Asus Vivo tab tf810 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nnthemperor, Dec 5, 2012.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi guys I think now that most people have received their vivotab 810 there should be a dedicated thread for it, just as the EP121 which is now almost obsolete. Moderators how about that? Let's post information on driver availability, problems and tweaks.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

2. Inkermoy

Inkermoy Scribbler - Standard Member

May as well get this thread rolling from the Preorder one. Continued from the other thread:

Well, it seems that my Search-Fu is weak as I can hardly find any reference or solution to the "A supported tablet was not found on system" message. Someone recommended reinstalling the OS, but I think doing that on the tablet will just bring it back to the Asus image. I've contacted Wacom's Support so hopefully they may have some answers. If I can't find a solution to installing the Wacom drivers, I may have to return it and go back to the Samsung ATIV since I know I was able to install it on there. I'd hate to lose the battery life though.

Observation: Docking the tablet to the keyboard, the keyboard was essentially sucked dry down to 5% within a day, even sleeping overnight. Tablet power light was amber and was on even though the screen wasn't on and lid closed. Is this what other people are getting?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. nnthemperor

Noticed the keyboard battery issue. Was surprised it got down to 4%, Dont really remember how long i used it docked. Just charged it full. Will see if there's a problem.

4. nnthemperor

Kind of frustrating though, no information on drivers on the Asus Vivotab page, or is it still too early?

5. nnthemperor

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  6. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

If your tablet is discharged, it will recharge from your keyboard dock. It's a pretty smart system. In my experience, provided the tablet's fully charged, it won't drain the keyboard battery (but for the very slow discharge to maintain sleep until it hibernates). From the tablet's perspective, the keyboard is essentially the same as being plugged in.

7. Inkermoy

Oh, it was my understanding that the tablet will just use power from the dock instead of actually charging it. I'll put it to the test: dock is fully charged and tablet is at 59%. I'll leave it sit together for the night and look at levels in the morning.

8. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Interesting that you are saying that people have this 11.6" 16:9 CloverTrail TabletPC with a Wacom digitizer when it just hit the FCC for approval:

Asus VivoTab, Acer Iconia Tab W511 hit the FCC - Liliputing

Is Asus selling them prior to FCC approval and getting away with it? How interesting...

9. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

Totally interesting. I've wondered why there aren't more people sharing their experiences on here. It's super early days. The Asus support site has no drivers of any type. I bought mine from buyspry.com (FWIW, real good experience) but maybe there are fewer of these in the wild than I thought.

In any event, awesome machine. See the preorder thread for more, including pictures of mine next to an 11.6" MBA.

10. nnthemperor

"Interesting that you are saying that people have this 11.6" 16:9 CloverTrail TabletPC with a Wacom digitizer when it just hit the FCC for approval:

Asus VivoTab, Acer Iconia Tab W511 hit the FCC - Liliputing

Is Asus selling them prior to FCC approval and getting away with it? How interesting..."

That's definitely another Asus product, I'm guessing the Vivotab smart, lilliputing's got their information mixed up. A lot of outlets have been selling the Vivotab tf810 since last month.

11. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I made this diagram to show you my problems with the pen accuracy on the Vivo. I'm just posting this at the moment, I'll post my review and some videos later.

EDIT: But I wanted to say that so far THE ONLY drawing application that has BEAUTIFULLY GOOD pressure sensitivity response its the Microsoft Journal program. It just works as It should, that is: doing fast strokes produced perfect smooth curves, not spiky ones at the start of the curve stroke like in other programs like Sai, Photoshop etc that require other pen driver that I still can not install (the TabletPc driver from Wacom site "Tabletpc not detected on this system".

EDIT2: Also I'm having problems with some of the applications that I wanted to use with this tablet the most. I refer to Google Earth and Scummvm point and click adventure games emulator. Google Earth produces huge graphic glitches instantly and/or crashes afterwards. Scummvm works badly using touch control or stylus and doesn't resize in fullscreen, also It was very difficult to go back to the desktop. I hope asus updates it's drivers soon on his homepage, but seeing the many problems that users of tablet pcs like the Ep121 or Samsung slate are still having, I'm a bit worried about the time we will have to wait to get things fixed.

