Asus Vivo Tab T810C - case

Discussion in 'Asus' started by inzimam, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone got a decent cases for the tablet part?

The leather case that comes with the laptop isn't bad, but its a pocket rather than a case as you can't use the laptop while in the case.

Also the leather folio is too side for a snug fit on the tablet on it's own.

2. NewYorker545

NewYorker545 Pen Pal - Newbie

Check out the ones mentioned in a previous post:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/55700-alternative-factory-tablet-case-there-one.html

Edit: The case that comes with the Vivotab fits well enough without the keyboard since the case flap is adjustable with the magnetic closures. However, with these magnets, if I have the tablet resting on the case while handwriting in OneNote, I realized the magnets underneath the tablet were distorting my writing.

I ordered the Slimbook case, which is supposed to be available March 8. My concern is if the case will interfere with handwriting as I get closer to the edge or if it gets in the way of my palm while resting near the edge of the tablet.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

The magnets were messing with my screen, turning it off and on, and all other crazy stuff. I dont recommend putting tablet on the magnet part. Leaving it on the table is fine, as long as you dont slide it around and scratch the nice brushed aluminum.

4. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Tha'ts a good point, the other day I was having a weird issue on the screen. I would try to draw a straight line with the pen and it was automatrically curve at a point. I basically coloured in the area and it was curving away all the time. I had no clue what it was, I feared part of the screen digitizer was broken. Thanks to you comment it was probably due to the magnet as I was resting on the folio case!

5. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

Another update on the magnets in stock case:

They are indeed messing with the screen. These are the problems I found associated with this:
    1. Screen will flicker, possible random one off moments of tablet going into sleep.
    2. Messes with capacitance of the pen, where the magnets are located. The location on the screen will mess with the pens point location 'pushing' the courser/point to the side of the magnets location. This messes with any pen related action in those two locations of the screen. Since there are two magnets.
    3. This happened to me once. Very serious issue! I posted about this before but now I know what happened. The magnets where messing with my screen, when I was taking notes in Onenote and reader. One of the two programs at the time crashed\froze with extensive screen on off\ sleep mode fluctuation the tablet froze. I was forced to restart. After restart the two points where magnets where located under tablet, the screen did not recognize the pens capacitance. This only effected one orientation of the screen. Meaning this was a software and hardware(capacitive screen) issure due to the crash, and force restart. Refresh did nothing, driver change did nothing. After each on off cycle of tablet and screen rotation, the points of dead space for the pen moved. After half hour of restarts and screen tests the dead spots were almost off the screen. Now everything works fine and efficiently. I should add, It took roughly 3-4 hours to refresh, re-install all updates and drivers, then reconfigure all settings and apps on the tablet. Then extra time of excessive testing and use, with restarts to get rid off the two dead spots. Never again!

Bottom line is, NEVER PUT TABLET DOWN ON TOP OF THE MAGNETS LOCATED ON THE FLAP OF THE COVER. The inner flap is just a metal strip, but the outer contains two magnets. They can damage memory, capacitance of both the screen and pen and **** up your screen. Asus should be informed about this. In fact there should be a warning on these cases so everyone doesnt get what I got, spread the word fellow tf810 users.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

So is it that we can't use these cases or that you can't use the case while the tablet is on?

Scary!

7. NewYorker545

Just don't use the case or put the tablet on top of the case while it is on. The magnets are far enough away from the tablet when used as a stand. However, be careful of mechanical watches if resting your palms on the case flap when used as a stand. The watch would be very close to the magnets.

8. NewYorker545

I just received the Poetic Slimbook case for the TF810. Here is what I wrote in my Amazon review:

This case is very nicely designed, with all of the Vivotab's ports/controls accessible with cutouts in the case.

I had a few issues with the Asus folio-type case that came with the Vivotab. This biggest issue are the strong magnets in the flap that closes the Asus folio case. If I place the Vivotab on top of it and start writing, the 2 magnets distort the writing/drawing of the pen stylus. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't a defect in the Vivotab but the magnets underneath as I was writing. This Poetic case is a true case and not a folio sleeve, so the magnet are at the far edges of the case and do not interfere with the writing/drawing functions. Also, since the magnets are weaker, I am less worried about holding this case where it might be close to credit cards that I might have in my pockets.

The Poetic case has an elasic ribbon on the back, which is used to keep the cover in place when closed, and could also keep the cover in place when folded back underneath the tablet. There is also a thicker elastic strap on the inside front cover. This is useful when the cover is folded back and you want to hold the tablet while writing in portrait mode. Most of the time, I expect to be writing on a desk but I can see where this strap might come in handy while walking or standing while taking notes with the stylus. Both of these straps seem to be fairly thin, so I don't know how long the elastic will hold up or stretch out. I will give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt and not lower my rating at this time. Even so, neither elastic strap seems integral to the functioning of the case, so I could possibly live with the stretch if it happens.

The Poetic case cover can be folded back and held in place with a stiff tab on the back below the camera opening. This holds the Vivotab in landscape mode. With the Windows Start button on the bottom, the tablet is in a more upright position for viewing videos. With the Start button on the top, the tablet is a lower angle that is useful for typing. I found that the tablet can also be stood up in portrait mode, but only when the cover fold is on the left side (Start button on the left). For some reason, I can't keep the tablet in a stable portrait mode with the cover fold on the right side (Start button on the right).

So far, writing in OneNote, either in portrait mode or landscape mode, is not affected by the case covering the edges of the Vivotab. There is about a 1/4-inch space between the lit part of the display and the case covering the glass of the tablet. One problem I had while writing on the bare tablet in landscape mode and the Start button on the bottom. The heel of my palm would sometimes hit the Start capacitive button while writing. With the Poetic case, the case edge keeps my palm from activating the Start button, so I can write in both landscape modes, whereas uncovered, I had to write "upside down" in landscape mode.

One complaint that I would have is the placement of the stylus/pen holder loop. It is located on the back of the case near the rear camera opening. With the pen in the loop, it sticks out and in the way when placed down on a table surface. It would have much cleaner lines and better functionality if the elastic loop were placed on the either one of the short sides. This could have easily been done since the case covers both of the short edges of the tablet.

All in all, I would have given this case a rating of 4.5 given the above observations, but ended up with a 5 rating since the issues are minor and I wouldn't be able to do the case justice with a 4 rating.

The design changes I suggest shouldn't be all that difficult to incorporate in a re-design. If they make these changes, I would not hesitate to give a full 5 rating.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Good review.

I've just ordered mine from Amazon UK - Poetic-UK seller. It's shipped today but sent my USPS first class international so no idea how long that will take. They give an estimated date of 15th April. I sure hope not!