Asus Tablet 810 or Transformer Book: Which Will be the EP121's Successor?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by ThornyJohn, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThornyJohn

ThornyJohn Pen Pal - Newbie

Following today's announcement of the upcoming Asus tablets and convertibles (story link: Asus Tablet 600, Tablet 810, and Transformer Book pictures and hands-on - Pocket-lint), which model do you think will take the place of the now discontinued EP121?

I automatically discounted the Tablet 600 because it will run WIN RT instead of full Windows 8. I believe a large portion of EP121 users want compatibility with Photoshop, Painter, Sketchbook, Manga Studio, SAI, etc., and that precludes WIN RT.

The tablet 810 runs full Windows 8 and has a digitizer pen (yay!) but its Intel Atom processor and 2GB of RAM sounds like a downgrade, not an improvement over the EP121.

The Transformer Book, with its i7 Ivy Bridge processor, 4GB RAM, and screen sizes of 11.6", 13" and 14" at 1920x1080 resolution sounds like the dream EP121 replacement, but...no Wacom digitizer stylus support??? Say it isn't so!

I'd pay a pretty price for a 13" Transformer Book with Wacom digitizer support. Would you?

edit: spelling error fixes ftw!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It looks like the best full power x86 Ivy Bridge Asus offering with a pen is the TAICHI. I like the screen concept but it looks like touch only works on the outside screen and it's an N-trig digitizer and I've never had good luck with those. But this guy I just have to get because of the screen I think.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...We may not have seen the replacement just yet...

4. ThornyJohn

True...there may well be another eeSlate coming. I'd be okay with that too, but since the Tablet 810 and Transformer Book are already announced, I figured I'd start the conversation rolling. I do like the idea of a Transformer keyboard/dock a lot due to its second battery and possibility of 10+ hour battery life.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Who say's it is so?....none of the promotional material for the Transformer Book say's it doesn't have a pen.

The Transformer Book really just seems to be the same overall device as the Tablet 810, just with much more powerful specs, and different screen sizes.

Since the Book is obviously going to be more expensive then the 810....leaving Wacom out would seem like a really weird decision.

Honestly I'm more interested in the 810 then the Book because at least with Netbook guts, its almost guaranteed to have somewhat decent battery life......which was the ep121's greatest fault. I'd be very skeptical of the Books real time battery life.

the fact that the 810 is also being touted as being Thinner then the Ipad.....and will probably produce less heat then the core i7 Book....I think the 810's gonna be the real winner of the bunch.

I wanna agree that the Taichi would be the best one...but N-trig just ruins it....so tragic :(

One thing I'm wondering though is if the Keyboard docks are going to be included? Given how the Book is available in 3 sizes...buying the right sized dock seperate could be troublesome. And the fact that...at least the 810 doesn't have a USB port on the Tablet itself....would really cripple it on its own.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. pion2099

pion2099 Pen Pal - Newbie

Currently it looks like the Book will have the dock included because it's being treated primarily as a notebook. That might change tho much like how the eee slate lost it's docking keyboard for some reason.

9. ThornyJohn

Too much up in the air...Clover Trail is an Atom processor, no? Have they upgraded the mediocre performance of these? They did state in the article that they were considering putting in a notebook-level CPU in it, so maybe there will be an actual Ivy Bridge CPU in there.

They also mention that the screen appears to be 10-11 inches in size. Frankly, if that's the case: 10-11" screen witn Atom CPU, then I'll just get the Tablet 810 instead; same specs and I trust Asus more than Samsung.

10. ThornyJohn

Heh...the first time I saw the dual-screen setup of the Taichi, I thought "Cool! They're making a laptop to play Battleship natively!"

D4...
    miss...
    c6...
    You sunk my Taichi!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.