Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveProzac

DaveProzac Pen Pal - Newbie

This is more of a rant; a pre-buyer experience if you will. Over the last day I have called and messaged numerous retailers as well as ASUS to clear up some confusion, mostly on the retailers part, about what comes in the box when you purchase an ASUS tf810c. According to an ASUS rep "All tf810c's are sold without a keyboard." I confirmed that "unless the retailer explicitly states that it comes with a keyboard/dock then there is likely not one included." I was told they are sold separately due to the keyboard being considered a dock.

I am supremely underwhelmed by how vague both ASUS and online retailers have been about what is included in the purchase. Microsoftstore.com reps told me via chat that it does come with the dock, but upon calling I was told the opposite. Two calls to macmall.com provided a similar experience, the first rep telling me that MacMall Part #: 9389578 does not come with a keyboard. On my second call I asked the rep to verify this and was told that it does come with a keyboard. I am aware ASUS cannot do the retailers' job for them, but ASUS is not doing it's job when I have to sit on hold for 10 minutes while one of their rep finds an answer to a seemingly simple question. The rep did her job flawlessly, but why has ASUS made the information so difficult to find?

For those who have purchased one of these units with a keyboard dock, could you please list what comes in the box/es. Also does the case/cover/sleeve fit the tablet when matted with the keyboard? Any other interesting observations about the included parts/pieces?

The purchase experience is important to me as it shows whether a company stands behind it's product and feels that it has produced something worth fielding. ASUS seems to be halfheartedly backing this thing, keeping certain aspects under-wraps on purpose. I was ready to purchase a unit this morning but am having second thoughts. The extra battery life is important to me, but maybe the Samsung Ativ 500 would be less hassle in the long run? I am a sad and lonely tech geek an all, but seriously!?!? Am I alone in my frustration? Any thoughts from current VivoTab or Ativ 500 owners regarding the purchasing experience? Any retailers you would recommend from experience? (Please do not Google for the lowest price and list the url as I have done this numerous times over the last week already =), Macmall has the best price for the combo so far but they are out of stock and on 2 week back-order.)

2. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

From the Preorder thread, here are some pictures I took of the device comparing it to a MacBook Air. There are also some images showing it in the sleeve with the keyboard. As between the Ativ and the VivoTab, I think you're going to be a lot happier with the VivoTab dock. Not only does it have a battery in the dock, but the interface between the two is more robust. You'll see on the Ativ that it relies on contact pressure between two, whereas the Asus keyboard actually "plugs in" to the tablet. It's for this reason, people are struggling with disconnects with the Samsung (and it's a physical problem that cannot be fixed with drivers).

Also, the box for the keyboard dock includes -- the keyboard dock. Nothing else, and yes it's a completely separate box.

Anyway, from my other post --

3. DaveProzac

DaveProzac Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for the pictures! The sleeve looks like it would work perfectly for me. I agree, this unit is my preferred device if I were to purchase but reading through this thread the support seems nonexistent. Why ASUS does not have a gallery of this device in numerous configurations on their website is beyond me; this thing is dead sexy! Did they cut their marketing department? Either way, thank you again for the pictures they are worth 2000 words imo. More input and experiences would be welcome. Cheers!

4. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a lot for those pictures. Still got a wait for a week for Scandinavian keyboard so its great to see the sleeve working with it. In general i was impressed by the accessory quality that came with the device (especially the sleeve and stylus).

Btw a stupid question, but i can't get my Vivo Tab to connect my month old desktop PC. It charges, but does not appear on My Computer. Some setting i'm missing?

5. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

Since the 810C is a Windows computer, it will not show up when you connect it to your PC via USB. It does not behave like an Android tablet, where it shows up as an external drive. But, you can transfer files easily via Wi-Fi or hard-wired ethernet (provided you have a USB ethernet adapter for an RJ-45 connector), no differently than transferring files between "normal" PCs or notebooks.

All you need to do is open My Computer, click on 'Network', and your VivoTab will show up. It sometimes helps if the devices are on the same workgroup, otherwise you may not be able to see it while brousing the network.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. Teval2

Teval2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed drivermax and scanned for driver updates and found one for the dock that i installed, seems to have solved the touchpad issue for me, Worth a try.

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you provide the link to this driver please?
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

8. Teval2

Teval2 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. beachman

beachman Pen Pal - Newbie

Driver update - Use DriverMax to update all your Windows PC drivers

I have a solution for the battery draining, disable the ASUSACPI service! I dont know what the service does, but it seems like the service prohibit the tablet to go to sleep, and it also consumes cpu... At least it works for me, I have had it disabled for 4 Days now without having to charge the battery!!

10. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you still have support for multi-touch gestures such as pinch-to-zoom with the trackpad on that driver? Also, could you post the version number from device manager? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.