Asus Unveils a Rugged Tablet PC and UMPC at CeBit

Discussion in 'News Headlines' started by Gautam, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

Asus kicks off CeBit with the introduction of two new devices. The first is a 13.3-inch widescreen convertible Tablet PC, which conforms to the IP 54 standard for sand and water protection. The Tablet's codenamed Rugged Military NB, so my guess is it will be targeted toward military or government use. This Tablet kind of resembles Asus's R1F Tablet, but with a ruggedized chassis and housing.

[​IMG]

The Asus 13.3-inch rugged Tablet codenamed Rugged Military NB.

[​IMG]

Back view of the Rugged Military NB.

The second device Asus debuted was a UMPC that contains a keyboard, codenamed the Highly Integration UMPC. It resembles the R2H and it even contains some of the same features like GPS, but still looks to be an upgrade. It will feature a 7-inch (800 x 480) display with 1.3-megapixel camera and a power-saving VIA processor. The Highly Integration UMPC looks to be more like a mini-tablet and will have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.

[​IMG]

The Asus Highly Integration UMPC front view.

[​IMG]

The Highly Integration UMPC showing the swivel screen.

No word on how much these Tablets will cost or even when we might see them on the market, but at least we got a glimpse of what the future will bring. They might even come with different names, so keep your eyes peeled and we will keep you updated on what else we discover.

Via CNET

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks Tiffany.... Appreciate the news.

It will be interesting to hear how the ASUS 'Mini PC' compares with the likes of the Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens P1610.

This screen is smaller at 7", over the 8.9" on the P1610.
    However, the resolution will be the easiest to work which to go for, with the ASUS Mini only offering 800x480 against the 1280x768 of the P1610.

I rather liked the ASUS R2H when it first came out... so much so that I bought one and used it for a good 4 months before selling it and upgrading my P1510 to a P1610.

Although I love my T4210 machines to bits, it's going to take an awful lot to convince me the new ASUS model will be anything up to the same stakes.

3. Tiffany Boggs

Tiffany Boggs Editor/Site Admin Senior Member

I am waiting to see what the mini-tablet will be like as well. It is being compared to the Fujitsu P1610, so I guess we will have to wait and see. The rugged Tablets always amaze me with all they can withstand.

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

I'm excited about the UMPC! That looks really neat.

The rugged R1F is good too, but it will be too expensive for the most of us. :(