Asus Vivo Tab pressure sensitivity

Discussion in 'Asus' started by seashells, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seashells

seashells Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have Sketchbook Pro so I can't confirm this, but I thought I saw someone mention in another thread that it was actually working? I suppose I could try downloading the trial to see.

Some good news: I finally got some coherent feedback on the issue by going through the Asus North American FB page. I guess they're more liable to respond when the issues are made public? So far the page admin has been much more helpful than customer support, in the sense that they actually seem to understand how this stuff works (had me test with a different art program and so on). They have told me they're having someone look into the issue...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping for some more info soon.

In the meantime I'm downloading and installing the Photoshop CS6 trial, just to make sure the issue isn't that I'm using an older version of PS (CS5) since the Wacom rep mentioned that Win8 might not play nicely with versions older than 5.5. Will let you guys know if that works when it's done installing.

2. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice to hear they are being responsive. I have not upgraded my photoshop in a while (I think I am still on cs4). I tend to do 'pencils' in sketchbook or Corel Sketchpad, hence my query regarding SBP. I really hope asus fixes this as the tablet is really sweet looking otherwise.

3. seashells

Here's the latest response from the FB page admin:
    That's really reassuring to hear...clearly pressure sensitivity in Photoshop is supposed to work, it's just not working on our tablets for some reason.

I finished installing and testing CS6 with no luck. Still no pressure sensitivity, so having an older version of PS doesn't seem to be the issue. I also followed the above instructions and made sure Windows is up-to-date (it is). When I checked the LiveUpdate program, it didn't list any new updates, nor any history of past updates being installed, so maybe that's the issue, if we are supposed to be getting updates via that? In any case, I told all this to the FB admin. I'm guessing he's probably leaving or left work for the day, but hopefully we'll make more progress on this tomorrow!

I'm just relieved to finally have someone helpful and competent working on this on their end, and to be getting some reassuring answers that indicate the tablet should work with PS once we figure this out.

4. erik_bbb

erik_bbb Pen Pal - Newbie

pressure sensitivity is very good in sketchbook pro! i was surprised. theres some sensitivity in sketchbook express too, which is free from the ms store, but not as much.

also tried photoshop, and one thing is that its really annoying to use in tablet mode. its very very hard to scroll, as the scroller is so small, and the digitizer goes wonky at the edges. even using the stylus to do it is hard.
    need a proper touch optimized editing program. maybe snapseed would be better?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, Sketchbook Pro has pressure sensitivity. It works quite well, just a little bit of lag, nothing bad at all, just a bit slower than Journal that is my favorite program for sketching for now.

The other program that has pressure sensitivity is Artrage. It also has a little bit of lag but as Sketchbook Pro, not too much. I even tried the free old 1.0 version. but I noticed no difference using the same tools as newer versions in terms of lag.

Anyhow I mainly use Sai or Photoshop on my desktop, so Sketchbook or Artrage are quite useless for me, so I will keep waiting.

Btw. I have connected a Bamboo Fun tablet to the Vivotab and I have tried Sai and Photoshop, and what a difference real wacom drivers make! I can use 500px Sai Airbrushes with pressure sensitivity with no problems, I also have the ultra old Photoshop 4.0 and I also can use 999px brushes with no spacing and they also work very good. It's very sad that I have to connect another tablet to the Vivotab to get pressure sensitivity in these programs!

EDIT: Here is a list of the programs that I have testet searching for pressure sensitivity and the results (I guess anything that uses the Wacom Wintab driver will not work until drivers are released):

--ASUS VIVOTAB PRESSURE COMPATIBLE PROGRAMS WITHOUT PEN DRIVERS--

MICROSOFT JOURNAL (INSTALLED BY DEFAULT): PRESSURE
    SKETCHBOOK PRO: PRESSURE
    ARTRAGE: PRESSURE
    PHOTOSHOP 4.0: NO PRESSURE
    PHOTOSHOP CS6: NO PRESSURE
    PAINT TOOL SAI: NO PRESSURE
    GIMP 2: NO PRESSURE
    MYPAINT: NO PRESSURE
    PAINT.NET: NO PRESSURE
    SCULPTRIS: NO PRESSURE
    OPENCANVAS: NO PRESSURE

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

There is also pressure sensitivity on OneNote 2010. Not that anybody is using it to sketch.

So far OneNote is the one that i have found to have zero lag when writing, it's instant. This is not the case with the free metro styled OneNote.

7. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Seashells, how did you contact them on FB? I seldom use facebook so I do not know how to search their threads. I ordered the TF810 yesterday but canceled after reading this thread. I want this tablet primarily for use with Corel Painter 12. If it has no pressure control then it is virtually worthless to me.

8. seashells

I just posted on the wall of the Asus North America page.

From what they're telling me over there, pressure sensitivity in these programs is supposed to be a working feature, it's just not working on our tablets for some reason. Hopefully we'll have a fix soon!

9. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have a lot to learn about FB...as I assume the wall is just another name for posting a comment on their page. I just got word from Adorama that they accepted my return, or cancellation of the order because of this lack of pressure capability for those paint programs. Was sort of sad. I was really looking forward to this little lightweight tablet...but what good would it have been if it didn't work for my needs. I do hope this is solved soon. I will check this forum daily in hopes of hearing something positive about this.

10. seashells

I haven't heard from Asus again on this yet. I'm getting nervous again. I basically have a week left before my return window is up. I can't justify keeping this thing if I can't use it with Photoshop, so if I haven't gotten this fixed by then, it's sadly going to have to be returned. :/

It's a shame, I really really wanted to like this tablet. But the complete lack of support from Asus, no drivers, and the extreme difficulties contacting anyone for help is really souring the experience for me.