the russian joke about the mice, who sting themself, cry, but still eating a cactus. I've got EVERY SINGLE BUG, which has been described in this thread! (Excepting the keyboard docking bugs :) )

Act 3: As a student I am registered in MSDN Academic Alliance, so I got windows 8 pro for free and installed it to be shure, that it would be completely free of any OEM bugs and so on. But... It didn't regognised almost 50 % of hardware off the box! NOTHING worked properly. After two days of messing up with the drivers from this forum I finally got ... wi-Fi working ... After all, there was no possibility to get ca. 20% of hardware working. All the sensors were offline and so on.

Act 4: I tought: SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY, IMMEDIATLY!!! But ... Windows 8 pro has no access to the recovery partition. Nothing works. install.wim file is there, but the partition is locked. I called Asus Tech support and asked for a DVD or so with a recovery image. First they said me
    support -"your device is not available in Germany". WTF?!
    me - "Guys, I bought it one of the biggest harware markets of this land, what's going on there?". But finally they said, that there is no recovery DVD or something similar. Then I've asked for the drivers. They said

support -"For your device there is no driver support and probably there will be no support in the future"
    me - "WHY!!!!?"
    support -"Because it was designed as a closed OEM device without any possibility for user to change the OS or so. Even the USB-booting were canceled for this reason. Finally you do not expect an installation DVD if you buy an iPad or Android Tablet. Don't you?"
    me - "W....T....F....?!", pause...
    me -"Hey if you want to compare yourself with Apple to try at least to bring up a M*****F****g working device!"
    support - "Sorry we cant' to anything for you, just send in this device"

O-o-o-o-ok. I wrote to the RMA service, but they said - it's not a warranty case, so you can send in, but it will cost 80€ for an inspection even if we will not repair it... Any repairs cost extra money...

Act 5: somehow I found a way to copy the recovery image from the partition to my desktop PC, so I will not loose it anymore. In the end recovery DVD woudn't help much, because without Docking you only have one USB port in the multipurpose connector, so you either can recharge the tab or connect a USB-DVD-drive. For a recovery from DVD you need both...

When I finally recovered the system to factory image it ... refused to activate it with the old key... So I tried an online upgrade to windows 8 pro and activated it with this Professional key. So I've finally got pro on the tab but kept my drivers from the OEM version with no need to search for drivers or to reinstall it.

Act 6: First the tab worked properly and was fast but then the problems came and I am pretty shure, that the problems were caused by one of the Windows updates. Every week more problems appeared. Until it stoped to reboot. You get blackscreen on start up. You have to hard reboot the tab to use it. No problem if you don't reset it usualy, but unfortunately i have to reset it usualy becuase of a system process, which always needs 25% of CPU and sucks my Battery twice as fast as usualy. Only restart helped to get rid off this problem ... until the next appearance of this devilish process.

Act 7: Right now I'm recovering the old OEM system instead of learning for a very importnt exam, which takes place in 10 hours... Someone, pleace call an exorcist for my PC or so...

P.R.: still loving this device somehow. Does it meen I became Windows monk, just like the Apple sectants?

WBR, Deep Blue Sea

7. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow... now that is quite a story...

I did once mess the tablet up while messing with the video drivers and it would't boot to the desktop anymore, however windows identified the booting issue and started to fix it. Although it was not, at some point I supposed it was stuck, rebooted and tried in every conceivable way to boot off a windows 8 DVD... which was not possible so I just let it be. Luckily auto-fixing worked.

But my more similar story is with the transformer prime, where Asus locked the bootloader in a similar dumb way, cutting off completely any backup and restore solution. After thousands of pleas by the developer community, they partly opened up the bootloader and I was able to install a backup/restore solution for the OS... that completely broke the tablet after the first major OS update. Luckily (again) RMA was a breeze, probably because I mentioned a few other bugs the tab had such as poor GPS and WiFi signal, lightbleeding and so on.

I don't know what Asus is trying to achieve by dumbing down their products but on an x86 device it's absurd to not be able to boot windows from a DVD, or a PE environment. I do not know what having an EFI bios implies (this is my first EFI enabled device) but I want to be able to access my device however I want.
    I might be mistaken, but I think there might be the case for a petition.

8. Deep Blue Sea

Deep Blue Sea Pen Pal - Newbie

Ooooh, my... even with the right settings the refreshment or reset does not work because it breaks down during the restart (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE). This God damned peace of aluminium, silicate glass, Galium Arsenide and Indium Sulfide drives me crasy!!!

I feel like I had a prototype device with beta OS.

9. pdott

pdott Pen Pal - Newbie

can someone help me? i have a problem with my touch screen on asus vivotab tf810c. cannot use my finger to swipe charm bar. i think it need to re-calibrate the touch because when i touch the screen it show big dot..help please!!!!!!!!

10. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

Using OnNote 2013, not seen any real performance issues, pretty much the same as 2010.

Cheers,

MM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.