ASUS Transformer Mini T102HA-C4-GR

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Variable, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

The price for this seems great.

How is the pen? I am tempted to upgrade my Dell Venue 11 Pro to this.
    So far I have not had any speed issues with my Dell but I like the additional RAM and better form factor.
    I really hated the pen on the Dell - is this any better. I really want to get a replacement for notes on paper.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

IIRC, Venue 11 Pro pen was Synaptics. The pen for this Asus is MPP manufactured by one of the Chinese licensees, so it's a generic N-Trig. This means you can buy the Wacom Bamboo Ink for it and have a great pen if you wish for $70, if the packed in MPP pen is not good.

I have a feeling that the packed in pen is probably as good as SP3 pen, and better than VAIO Z pen.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've used the pen in stores......its definitely on par with the Pro 3 pen. It should be fine for note taking....but it was my understanding that the Pro 3 Era N-trig and Atom Cherry Trail was not the best combination for good pen performance. Heck Shog, didn't you make a video a few years back demonstrating just that on your Surface 3?

4. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

So nobody has this essentially?
    Tempted to get it since the smaller Galaxy Book is still nowhere to be had and also way too expensive ...

5. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had one for about 6 months. I use it for vacations where I need the access to Windows 10 programs and no heavy-duty inking requirements. The inking is not nearly as good as the Galaxy Book 10 (or any of the Galaxy Notes with Wacom digitizer), but is sufficient for brief notes and signatures. Limited in memory and disk storage, but I have the full Office 365 loaded and have 10-15 gb to spare for files.

I tried a Galaxy Book 10 at Best Buy, and it is a much more capable device.

Ron

6. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Thank you for the insight.
    You must have something wrong with your free space.
    Windows + office should leave you with at least 30gb free. That is also the same as the Galaxy (since the 128gb version is MIA).

Surprised about the negativity on performance: yes, the galaxy is significantly faster, but it should be at least 15-25% faster than my Dell Venue and that is plenty fast.

How long does it take to charge via USB?
    Can it charge from a 2A phone charger (even if slow)?

7. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Have now had this for a couple of weeks:

Great device and form factor.
    It works but it is slower than I thought it would be. I have a Dell venue 8 Pro (same screen resolution but previous gen z3xxx Atom) and the Dell feels faster than this Asus. Really surprised by this since I thought the z8xxx in this should be faster. WTF did intel do? I also want to say the eMMC memory is maybe slower - will have to run a benchmark test.

Otherwise, this is the perfect form factor size wise and the inclusion of a normal USB, USB micro (for charging, though this should be USB C in 2017), micro HDMI and SD card slot should be mandatory on all tablets of this size. I also really like the fingerprint reader and the kickstand.

This tablet also charges very well from a normal phone charger - I have a couple of tablet/phone chargers doing 2A/5V which work great.

Battery life is pretty great, especially since the display is blindingly bright, so I usually keep it around 40%-50% almost always.

The pen is much better than the $#%@ pen on the Dell Venues. I would say that it is not better or worse than any tablet pen I have ever used (x60t, x61t, x201t, Dell Venue Pro 8, Dell Venue Pro 11 and briefly a Surface Pro 1).
    The one negative about the pen: that loop is crap, crap, crap! They should just make a proper loop on the keyboard that doesn't rip from looking at it.

I may try the Samsung Galaxy Book 10 - while it is much faster, I am not sure that makes up for all the other stuff it is lacking.
    Aside from speed, I would say that Asus hit it out of the ballpark.

Pros:
    - size
    - display
    - ports (USB, micro USB charging, micro HDMI, SD card)
    - pen works
    - battery life
    - good USB charging even with normal chargers

Cons:
    - speed (works but slow, even for office)
    - pen loop is crap

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  8. Variable

Variable SiteCharts.com

Here are my Crystaldiskmark results:

Seq Q32T1 150.5 / 54.97
    4k Q32 T1 34.7 / 13.49
    Seq 121.0 / 55.37
    4k 9.506 / 12.66

I wonder if these can be improved with other drivers directly from intel (I am using stock Win10 from a clean install)