Asus TF810C: No wake up after extended standby or is the display just disabled?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by hglathe, Jan 5, 2013.

1. hglathe

hglathe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I think that some of you already wrote about the problem, that the TF810C doesn't wake up from standby or hibernation after a while.
    In consequence, you have to press the On/Off-button >8 secs to make a cold restart by pressing the On/Off-button again.

Disconnected from the keyboard dock the problem holds, but you can press the Windows button on the bottom of the touchpad and you will recognize a vibration from the tablet. Thus I'm thinking that the tablet Computer is awaked from the standby/hibernation mode and the OS and all programs are still running. It seems to be that the Display is just black / inactive and I have no idea how to switch it on afterwards by hand.

Can anyone confirm my theory?

Thanks in advance, Helko

2. themugger

themugger Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, as you mentioned there is another post on this and I was one of those with the issue. I defiantly remember shutting my tab down though and it wasn't in stanby mode. Like you said it must be the display as you can hear and feel the buzz when you press the power button or use the reset button. ive had to send mine of for repair as I couldn't get it on at all. have you had any luck with yours then?

3. hglathe

hglathe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, currently I've still that problem. I think I have to disable all energy saving behavior to prevent standby or hibernation states. But this is not enough for a workaround. When I do a shut down of the computer the problem holds. I can still hear and feel the buzz when touching the Windows button on the tablet. The shutting down problem is the reason why I have to make a cold reset by pressing the Power button more than 8secs so frequently.

Does anybody else have such problems?

Have you already send your computer for repair? Has it been fixed?

4. hglathe

hglathe Pen Pal - Newbie

Another diagnosis,

When modifying the energy saving plan so, that the computer shall go into state of idle instead of going into energy saving mode when pressing the power button or when closing the tablet to the dock. Additionally I disabled that the computer shall awake fast. Now the computer is really in the state of idle after ca 30 seconds. No response from the Windows button on the tablet until I shortly hold the power button and the computer resumes. Moreover, I disabled the feature for fast start up in the energy settings.

5. themugger

themugger Pen Pal - Newbie

yes i cant actually get a display on my screen anymore! 5-10d days they reckon to return!

6. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

Just out of curiosity, have you updated the Intel chipset drivers I found from HP? Look at Breed's summary thread for a list of drivers available. I know they are not ASUS released, but work fine.

It really cleared up a lot of issues I had.

7. Tnext

Tnext Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is doing this too now: for the last 3 days my screen has stayed black.
    Has anyone successfully rewoken a black-screen tf810c?

The only indicators I get are the 'buzz' when attempting restarts, and led lights to indicate charging or restarting.

I foolishly had not installed the drivers mentioned on the other threads, and was patiently re-docking my machine to get the touchpad to be recognized after sleep.

I've tried many combinations of these things:
    reset with paperclip
    holding down power button
    using windows start 'button' on tablet
    plugged/unplugged restarts and resets
    docked/undocked restarts and resets
    output to HDMI and redirecting many times screen output
    many function buttons
    plugging in USB powered syncing devices to see if they get recognized or powered
    restarts with and without microSD card
    headphones plugged in (yes, this is desperation kicking in)
    restart/resets with recovery flash usb drive plugged in

Tech support said to send it in; I will do that tomorrow but if anyone has suggestions I'd appreciate that.

The sequence that started this all was that while docked and open, I chose the sleep option from the windows shutdown menu, then immediately folded it into closed laptop position.

Other than that... I really like this machine.

8. anihilati

anihilati Pen Pal - Newbie

I am afraid you mix two symptoms.
    The first is referred to as "VivoTab dead". As far as I understand, it reveals after you shut your tablet down and try to start it again after some time. There is no answer except short buzz. But the screen leaves blank. Correct me if I am wrong - all the "VivoTab dead" cases revealed after switching the device off (not after putting it in sleep mode).
    The second situation (described originally in this thread) happens when the tablet go to the sleep mode. You cannot make it wake up. But you can switch it off and switch it on again. Still the windows button behaves strange (buzzing even after the tablet is forced to shut down).
    If I am right, these are different cases, which may be or may not be related.
    I must admit, that the second case happened to me once, after leaving my Vivotab for a night in sleep mode.
    But it started then (after holding power button for more than 8 seconds).

9. vadimpelau

vadimpelau Scribbler - Standard Member

Power + volume down (bios if im not mistaken), Power volume up? Power and pressing esc repeatedly?

I once had an issue with a crappy firmware for my ssd that broke power management. Not even bios would enter completely. The solution was easy, entering bios (or at least starting to) and waiting. It's the so called "power cycling". The laptop would then start as nothing had happened in ab 15 minutes.

I suggest you plug it in, Power+& vol- and let it wait for a while. Maybe HDMI connected too. I'd say to leave it for an hour.

Best of luck and no worries, It's their duty to fix it if this doesn't work.

10. Tnext

Tnext Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for the various button combination suggestions, I'll try them tonight. Even if they don't work I'll feel better for trying everything before sending it in, I've grown quite attached to this thing.

Regarding the other poster's comments about mixing 2 issues - that could easily be the case, I'm not very familiar with this.