View attachment 2900

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  12. Inkermoy

Okay it's the morning and some 13 hours or so later, woke the Asus out of bed. I had to reseat the tablet because it said that Battery #2 was not present. That being said, Tablet battery is up to 88% and Keyboard battery down to 51%. So you were right, sir, the dock is Charging and not just mantaining the tablet.

Just need to get my Wacom driver problem fixed and it's a keeper. :D

13. Inkermoy

I feel yer pain on the Wacom driver issue. So far the pen sensitivity (maybe overtly a bit too sensitive, really dark pencil lines) has not been a problem in Manga Studio. Fluid lines, but I really do need my button assignments to make it really functional.

From my experience, I'm seeing the same "wonkiness" that you are when the pen gets to the edge of the tablet screen. I experience the same thing on my S7S that I've had for a year. An annoyance to be sure, especially when trying to click back to desktop in the lower right corner but still doable. It could be some sort of interference as you say with the frame or workings of the tablet. The slates also use the older Penabled technology so I don't think they can be really compared to the Cintiq models. The Cintiqs aren't also squishing a whole computer behind the screen as well. As for not appearing on the ATIV, I do think the problem was still there, but my memory is a bit hazy from the 4 days I had it.

All in all, the annoyance with the border is not a deal breaker for me as I am loving the mobility of drawing digitally.

14. Tonitti

I agree, as soon as proper pressure sensitive drivers are released I can forgive everything else, even the problem I'm having with my right top speaker, that appears to be broken/loose and produces a buzzing very annoying sound when bass sounds are playing. I don't know if it's Asus or Wacom's fault but they can't expect windows 8 tablets to sell like hotcakes while all of these pen and graphics problems remain.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  15. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I think the TF810C went to the FCC at least a month ago.

But, if you go the Asus web site, select Products and then select Tablets, you will get a list of all Asus tablets. The TF810C tablet is not there. The RT is on the list. I have to think that Asus does not consider the TF810C to be a "released" product.

Regards, Jim

16. Inkermoy

To continue the issue with not being able to load the Wacom 7.1.0.8 driver on Windows 8, I emailed Wacom Support that told me to contact Asus, which I just got off of Live Chat and telephoned their Notebook department. Not surprising, the tablet is so new the staff were essentially clueless, the person on the phone was saying I was using a Windows RT tablet. They had no solutions to the "A supported tablet can not be found on the system" message/error. I hate to do this, but I guess I'll have to start an RMA to buyspry.com and buy a Samsung ATIV 500T.

I really did like the battery life on this thing with the keyboard dock, but if I can't use the tablet for the main purpose I bought it for (drawing digitally), it's not worth the 900+ bucks. :(

17. Tonitti

These were also exactly my thoughts about this issue. I will still wait a bit, patiently till they release proper drivers (It's incredible there are still none on their site!).

18. Inkermoy

Yeah, they seem to be lagging behind their releases. I exclusively use their motherboards and even some video cards for my desktops for years, shame to be moving on for other hardware. But there's only a slim window for RMAing something so I gotta bail. Hopefully it will work out for you.

19. carrieta17

carrieta17 Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question regarding battery life ? What is your battery life like without the dock when sleeping.. mine seems to drain fast.. I tried finding a hibernate option but I only get sleep. Thanks

20. Tonitti

I'm still configuring the tablet and had not much time to test battery life, that in general it has been great. But I put it to sleep 20 minutes ago at 90% battery and turned it on 20 minutes later and it's still at 90%. Maybe It consumes some little more energy if you left open any IM program or similar ones that can use its "Always on" feature, but I'll have to check it.

Btw, on my old Asus netbook 901, I could saw the battery time remaining, but I can't on this tablet. I wonder if to enable this feature some Asus drivers must be installed (when they are released), or if I can enable it in W8.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012