Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pleomin

pleomin Pen Pal - Newbie

Even the top of the line Cintiq screens suffer from this. Here is an official reply on the Wacom forums as to why.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. mm289

mm289 Tablet Business User

Thanks Breed thats all I needed to know:)

MM

3. mm289

So first impressions.......

Just spent the last day loading Office 2013, setting up outlook accounts, syncing to my Dropbox etc. I will avoid commenting on W8 a that is not machine specific (but is frustrating!).

Main concerns at the moment are the overall speed and the driver "bugs". Drivers are discussed a lot elsewhere so again I won't go on about them but so far I have flickering screens and keyboard refusing to charge to 100% (75% best I can do so far)

Main concern is speed. I am not expecting this to be as quick as an i5 obviously but when doing installs and updates it just sits for ages. It is really frustrating as well that you can't even look at a little hard disk activity light so you know something is happening!

And just general switching between active windows, loading new "tiles" etc. seems really slow. My Lenovo X61 is a 5 year old processor running an SSD and opens apps such as Outlook much quicker than this does.

So, like the lightweight and detachable screen, but not sure yet if this will ever be more than a toy for home use unless I can get it to perform a bit better. :(

Cheers,

MM

4. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

You can't compare an SSD with eMMC storage. eMMC puts us in the 5400-7200rpm HDD speed range and I'm not talking high end models. CPU has nothing to do with it. If an i5 is paired with an eMMC it will work just as slow when "disk" data is involved.

Best solution I found is to run installers from the microsd. I'm not sure what you mean with "loading new tiles though".

Btw, regarding office 2013. It seems slower than 2010 and the damn autocorrect feature was removed. Preventing typing errors is now a complete mess as there is no quick way of adding words to the autocorrect database.
    This feature is essential for touch screens, not to mention tiny keyboards like vivotab's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. mr2ns

mr2ns Pen Pal - Newbie

Whose tried changing the bios setting to always max use cpu? any issues?

6. mm289

Yep, hear you about eMMC. By W8 tiles I mean opening up Music or Photos from the Metro interface.

I need to order up a decent sized MicroSD and then see what speed is like. Just installed iTunes and it took 10 minutes! UAC seems to cause the system to hang, had to hard reboot in the middle and reinstall in the middle as it just froze at the point where the UAC authorisation pop up would normally appear.

I haven't applied any of the drivers fix's intentionally at the moment as I want to see what the standard build is like.

Also, wonder how much bloatware is on here as before I installed anything I had already lost 10Gb of storage and the HD is only showing 50Gb available to start with!

Cheers,

MM

7. vadimpelau

DON'T! install iTunes. Seriously, there is nothing more slow and bloated than iTunes. It also has processes that will run in the background all the time, slow down your startup, lower your battery life and slow down the whole OS. Try looking for an alternative or at least a portable version.

Also a big red don't are the Sandisk memory cards. Their "rated" speeds always fall way below the rating. They have an "ultra pro" (or something) version, but it's only 16gb. Go with Samsung instead, I have a 32gb card rated 10mb/s write 20 read and the specs are exactly there! I've also seen a 64GB one 20mb/s write 70mb/s read but people report speeds more like 16/45mb/s. Idk if the speeds depend on the USB controller but they might, so we won't get full speed either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. -sigge-

-sigge- Pen Pal - Newbie

How can anyone complain about this tablets speed? I have no slowdown ever on mine. You must have faulty machines. I have installed Office - it took seconds, much faster than on any other machine, including my Mac. The tiles are super smooth and I never, ever have to wait for anything, unless I'm on a slow cennection somewhere.

If you expect to perform CPU taxing tasks like a stationary high end machine, then you are diluding yourself, but it's absolutely the quickest little machine I've ever had, and I am a tech junkie. And with absolutely zero heat and noise!

My only complaint is some unstability I hade after a Windows update. I reverted it to save point and turned off updates and since then I've had zero issues.

I'm amazed at all the negative remarks and problems people seem to have with their machines. I couldn't be happier with mine.

9. mm289

If yours is working great for you sigge then thats awesome, congratulations, don't think it means others who ask questions or try to improve theirs means they are complaining or being negative :)

Thanks for the ffedback on SD's vad, will bear that in mind.

Cheers,

MM

10. vadimpelau

Well the tile apps do load slower than android apps for example. But I think that's a windows issue since it's the same on my pc. I too have no issues, the only one I've actually confirmed is the bluetooth that does indeed need updated drivers. I'm afraid that those with flickering screen issues that hope for a driver "fix" might be disappointed. Other than bluetooth everything is great out of the box with the default drivers.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013