Asus Transformer Pro 3 fails to live up to it's promises?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DRTigerlilly, Sep 23, 2016.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The Asus Transformer Pro 3 has been reviewed by Ultrabook Review and it seems that for a few of the proposed features/functionality Asus has fallen short.

A user over at the eVe forums outlines some of the shortcomings

Screen:
    Promised: 450 nits of brightness
    Delivered: 261-282 with lots of glare

Battery:
    Promised: All day performance with fast charging (60% in 50 minutes)
    Delivered: 5hrs with light browsing and cloud apps, screen @ 40% Wifi ON balanced power
    2/12 hrs with heavy browsing in Edge, screen @ 40% Wifi ON balanced power

etc...

Have any of the OEM's equalled or bettered Microsoft's Reference model of the Surface Pro?

2. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is that a user on the same eve forums that has users that constantly negatively spam any article about any other tablet? Must be legit then.....

3. mSSM

mSSM Pen Pal - Newbie

The review seems legit. Maybe the device was defective and/or the reviewer messed up some measurements.

But in any other case the two things that are, in my eyes, of primary importance are a complete failure: screen brightness and battery life.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The three shortcomings are the brightness (280 vs 400 nits), the battery life (5.5 hours light browsing vs "all day battery") and the quality of the speakers (faint vs "powerful sound")

Breaking promises suck, but even with these broken promises, the Transformer 3 Pro is still in the upper echelon of pen tablets.

5. mSSM

mSSM Pen Pal - Newbie

It certainly is good if you consider it a classical notebook. However, everything that makes it a good tablet it fails at miserably (namely, the atrocious screen brightness and battery life).

I quite frankly don't need a tablet which I can't carry outside, and which I need to keep recharging all the time.

I was hoping to get something I could take outside to do some light programming on and reading scientific articles. If I have to stay inside because I can't see anything or have it dying on my any moment, then I can just stare at my big 27" screen.

6. mva5580

mva5580 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm honestly just about done caring about any of these tablet PC's, because all that seems to happen is over promising/under delivering when it comes to their specs, performance, and most importantly (for me at least) battery life.

When these tablets can get an actual, legitimate 9+ hours of real world battery life, I'll start paying attention to them again. But as it stands, I'm pretty much done with them. I already have a problem with the price you're paying considering what you're getting, and little seems to be changing.

They don't need to be as thin as humanly possible at the sacrifice of other things, they don't need to have a crazy high resolution for those screen sizes, and it's just damn hard for me to swallow paying ~$1,500 (SP4 w/keyboard) for a device with an i5 dual core processor, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD, a 12" screen, and like ~5.5 hours of battery life.

hiramkey and alextrela182 like this.
  7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Totally agree.
    In wrong direction is most of the OEM including MS with surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While I'm also kinda disappointed in the initial performance, the reviewer specifically disclaims he was working with a non-final sample:
    "Unfortunately I can’t draw any conclusions on this aspect from the time I’ve spent with my sample, which like I said above, performed rather erratically. That’s why I’m also not going to post benchmark results or stress-test impressions, but I plan to update the article once the final retail versions are available and I hopefully get to spend time with one."

I typically will wait for several reviews (plus user feedback on these forums ;)) before writing off a tablet.

Also with Asus, if anyone is familiar with the EP121, it could range from absolute poor performance to a smooth, extremely functional slate, depending on a key firmware mod and a few component upgrades.

In short, with Asus, always factor in the possibility hardware/firmware mods, because they are one of the last OEMs to allow convenient internal access on their devices—and these mods can totally transform the device (no pun intended :)).

9. m3tpe

m3tpe Pen Pal - Newbie

The only problem is... I don't think we can actually mod or tweak the Transformer 3 Pro.
    I was one of the early adopters for Asus Zenbook Ux21 Series. The first one that I got from them had issues with the keyboard not registering unless you hit on the dead center of the key (even then it would sometimes not work). It also had dead pixel issues which led me to pass the zenbook up and return the device. I did even up getting a replacement (another zenbook). This time, was able to change out the ram sticks and upgrade the SSD. After totally uninstalling everything and cleaned up the system, it was much better.

This seems to be in the same situation as the first/2nd gen zenbooks. They just push out the system to get sales and keep production. Never really tested the device.
    I'm hoping they stay on top of software updates as I really want to buy one of these.