Asus Vivo Tab pressure sensitivity

Discussion in 'Asus' started by seashells, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seashells

seashells Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought the Asus Vivo Tab in the hopes of it being able to serve as a portable digital sketchbook, and was pretty dismayed to discover that I have no pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. As we all know, Asus hasn't provided any updated drivers on their support page for this tablet, and when I try installing Wacom's tablet PC drivers I get a message stating "a supported tablet was not found."

I saw at least one other person on the forum complaining about this issue. Do we know if this is a universal problem due to the correct drivers not being available yet, or is this only affecting certain tablets?

Am I right to assume that Asus should eventually release drivers to fix this problem? Or does anyone know of drivers available elsewhere that would fix it? Wacom's support told me I needed drivers from Asus as they did not have a Win8 tablet PC driver available, and Asus' customer support literally told me nothing but "So sorry for that you may wait for it." I am not entirely sure what that means...I assume she meant I may need to wait for it?

The whole thing is making me a little nervous, because this is a pretty expensive purchase to not be able to actually use it for its intended purpose. I can be patient and wait, I'm just worried about it never working.

On that note, can anyone confirm if any of the other Wacom digitizer Win8 tablets (like the Samsung Ativ) are providing pressure sensitivity in Windows (non app) programs? I'm just wondering if this is something I need to wait for from Asus, or from Wacom.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  2. kdeck

kdeck Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this exact issue and have not found a solution yet.

3. seashells

Does anyone know if there's some trick to getting decent customer service from them? I just need to know if they are going to provide drivers fixing this issue eventually, or if I need to return the tablet, but I can't seem to get that information from them. :[

Whenever I try contacting customer support via email, there seems to be a language barrier (I can't understand the replies, it looks like they've been run through a translator) and I can't seem to get through on the phone or through live chat.

4. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

What have others thought about the stylus performance on Asus?
    Tried that Asus own note software and like expected it wasn't any good. Then tried OneNote that should be smooth (example on ATIV smart PC with Wacom as well), but the performance of the stylus is still laggy

So is this a driver issue or do people find the pen to perform well for notes on the first startup?

5. seashells

Writing/drawing in OneNote is a tiny bit laggy, although it's mild enough that I actually didn't notice until you mentioned it and I went to go check for myself. But I haven't played around with the pen much since I can't get pressure to work in Photoshop. Not sure if I'd notice it more there. I need to test it doing my typical sort of work, which unfortunately I can't do until they release working drivers. :/

I didn't really expect Cintiq-level responsiveness since it's a much less powerful system than my desktop setup, but this is my first tablet PC so I wouldn't know if that's something I should be expecting or not.

6. seashells

Another thing about the pressure sensitivity: I'm still confused as to whether this is a Wacom issue or an Asus issue. I'm seeing people in the Samsung forum downloading the Win8 tablet PC drivers from Wacom's site to get their tablet experience up to par...my problem is I can't actually install that driver at all. When I contacted wacom again they explained that driver is in beta. So is it on them to make it compatible with Asus or vice-versa?

Sorry if these are stupid questions...I am not super tech-savvy. I just sort of expected pressure to work with everything out of the box.

Edit: Here is the latest response I got from Wacom:
    So I guess it is an Asus issue then?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  7. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, maybe it was me you were refering, I, and everyone else as far as I know are having the same problem, or it's better to say Asus is having a problem releasing any driver for this tablet, not just the wacom ones. I have tried installing almost 10 different kinD of TabletPC drivers from other vendors: Samsung, Lenovo, older drivers etc. None works so far. The same "Tablet not found" message pops up ups every time. So as I have said many times: ASUS, TIME TO WAKE UP!

I have this tablet turned off all the day waiting for some drivers so I can use this tablet with the main purpose I bought It, to make digital artwork using Sai or Photoshop. That's the reason I paid an extra money for it. :mad:

Btw pressure works beautifully in Microsoft JOURNAL program, quick response, beautiful brushtrokes for inking. The day some drivers are released I will quickly post it here, so we all can jump at the same time and say "aleluya".

EDIT: As I said in another thread, I emailed Wacom about this, the girl was very kind and responsive, she told me to try TabletPc drivers but I told her that was the first thing I did and that It dindnt work, she told me she will try to get in conctact with Asus, so let's pray.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  8. seashells

Yes I believe it was you.

I finally got through to the customer support hotline and they were entirely unhelpful. First they told me this device is not compatible with a stylus (I assume they thought I meant the Vivo Tab RT, even though I specified the model number). Then when I explained it came with a stylus they put me on hold for a long long while, finally came back, and told me the problem was because I downloaded Photoshop from adobe.com rather than the Windows metro store, and that if I download it through the metro store, it should work. I tried to explain to them that it's not possible to download this program through the metro store, and tried to explain that I think it's a driver issue. They kept insisting it was not. Finally I just asked if there would be updated drivers available for this tablet on the Asus website and they basically told me I would have to wait for those, but couldn't confirm whether or not that would fix my problem.

In short I feel like the support person I spoke with knew even less about computers than I do, and it was all very frustrating and did not answer any of my questions. :/

I'm kind of at a loss here. I think I have 30 days from the purchase date to return the tablet (bought it from the Microsoft store) which I ideally do not want to do...but like you, this is the main reason I bought it, so I'm really really nervous by the total lack of support for this tablet. It seems like no one there even knows it exists. I wish someone could just confirm for me that these problems will eventually be fixed so I knew whether or not to keep it.

9. tissot

tissot Pen Pal - Newbie

This is really worrisome. :(
    Asus is kind of a weird company when it comes to this. I have always trusted them on PC parts and they make some amazing products there (like Essence STX), but they have this kind of similar problems on Android and rather than always fixing them, they just move to next hardware in couple of months.
    Hopefully we hear from them soon.

10. Ihmotep

Ihmotep Pen Pal - Newbie

This does not sound good. I also want a portable sketchpad (with IE device, etc.) and have narrowed my list down to 3 possible tablets: Asus Vivo Tab (Wacom Confirmed), Surface Pro (Not sure yet if it is Wacom) or a Thinkpad 2 (again, not sure if it is Wacom). Depending on if the other 2 are Wacom or not will erase or add them to the final list. Right now the Vivo Tab is at the top as it is for sure a Wacom but if no pressure sensitivity then I have no use for it. :-/

Has anyone tried it with Sketchbook Pro? Does it work correctly with it?